Detentions in schools - should parents be informed?

I thought the same but over the years i've come to accept their inept way of doing things.

If you accepted their methods why complain on the forum.It would be better to challenge the school rather than accept second best-most schools welcome a constructive exchange of views.Its how they improve.

If you accepted their methods why complain on the forum.It would be better to challenge the school rather than accept second best-most schools welcome a constructive exchange of views.Its how they improve.

It wasn't a complaint it was a statement of fact and served as an answer to what warrants detention these days as far as our kids school goes. I didn't complain to the school either as I had no reason to.

I am not sure on what the policy is with this - I thought that if it was a 10 minute detention they didnt have to let parents know - but if it was longer than 10 minutes e.g. 30 minutes then they had to let parents know beforehand.

Usually if it is more than 10 minutes after school the school will inform parents. This may simply be by a note given to the child to take home. Of course the note may not make it home to the parents.

Also, reasons for detentions are not normally as trivial as they may seem. Forgetting PE kit probably means repeatedly forgetting PE kit; forgetting to bring a form signed by parents probably means not bringing it in despite numerous reminders. Sometimes it's the only way to get children to do important things that they are expected to do - even trivial sounding things.

I only got detention a couple of times in senior school and my parents were never informed , this was back in the 70`s though when teachers did what they wanted without question.

IMO the worst teachers in those days were the junior school teachers .

They never informed my parents or any kids parents when they had taken out their frustrations on us by hittin us every day cos we didnt get our sums right !

Detention is nothing compared to these cruel specimens and i wish i could serve the same up to them now they are defenceless like we were them days !

We get texts ...over everything! fail to take pencil - text.late - text non return of letter- text.detention - text....

This is the future of education,where every detail of your childs biography is recorded-swipe cards even monitor their meals and diet.

Archived