Brass measuring devices in Peace Gardens

mojoworking

There are lots of pics of St Paul's on picturesheffield, shame it went, it was an impressive bit of architecture.

The name continued when Saint Pauls church was built at the corner of Berners Road and East Bank Road probably in the late 1930,s when the estate was built on the Arbourthorne.It was run by a Father Riches who thought he was catholic even though it was C of E. I think it was demolished in the 1960/70,s

I don't know what you mean - the quality is fine, much better than from my phone! Thanks for those, they'll do nicely.

I'd tried on picturesheffield, but couldn't find anything there, and a general Googling didn't turn anything up either (although I couldn't decide what to search for exactly!)

The name continued when Saint Pauls church was built at the corner of Berners Road and East Bank Road probably in the late 1930,s when the estate was built on the Arbourthorne.It was run by a Father Riches who thought he was catholic even though it was C of E. I think it was demolished in the 1960/70,s

Father Riches was probably what's called "High Church", in the Anglican Tradition.

The church was built in the mid thirties, as was the estate (1934/5/6 IIRC).

I remember it being derelict, and having broken windows in the early 1970s. I seem to remember it looked very similar to St Patricks, at Lane Top, large, with high, round windows, red brick construction.

The original St Pauls, at Arbourthorne was demolished in the mid 1970s, and a smaller building was erected behind where the original stood.

the site of the 1930s church had a "community home" built on it, for people with learning disabilities. (Some of my old patients went to live there after they left the hospital where I nursed)

the newer church building has now become disused, after only thirty years or so. The congregatons that used it have moved to the building that used to be the Fellbrig pub, at the bottom of Arbourthorne Road. the congregations of St Leonards, Norfolk Park, and St Pauls Arbourthorne have combined.

this is what the new building loked like shortly after closure, (thank you to Genuki)http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/PhotoFrames/WRY/ArbourthorneExStPaulForSale.html

you can see that the design of the steps up to the front was somewhat impractical for mobility impaired parishioners.

Father Riches was probably what's called "High Church", in the Anglican Tradition.

The church was built in the mid thirties, as was the estate (1934/5/6 IIRC).

I remember it being derelict, and having broken windows in the early 1970s. I seem to remember it looked very similar to St Patricks, at Lane Top, large, with high, round windows, red brick construction.

The original St Pauls, at Arbourthorne was demolished in the mid 1970s, and a smaller building was erected behind where the original stood.

the site of the 1930s church had a "community home" built on it, for people with learning disabilities. (Some of my old patients went to live there after they left the hospital where I nursed)

the newer church building has now become disused, after only thirty years or so. The congregatons that used it have moved to the building that used to be the Fellbrig pub, at the bottom of Arbourthorne Road. the congregations of St Leonards, Norfolk Park, and St Pauls Arbourthorne have combined.

this is what the new building loked like shortly after closure, (thank you to Genuki)http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/PhotoFrames/WRY/ArbourthorneExStPaulForSale.html

you can see that the design of the steps up to the front was somewhat impractical for mobility impaired parishioners.

Thanks for the info.Does anybody have any photos of the church or the surrounding area,as I used to live nearby.

Thanks for the info.Does anybody have any photos of the church or the surrounding area,as I used to live nearby.

there was a site with pictures of old churches round sheffield but although I have searched for it, the sites I have found are not the one I was looking for.

I googled the name of the church but didn't get much joy.

• 1 year later...

Archived