Brass measuring devices in Peace Gardens

mojoworking

Another weird childhood memory from the 50s & 60s are those strange brass measuring devices which used to be set into the south wall of the Peace Gardens.

There was a narrow alley running from The Moor through to Norfolk Street. I can't recall the name, but there was a row of shops on one side (including the famous Hobbies). The Peace Gardens wall formed the other side of this alley and set into this low wall were a number of brass measuring rods.

They weren't just showing feet, inches and yards either. There were rods, poles, perches, chains and other bizarre and outdated units of measurement.

Last time I was in Sheffield (2002) I checked and they'd been removed, along with most of the Peace Gardens' southern wall, it seems

As another reader has said, St.Paul's Parade was the name of the walkway.

My mum-in-law used to work in the Army supplies shop on the corner.

Actually - thinking about it, they are outside what is going to be the new Register Office entrance. Perhaps they should add a new measure .... "length of marriage" just to remind people what they have just done.

It won't have a special "This is what 10" really looks like then?" :o

Tazz

• 2 weeks later...
Just a snippet. St Paul's Parade was named after St Paul's church, which used to stand where the Peace Gardens are now. It was demolished in the 1930s, which seems a pity, as according to photos it was a rather attractive building with a nice dome.

Am I right but were the headstones still in the peace gardens to be walked over still there until the late fifities when they were removed

Just a snippet. St Paul's Parade was named after St Paul's church, which used to stand where the Peace Gardens are now. It was demolished in the 1930s, which seems a pity, as according to photos it was a rather attractive building with a nice dome.

Just to add to that, the bloke who had the demolition contract used some of the stone to build houses on Trap Lane at Bents Green. If you look at the houses down at the end opposite Trap Lane Farm you'll see various decorated stonework on the facades, which came from St Paul's.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I was talking about these measures with someone today, and realised that a photo would be useful, but after quite a bit of searching I've found nothing.

Does anyone here have anything they could post/link to, please?

I was talking about these measures with someone today, and realised that a photo would be useful, but after quite a bit of searching I've found nothing.

Does anyone here have anything they could post/link to, please?

I'll try to get a snap when I'm in Sheff later. Time is short and my list of things to do is long but I'll try. :)

There are lots of pics of St Paul's on picturesheffield, shame it went, it was an impressive bit of architecture.

Archived