Car/van insurance and ncd

i have 2 scenarios heres the first person(a) has drove mobility cars for about 10 years and now want to insure their own car, person (b) has had a cpl of years driving his own van before getting a job and driving a company van for 2 years. does person(a) have any ncd acrued while driving the mobility car and does person (b) now have continues ncd of 4 years ? any help please

---------- Post added 23-03-2013 at 20:35 ----------

anyone have a clue

In truth, yes and no.

Ncd can be granted on evidence from insurance company in such circumstances and sometimes brokers can assist in pressing for ncd to be granted.

But this help depends on more than a few variables as with all motor policies.

I had a company car for 14 years with no accrued ncd. I was then allowed 5 yrs ncd on the written say-so evidence from the fleet policy insurer.

My next car will be mine to insure after just over 2 years of driving a leased car. The ncd statement from the broker on my own car before this leased car (with a "shelf life" of two years, I'm told) will have expired by the time I get my new car but the broker was good enough to get the insurer to stand to the full 5 yrs ncd on the basis that I had been driving these last two years in a leased vehicle.

Did I get lucky? I don't know. Will the insurers/brokers always be so accommodating? Probably not.

I had 8 years no claims on company cars, swiched to my own and got 3 years NCB, but that was at a very good premium vs others offering 5 yrs which worked out dearer so it varies from insurerer to insurer. I think just shop around a lot is the way forward with insurance at the moment, while keeping an eye on the small print.

No idea about motability.

Did I get lucky? I don't know. Will the insurers/brokers always be so accommodating? Probably not.

I havnt had a car for 3/4 years; so my insurance my be complicate, if I do get a car. Do insurance brokers still exist that can advise and get a better deal than an online quote?

Even someone driving a 'mobility car' has to have a standard insurance policy so therefore standard NCD rules apply.

For someone who has driven on a company policy for a few years NCD is discretionary. An insurer may ask for evidence of driving record from his/her employer.

For someone who has driven on a company policy for a few years NCD is discretionary. An insurer may ask for evidence of driving record from his/her employer.

Never even concidered that I might qualify with my works vehicle, 5 years accident free, almost.

Archived