MOT on cars still under warranty

My car is due for MOT in April, I,m due to have it done at the place where I purchased it, I have a 12 month warranty that runs out in May, if the car were to fail would the garage have to repair it free of charge under the warranty?

Take it 1 month before its due if it passes it won't run out till May next year

No, it will still run out in april next year!

Also it is unlikely to be covered in the warranty as MOT failures are usually for consumables that won't be covered by the warranty like Tyres/Brakes/Lights etc.

My car is due for MOT in April, I,m due to have it done at the place where I purchased it, I have a 12 month warranty that runs out in May, if the car were to fail would the garage have to repair it free of charge under the warranty?

Some parts may be covered but its down to the warranty you have. However, I had a similar question to you some years ago with my car that had a warranty I had purchased extra when I bought the car. I didn't tell the garage about the warranty when I booked it in, I just waited for them to contact me about the MOT. They called to tell me X,Y & Z was wrong with the car and it had failed the MOT. Then I told them it had a warranty and so they can fix the problems, reMOT for free (as that was their policy) and I would collect the car when its done. They later called me back to say they had fixed the issues and the MOT had now passed. He then went on to list some "other" concerns he had, but he had not mentioned them when he first called. I said, I wasn't interested in fixing them and collected the car. Funny enough the car passed the MOT the following year with no recommendations.

---------- Post added 22-03-2013 at 21:06 ----------

No, it will still run out in april next year!

Also it is unlikely to be covered in the warranty as MOT failures are usually for consumables that won't be covered by the warranty like Tyres/Brakes/Lights etc.

You can MOT your car up to 1 month before the expiry. The expire date will not reflect the date you MOTed the car (one month early) but a year after the expiry date on the old certificate.

Some parts may be covered but its down to the warranty you have. However, I had a similar question to you some years ago with my car that had a warranty I had purchased extra when I bought the car. I didn't tell the garage about the warranty when I booked it in, I just waited for them to contact me about the MOT. They called to tell me X,Y & Z was wrong with the car and it had failed the MOT. Then I told them it had a warranty and so they can fix the problems, reMOT for free (as that was their policy) and I would collect the car when its done. They later called me back to say they had fixed the issues and the MOT had now passed. He then went on to list some "other" concerns he had, but he had not mentioned them when he first called. I said, I wasn't interested in fixing them and collected the car. Funny enough the car passed the MOT the following year with no recommendations.

---------- Post added 22-03-2013 at 21:06 ----------

You can MOT your car up to 1 month before the expiry. The expire date will not reflect the date you MOTed the car (one month early) but a year after the expiry date on the old certificate.

That is what I said. If MOT uruns out in April, even if you do it a month early it will still run out in April. What the other poster said makes no sense.

Archived