What would happen if people on benefits were given more money?

Most people have been unenployed at time in their life, and most claim benefits. As long as the benefits are much lower than the money that they could get from working, then they wont stay on benefits, long term, unless there is a good reason.

But some seem to think that the gap in rewards between benefits and work, is not big enough. If that is the case, what should we do?

Many benefits claimants are in work.

just a thought maybe the employers could pay a little more in wages seeing as some dont pay any tax :suspect:

That's a great idea. So why do you think Ford closed down Transit Van production in the UK and moved all the machinery to Rumania, where Transit Vans are now built. Do you think they would have been more or less likely to stop in Britain had their wage bill been higher?

just a thought maybe the employers could pay a little more in wages seeing as some dont pay any tax :suspect:

Is that why Mr Osbourne has just lowered corperation tax, so the Government can increase the minimum wage?

That's a great idea. So why do you think Ford closed down Transit Van production in the UK and moved all the machinery to Rumania, where Transit Vans are now built. Do you think they would have been more or less likely to stop in Britain had their wage bill been higher?
profits dont tell me your that nieve :hihi:.but hey glad you like to see british workers lose their jobs :suspect: oh and wait while they come here and take even more you will be in your elements :hihi:

---------- Post added 23-03-2013 at 16:52 ----------

Is that why Mr Osbourne has just lowered corperation tax, so the Government can increase the minimum wage?
no hes probably lowered it to make us more welcoming to these big companies who employ workers on zero contract hours/workfare :suspect:

Its about wages and other costs, such as corperation tax. If too much of our companies are moving away for cheaper labour, then we need to lower costs; ie labour or taxes.

We are not doing too badly, but the taxes from banking and the city are helping. If we had an import tax, that would help us to keep more jobs in this country, but thats not legal because we are in the EU.

Poor areas have poorer health, its not the case that people with less money do not drink and smoke. Why is that?

I'm not saying they don't drink or smoke.

Other things cause poor health too. Diet, poor housing are good examples both of which are known to be contributors to health issues in poorer Britons.

So in effect what you are saying is the thing that stops these people working is the fact that they are paid state benefits in the first place.

No, what I'm saying is it costs to start up your own business, no matter how humble, and if it isn't a legitimate business it's illegal. Lack of benefits is the problem.

Business start ups and training seem to have become something of a cash cow in this country, with all sorts of permits, licences and insurances necessary which are be expensive.

Example: A friend decided to train as a bouncer, (you now need a licence to do it.) It cost £270 to do the course, what they didn't tell him was it then cost another £200+ for the certificate. -Beyond his means.

Insurance for window cleaning is enormous especially to a man with very little money. And you can hardly take a ladder and a bucket on the bus so you need transport, also expensive.

Gardening requires at least some equipment, insurance and a van.

Even busking requires a licence and a permit.

If you can suggest a small business that doesn't require some money to begin with, I (and a lot of other people looking for work ideas) would be genuinely happy to hear it.

I'm afraid it's not usually that simple.

There is always work available. Everyone has a job. That job is to go out and earn enough money to feed themselves and their families. If no-one else is willing to employ you, create your own job. There are always things that people need doing and are prepared to pay for.

Like selling The Big Issue ?? All credit due to them, out in all weathers selling it, but we cant all do it can we ??

I'm now in my 50th year of working for a living, employed and self employed, able bodied and now disabled, but still working shorter hours.

I have never in all my years of working, fallen for the crap the politicians give out. All they try to do is turn man against man.

The Banks, due to greed and bad investing create recessions. Governments cant sort 'em out [or wont] so to get the heat away from themselves they start blaming the poor devil at the bottom of the pile, the most vulnerable.

Get your thinking head on !! Work it out for yourself............

People are forever going on about 'foreigners' coming across and taking jobs, how many people are prepared to do these jobs, if you were out of work any job would be better than none at all. Its often a case that people consider themselves above certain jobs like working in a factory processing food or whatever.

People are forever going on about 'foreigners' coming across and taking jobs, how many people are prepared to do these jobs, if you were out of work any job would be better than none at all. Its often a case that people consider themselves above certain jobs like working in a factory processing food or whatever.

By 'foreigners' I presume you mean the migrant workers from Poland, Slovakia, etc. ?? Most of these guys are taken on by the agency's and supplied to distribution/warehousing and the like. They ARE being set on in preference to UK workers, the migrants are 'more compliant', willing to accept lower rates etc. My own company uses them, they get 30% less wages than the rest of us. They get less holidays, no sick pay, no paid break times. I could go on forever.

These guys are very good workers and nice friendly people to work with. Lousy employers [like mine] exploit them to the limit. Its not the 'foreigners' fault, its the lowlife company's who exploit them. EEC laws allow this to happen, the migrants suffer low wages and poor conditions.

Whilever unemployment is high in Poland, they will keep coming over. The poor beggars have little choice.

Archived