What would happen if people on benefits were given more money?

What proportion of them are over-spending on fags, booze and take-aways. Where is the evidence?

Poor areas have poorer health, its not the case that people with less money do not drink and smoke. Why is that?

There is always work available. Everyone has a job. That job is to go out and earn enough money to feed themselves and their families. If no-one else is willing to employ you, create your own job. There are always things that people need doing and are prepared to pay for.

And are there umpalumpas & chocolate rivers in this Utopia you mention, for lots of reasons some cannot work no matter what, okay some don't want to but the ones that do far outweigh those that don't.

People cannot "create" jobs that's fantasy and you have to look at the fact why should people prostitute themselves just to look after their families, people do have pride you know.

People cannot "create" jobs that's fantasy and you have to look at the fact why should people work just to look after their families, people do have pride you know.

You have spelt if wrong, I have corrected it for you.

You have spelt if wrong, I have corrected it for you.

Spelt nothing wrong, you're under the impression I left work out, no I didn't I said why should people do anything; they do have pride. Some people will have worked all their lives and find themselves on benefits, why should they just do "anything" they have a right to look 1st in their preferred field.

I wonder of you changed it as possibly under impression I don't work, by any chance.

There are more folk in work than at any time in the countries history. Over 1 million private sector jobs have been created in the last 2 1/2 years. The problem is that Europe is in recession and countries like Spain, and Greece have unemployment at well over 20%. Under EU rules we cannot prevent them coming here and taking the jobs whilst many of the 2.5 million out of work here are better off on benefits than in work.

I don't know why we signed up to the Treaty of Rome, but there is little we can do about it. However increasing benefits will just make more folk here think they are better off not working and create even more jobs for migrant workers.

From the BBC 2 days ago

"The number of people out of work rose by 7,000 to 2.52 million in the three months to January, according to the Office for National Statistics.

The unemployment rate of 7.8% of the economically active population was unchanged from the previous quarter.

The number of people in work increased by 131,000, to 29.73 million."

yes but how many of those in work are immigrants?

There is always work available. Everyone has a job. That job is to go out and earn enough money to feed themselves and their families. If no-one else is willing to employ you, create your own job. There are always things that people need doing and are prepared to pay for.

Unfortunately this actually isn't legal. Anything you earn comes off your benefits (you are allowed to keep £5 I believe) so you are no better off and it isn't regular work. This is how people get into arrears with their rent etc.

There is also the issue of insurance. Have an accident and you are not covered and neither is the 'employer' or the employer's property. And travel costs can be extortionate.

I'm not saying people don't do it, but it is a very risky business and I wouldn't recommend it.

Unfortunately this actually isn't legal. Anything you earn comes off your benefits (you are allowed to keep £5 I believe) so you are no better off and it isn't regular work. This is how people get into arrears with their rent etc.

There is also the issue of insurance. Have an accident and you are not covered and neither is the 'employer' or the employer's property. And travel costs can be extortionate.

I'm not saying people don't do it, but it is a very risky business and I wouldn't recommend it.

So in effect what you are saying is the thing that stops these people working is the fact that they are paid state benefits in the first place.

So in effect what you are saying is the thing that stops these people working is the fact that they are paid state benefits in the first place.

Most people have been unenployed at time in their life, and most claim benefits. As long as the benefits are much lower than the money that they could get from working, then they wont stay on benefits, long term, unless there is a good reason.

But some seem to think that the gap in rewards between benefits and work, is not big enough. If that is the case, what should we do?

Archived