Detentions in schools - should parents be informed?

which is bad - how?

No I think its good:hihi:

---------- Post added 22-03-2013 at 22:29 ----------

Sounded like a grumble to me :D

No the gym rat is highly developed entrapment artist.He moves between threads seeking conflict which I abhor.I think I may have avoided a squabble this time:hihi:

No I think its good:hihi:

---------- Post added 22-03-2013 at 22:29 ----------

No the gym rat is highly developed entrapment artist.He moves between threads seeking conflict which I abhor.I think I may have avoided a squabble this time:hihi:

can hear you back tracking from here mate.

I love arguing, I argue all day and night - oh wait, no I mean I question, I question things all the time.

We get texts ...over everything! fail to take pencil - text.late - text non return of letter- text.detention - text....

This can be stopped quite easily. Get you child to get organised - remember to take a pen and pencil to school, remember to get there on time, remember to return those reply slips, etc. Again, it is usually repeat offenders who get these sort of texts. It's not a case of reporting every little thing your child does, but to try to get them all to do the most basic simple things that are expected of everyone.

This can be stopped quite easily. Get you child to get organised - remember to take a pen and pencil to school, remember to get there on time, remember to return those reply slips, etc. Again, it is usually repeat offenders who get these sort of texts. It's not a case of reporting every little thing your child does, but to try to get them all to do the most basic simple things that are expected of everyone.

I wasn't complaining merely responding to others who said don't get told anything - we are quite the opposite and get told everything.

and this isn't just my children but all kids at the school - the teachers have a button they press that sends automated texts at the beginning of each lesson because as you say its about keeping up the standards.

The only problem I do have is that the texts are very generic so then necessitate a call to school to establish what the "equipment" missing was and because I have 3 at the school to question which child it was as no names are on them either simply "your child was........."

I wasn't complaining merely responding to others who said don't get told anything - we are quite the opposite and get told everything.

and this isn't just my children but all kids at the school - the teachers have a button they press that sends automated texts at the beginning of each lesson because as you say its about keeping up the standards.

The only problem I do have is that the texts are very generic so then necessitate a call to school to establish what the "equipment" missing was and because I have 3 at the school to question which child it was as no names are on them either simply "your child was........."

It is called accountability and is likely to boost standards ,raise morale and keep parents on their toes.

In the UK, the Education Act 1997 obliges a (state) school to give parents or guardians at least 24 hours' notice of a detention outside school hours so arrangements for transport and/or childcare can be made. This should say why it was given and, more importantly, how long it will last (Detentions usually last from as short as 10 minutes or less to as long as 5 hours or more).

So it would depend on if its lunch time or a after School one.

Archived