Detentions in schools - should parents be informed?

A friend of mine has asked me if her child has a 30 minute detention should she be informed. The child got was told they had a 30 minute detention a couple of days ago and my friend has not heard anything from the school.

I am not sure on what the policy is with this - I thought that if it was a 10 minute detention they didnt have to let parents know - but if it was longer than 10 minutes e.g. 30 minutes then they had to let parents know beforehand.

Does anybody on here know? Ive even looked on department of education website for information on there for her but it does not clarify anything.

As a parent myself I would be worried if my child did not come on time - particularly if they were going to be 30 minutes late. I am just trying to help my friend out but cant find any details anywhere.

---------- Post added 22-03-2013 at 20:54 ----------

I have just had a look on the school website for their policy. The policy is there (in the parent portal), but the appendix that outlines sanctions is not attached :S

ok - I will let her know that there is no clear information for her. Thanks :)

So in winter if your child has to walk home alone in the dark due to a detention that wouldn't worry you s2 ?

I know a lot of parents moan about this,but in my experience many could walk to school and collect their kids.They sometimes chose not to make the effort and imply the school is being onerous.

Archived