Are snow chains illegal?

Are snow chains illegal? I dnt use them because un like some idiots on the road, i can actually drive a car in the snow.

But I keep seeing cars with snow socks on, but i have seen a few with actual chains on. Now surely they should only be used to get up an icey/snowy back street and then taken off agin?

So could anyone tell me if they know if they are illegal?

They shred your tyres if used for even a relatively short distance with no snow or ice layer, and aren't much good for the road surface either, so I can't see anybody making the mistake of driving around with them on very often.

I drive for a living, and aint got stuck once.......yet. im not sayin i wont get stuck, just the fact that there arr alot off ppl on the road that dnt have a clue how to drive in the snow and just have a jermy clarkson attitude.......POWER! Screws it up for others when they make the snow more slippery coz its just had tyres spinning on it going now where fast.

Archived