Sheffield Hallamshire Hospital

As the Windsors don't use the NHS I wonder why hospitals bother to call themselves Royal.

Historical reason I think - Sheffield lost the Royal Infirmary and the Royal Hospital when the 'Royal' Hallamshire opened it's doors to inpatients so I suppose the royalness was transferred to fawlty towers (as it was called when it first opened).

Been in Hallamshire a few times for surgery following my cancer diagnosis and my treatment has been second to none. I highly rate this hospital and staff.

I would second this.

Fortunately, my visits have been far and few between but when I've had to go, the quality of care and service has been of the highest order.

Indeed, a good friend of mine works on reception. She gets to know some of the patients (usually the elderly who return on a regular basis but also some of the younger patients in the cancer wards) and I've known her phone them in her own time and purely through her own concern outside working hours to see if they're okay and if they're managing and so on.

Footballers and actors get MBEs. Sorry, but people like my friend should be the true, deserved recipients of gongs and the like!

Archived