Detentions in schools - should parents be informed?

I have to say as a nanny , my boys were often kept in detention which caused no end of problems for me ! If the eldest was kept in we would miss collection time of the youngest and the bus which came once an hour , I didn't have a car in those days , I used to fetch the eldest out of school detention or not as I couldn't miss that bus and he couldn't get home without me , the school were understanding but didn't like it , I didn't have a choice , schools are legally bound to give notice , when the eldest went to secondary school he was kept back and missed the bus , he had the sense to ring us but then the next bus 1 hour later missed he came home at 7.45 pm which wasn't really good , I spoke with the school they said basically sorry , I told them they couldn't keep him unless they brought him home. I had 3 others at home and 1 special needs baby !

I don't think things like forgetting to sign for homework matter , what matters is the homework been done ! Many times I was rushed off my feet with the little ones , yes the homework was done but not signed for! Pe kits would often still be wet the next day because the tumble dryer hadn't been checked , that was down to me as I hadn't time to sort everything out , I was a nanny and often worked long hours when both parents were working away from sheffield , with 4 children. I always spoke to the school if there were problems , I believe communication is the best way

so basically, your kids suffered so mum could feel good helping another woman`s kids?

I think nannies are undervalued,and many employers place onerous burdens on them.Foreign nannies often get a raw deal.

I was well paid and was part of the family , and still am ! I loved the job even though there were hard times , to be fair I knew working for Doctors it would be demanding and hard work , I also knew I was in sole charge when at work and that I had to make decisions that seem as if i was going against authority but really it was part of giving proper care to the children in the family, also if we had to be home for the physio to call for the special needs child , I just had to do it , I loved it though , they did treat me exceptionally well over 23 years, Unlike some I have had good employers and been treated well.

---------- Post added 23-03-2013 at 16:54 ----------

so basically, your kids suffered so mum could feel good helping another woman`s kids?

no It was 4 days a week and their Mum and Dad were both surgeons which were needed , they had dedicated over 10 years of their lives in study and wanted to continue both part-time , I had and have no children of my own and the children never suffered

Just tell your kid not to go detention.

What they gonna do?

I got detention once for making my drama teacher cry when she showed us a video of her being an extra on Coronation Street and I said she was rubbish in it. I didn't go, too boring.

As a kid at school I remember being very proud of being in what the teachers said was 'the worst class in school' (although they probably said that to every class). But I eventually grew up and realised there was nothing cool about it at all. Who knows, you might even grow up one day.

---------- Post added 23-03-2013 at 18:33 ----------

In the UK, the Education Act 1997 obliges a (state) school to give parents or guardians at least 24 hours' notice of a detention outside school hours so arrangements for transport and/or childcare can be made. This should say why it was given and, more importantly, how long it will last (Detentions usually last from as short as 10 minutes or less to as long as 5 hours or more).

So it would depend on if its lunch time or a after School one.

5 hours? Shut up!

Just tell your kid not to go detention.

What they gonna do?

I got detention once for making my drama teacher cry when she showed us a video of her being an extra on Coronation Street and I said she was rubbish in it. I didn't go, too boring.

I am surprised you are prepared to admit to such conduct-frankly I would not boast about such an achievement.This really confirms my suggestion that you remain very ignorant and are a poor role model for your children.

I am surprised you are prepared to admit to such conduct-frankly I would not boast about such an achievement.This really confirms my suggestion that you remain very ignorant and are a poor role model for your children.

Having seen some of his posts on other threads I reckon that he's trying too hard to be a Troll. He really does need to be a little more subtle.

A friend of mine has asked me if her child has a 30 minute detention should she be informed. The child got was told they had a 30 minute detention a couple of days ago and my friend has not heard anything from the school.

I am not sure on what the policy is with this - I thought that if it was a 10 minute detention they didnt have to let parents know - but if it was longer than 10 minutes e.g. 30 minutes then they had to let parents know beforehand.

Does anybody on here know? Ive even looked on department of education website for information on there for her but it does not clarify anything.

Yes. Generally a school will require you to explain why your child is late or absent. Why should you not expect the same consideration in turn?

From memory I don't think I got much detention, slipper, cane oh yes; when detention didn't always go, and when did just sat there for 30 minutes or so. Used to tell my mum I'd be late home she'd just say okay.

But even though I was a sod at school, and yes I was; I've raised 3 brilliant kids, I've held jobs for 40 years and never been out of work. At school you learn there's a time to mess around, and a time to knuckle down, we pulled almost every prank imaginable, but we were mischievous not thugs like we have today.

I used to love a fag at back of metalwork room at break, and handing them out to our woodwork teacher when in his class (old Mr Jay), and he'd give us one back next time.

That's because in my day teachers were in the main respected, and we could laugh with & at them, but normally knew where to draw the line. I didn't get on with them all, but that's the same in adult life but you tolerate each other for a few hours.

Archived