Are snow chains illegal?

I drive for a living, and aint got stuck once.......yet. im not sayin i wont get stuck, just the fact that there arr alot off ppl on the road that dnt have a clue how to drive in the snow and just have a jermy clarkson attitude.......POWER! Screws it up for others when they make the snow more slippery coz its just had tyres spinning on it going now where fast.

where was this mate? I`ve been driving all over Sheffield today and not seen any roads that would be classed as covered in snow.

I seen a cuple of ppl with them on and they were on main roads, you would av thorght that they would have used their heads and taken them after gettin out of the back road.

At one time buses did have them and at least one tow wagon at each depot had them fitted

where was this mate? I`ve been driving all over Sheffield today and not seen any roads that would be classed as covered in snow.

You haven't been up our road then. Was about three inches this morning when I headed for work and a bit more when I came home early evening.

I have chains because I drive an automatic and often a full auto is a lot less controllable when it comes to traction for slippy conditions (even with an 'icy' button) and my Fabia used to give up at the first hint of snow. When I used to drive a manual I rarely got stuck so didn't feel I needed them.

They are 3 years old and to date have been used twice. Once to get me out of a car park on a slope and once to break up the compacted ice layer in our cul de sac when it was impassible days after the snow had been cleared off all the main roads. 10 minutes of going up and down the road with the chains on allowed everybody else to get traction.

You haven't been up our road then. Was about three inches this morning when I headed for work and a bit more when I came home early evening.

which is where fella? I`ve been into Hillsborough, Stannington, Dronfield and Clowne today.

Archived