What would happen if people on benefits were given more money?

These guys are very good workers and nice friendly people to work with. Lousy employers [like mine] exploit them to the limit. Its not the 'foreigners' fault, its the lowlife company's who exploit them. EEC laws allow this to happen, the migrants suffer low wages and poor conditions. Whilever unemployment is high in Poland, they will keep coming over. The poor beggars have little choice.

That is how the system works, no one is a "low life", company or person.

If people dont buy locally made goods, then we have free trade, and free trade means goods and people move around the world. We should go back to buying local, Yorkshire foods, and goods made in Great Britain. Or just accept foreign people undercutting our workers and getting all the social housing.

That is how the system works, no one is a "low life", company or person.

If people dont buy locally made goods, then we have free trade, and free trade means goods and people move around the world. We should go back to buying local, Yorkshire foods, and goods made in Great Britain. Or just accept foreign people undercutting our workers and getting all the social housing.

You are right about if we all bought locally made goods, but my company is 'lowlife'. The migrants are treat like pondlife, used and abused. They don't get treat with dignity at all. They are dismissed if they so much as complain.

Permanent staff are all on decent contracts, these poor beggars are not.

This puts my company in the 'lowlife' bracket.

As for 'getting all the social housing', its all the poor beggars can afford. Its not by choice.

Old Labour used to warn us about the dangers of multinational company's.

How right they were.

You are right about if we all bought locally made goods, but my company is 'lowlife'. The migrants are treat like pondlife, used and abused. They don't get treat with dignity at all. They are dismissed if they so much as complain.

Permanent staff are all on decent contracts, these poor beggars are not.

This puts my company in the 'lowlife' bracket.

As for 'getting all the social housing', its all the poor beggars can afford. Its not by choice.

Old Labour used to warn us about the dangers of multinational company's.

How right they were.

Nimrod, your words are powerful and revealing. It is indeed a sad reality that big business is fundamentally exploitative, hostile to fair remuneration, and indifferent to justice in the workplace.

And you are right to point out that, far from being cynical freeloaders, migrant workers are in an appalling situation as they seek to earn enough to keep themselves alive (by the way, this is an opportunity that is not available to them in their country of origin). Well said!

Nimrod, your words are powerful and revealing. It is indeed a sad reality that big business is fundamentally exploitative, hostile to fair remuneration, and indifferent to justice in the workplace.

And you are right to point out that, far from being cynical freeloaders, migrant workers are in an appalling situation as they seek to earn enough to keep themselves alive (by the way, this is an opportunity that is not available to them in their country of origin). Well said!

What? They aren't able to work in their home country? Economic migrants, most of whom come from with the EU...

What? They aren't able to work in their home country? Economic migrants, most of whom come from with the EU...

Are you aware of the economic situation that pertains in Poland?

In 1939 the nazis invaded, and in 1945 Poland became subject to Russian control - the soviets dismantled their industrial infrastructure and confiscated it, leaving the Poles in poverty.

In 1989, with the collapse of the eastern bloc dictatorships, Poland was bailed out by the US based International Monetary Fund. This neoliberal move was accompanied by the usual demand that Poland give up what social assets remained, their 'public sector'. Anything worth having went to Western corporates, and once again the people of Poland were left with nothing. Literally nothing. Their choice is to stay at home and starve, or migrate.

I hope that Poles living here in the UK can go home soon. I hope this simply because I am sure that they themselves would wish to be at home. Just imagine the anxiety and upheaval of leaving your homeland and your family behind. They are not tourists. They are desperate people, seeking work, in order to survive.

In 1939 the nazis invaded, and in 1945 Poland became subject to Russian control - the soviets dismantled their industrial infrastructure and confiscated it, leaving the Poles in poverty.

In 1989, with the collapse of the eastern bloc dictatorships, Poland was bailed out by the US based International Monetary Fund. This neoliberal move was accompanied by the usual demand that Poland give up what social assets remained, their 'public sector'. Anything worth having went to Western corporates, and once again the people of Poland were left with nothing. Literally nothing. Their choice is to stay at home and starve, or migrate.

I hope that Poles living here in the UK can go home soon. I hope this simply because I am sure that they themselves would wish to be at home. Just imagine the anxiety and upheaval of leaving your homeland and your family behind. They are not tourists. They are desperate people, seeking work, in order to survive.

maybe they should do something about their gov and start rebuilding their country and maybe romania and bulgaria should too

I would have thought the actions you mention would have been the incentive to stop and rebuild their own country

It is not the Polish governemnt that holds the power, but the international corporate sector, with a great big helping hand from the IMF.

It is just the same here in the UK. Mr Cameron and Mr Osborne are not traditional tories. They are neoliberals, structuring the UK economy in order that the corporate sector profits at the expense of us all here in Britain. Our NHS is being dismantled by this corporate sector, our support and welfare services systematically cut.

We like to believe that we live in a democracy. Did you vote for the NHS to be privatised? Do you recall voting for multinationals to structure their tax arrangements in such a way as to avoid UK Revenue and Customs?

It is not the Polish governemnt that holds the power, but the international corporate sector, with a great big helping hand from the IMF.

It is just the same here in the UK. Mr Cameron and Mr Osborne are not traditional tories. They are neoliberals, structuring the UK economy in order that the corporate sector profits at the expense of us all here in Britain. Our NHS is being dismantled by this corporate sector, our support and welfare services systematically cut.

We like to believe that we live in a democracy. Did you vote for the NHS to be privatised? Do you recall voting for multinationals to structure their tax arrangements in such a way as to avoid UK Revenue and Customs?

no and something should be done about it, but when you got working men turning against their fellow man it shows whose being listening to the condems :loopy: this country needs to stick up for itself before were all doomed :hihi:

Do you not understand how a democracy works? You don't get to vote on individual issues, never have, maybe never will, you vote for a representative, if you do that on party political lines then you should expect behaviour from that representative that is in line with their political affiliation.

---------- Post added 24-03-2013 at 17:01 ----------

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/poland/unemployment-rate

In recent years Poland has received glowing press for its economic performance. The country made waves internationally when it became the only EU member to register positive GDP growth in the crisis year of 2009.

Since then much has been made of Poland’s consistent, dynamic economic growth, which it achieved in the face of less-than-favorable external conditions.

But despite its recent economic performance, the country continues to have a stubbornly high unemployment rate that many economists say casts a shadow on the “successful market transformation” narrative.

That doesn't appear to be the picture that Staunton was painting.

But the high level of unemployment explains the desire for some Polish to leave, the unemployment rate here is half the Polish rate, and wages for the immigrants are comparatively high.

http://www.wbj.pl/article-58030-poland-strong-growth-high-unemployment.html

Interest article actually.

Archived