Detentions in schools - should parents be informed?

In the UK, the Education Act 1997 obliges a (state) school to give parents or guardians at least 24 hours' notice of a detention outside school hours so arrangements for transport and/or childcare can be made. This should say why it was given and, more importantly, how long it will last (Detentions usually last from as short as 10 minutes or less to as long as 5 hours or more).

So it would depend on if its lunch time or a after School one.

5 hours detention-did you set the school on fire?

In the UK, the Education Act 1997 obliges a (state) school to give parents or guardians at least 24 hours' notice of a detention outside school hours so arrangements for transport and/or childcare can be made. This should say why it was given and, more importantly, how long it will last (Detentions usually last from as short as 10 minutes or less to as long as 5 hours or more).

So it would depend on if its lunch time or a after School one.

post #9...........

I have to say as a nanny , my boys were often kept in detention which caused no end of problems for me ! If the eldest was kept in we would miss collection time of the youngest and the bus which came once an hour , I didn't have a car in those days , I used to fetch the eldest out of school detention or not as I couldn't miss that bus and he couldn't get home without me , the school were understanding but didn't like it , I didn't have a choice , schools are legally bound to give notice , when the eldest went to secondary school he was kept back and missed the bus , he had the sense to ring us but then the next bus 1 hour later missed he came home at 7.45 pm which wasn't really good , I spoke with the school they said basically sorry , I told them they couldn't keep him unless they brought him home. I had 3 others at home and 1 special needs baby !

I don't think things like forgetting to sign for homework matter , what matters is the homework been done ! Many times I was rushed off my feet with the little ones , yes the homework was done but not signed for! Pe kits would often still be wet the next day because the tumble dryer hadn't been checked , that was down to me as I hadn't time to sort everything out , I was a nanny and often worked long hours when both parents were working away from sheffield , with 4 children. I always spoke to the school if there were problems , I believe communication is the best way

I have to say as a nanny , my boys were often kept in detention which caused no end of problems for me ! If the eldest was kept in we would miss collection time of the youngest and the bus which came once an hour , I didn't have a car in those days , I used to fetch the eldest out of school detention or not as I couldn't miss that bus and he couldn't get home without me , the school were understanding but didn't like it , I didn't have a choice , schools are legally bound to give notice , when the eldest went to secondary school he was kept back and missed the bus , he had the sense to ring us but then the next bus 1 hour later missed he came home at 7.45 pm which wasn't really good , I spoke with the school they said basically sorry , I told them they couldn't keep him unless they brought him home. I had 3 others at home and 1 special needs baby !

I don't think things like forgetting to sign for homework matter , what matters is the homework been done ! Many times I was rushed off my feet with the little ones , yes the homework was done but not signed for! Pe kits would often still be wet the next day because the tumble dryer hadn't been checked , that was down to me as I hadn't time to sort everything out , I was a nanny and often worked long hours when both parents were working away from sheffield , with 4 children. I always spoke to the school if there were problems , I believe communication is the best way

I think nannies are undervalued,and many employers place onerous burdens on them.Foreign nannies often get a raw deal.

Just tell your kid not to go detention.

What they gonna do?

I got detention once for making my drama teacher cry when she showed us a video of her being an extra on Coronation Street and I said she was rubbish in it. I didn't go, too boring.

Just tell your kid not to go detention.

What they gonna do?

Your child will think that you are immature and a poor role model.The school will invite you to find another school.You will now have even more issues to deal with in your life.Do you feel happy now?

Your child will think that you are immature and a poor role model.The school will invite you to find another school.You will now have even more issues to deal with in your life.Do you feel happy now?

Right. They'll kick you out because you didn't go to detention.

Archived