What do non-smokers think of e-cigarettes?

Exactly. If they were that concerned about everyone's health they'd just ban smoking outright.

Ah...well therein lies the conundrum. As 'Geared' pointed out above, the tax revenue from smokers is huge! Yes I know there's always the counter argument that, people not being ill in one form or another from the effects of smoking, they will save money on the NHS. Personally, I've never believed or subscribed to that notion. I simply don't believe it. Equally, I'd be royally 'miffed' (politely described), if the everyone suddenly went over to e-cigs (and it wouldn't surprise me) and they started to tax them to the extent of 'proper' cigarettes.....where they would suddenly find all the lost revenue?

They would have to claw it back from somewhere!...Wouldn't they? :confused:

Ah...well therein lies the conundrum. As 'Geared' pointed out above, the tax revenue from smokers is huge! Yes I know there's always the counter argument that, people not being ill in one form or another from the effects of smoking, they will save money on the NHS. Personally, I've never believed or subscribed to that notion. I simply don't believe it. Equally, I'd be royally 'miffed' (politely described), if the everyone suddenly went over to e-cigs (and it wouldn't surprise me) and they started to tax them to the extent of 'proper' cigarettes.....where they would suddenly find all the lost revenue?

They would have to claw it back from somewhere!...Wouldn't they? :confused:

i hope camerons not reading this :hihi:

I love it when people just read the four year old headline PR guff and don't actually look at the study it's meant to be based on, to wit:

It's not that I know better than medical professionals, although why they would be experts on non-medical technology is anyone's guess, it's that you seem to completely fail to understand any evidence unless it's boiled down for your consumption by journalist, who themselves have at best a sketchy understanding of scientific principles.

You have no idea of my understanding of medical matters. There is a report that some samples tested contained toxins. Since then one brand has been removed from the market because it tended to catch fire when not in use. Such is the quality control of the crap some folks are prepared to stick in their mouths.

Now far be it from me to call for a ban on the things. I have no opinion one way or another. But if these devices are made to try to wean folk off tobacco, I see no reason why they shouldn't be subject to the same restrictions of where they can be used.

Medical opinion in the EU seems to be advising that unless a manufacturer can provide compelling evidence of the safety of the device they manufacture then they should not be marketed within the EU. It certainly seems to be the direction in which events are heading

In the meantime it seems the number of places where they are allowed to be used is diminishing. But outside should always remain an option until they are banned from sale. And for those who are prepared to take a risk with their families health I am happy for them to smoke them at home. Infact anywhere where they won't affect me.

Not all people who use these e-cigarettes want to stop smoking. That is not the only reason for using them. Some people do, some people don't.

I know a few lorry drivers who vape as a substitute for real cigarettes because they can use one in their lorries where a normal cig is not allowed. Also a lot of people vape because it's much cheaper, not because they want to stop smoking.

You have no idea of my understanding of medical matters.
You've not exhibited any yet, but I'm prepared to have the scales lifted from my eyes
There is a report that some samples tested contained toxins. Since then one brand has been removed from the market because it tended to catch fire when not in use.

Such is the quality control of the crap some folks are prepared to stick in their mouths.

That's a battery issue though, isn't it? Would you consider restrictions on the sale and use of laptops because the batteries sometimes explode? Or any other device powered by high drain rechargeable lithium batteries.

Also, you don't put the battery in your mouth when you use an ecig.

Now far be it from me to call for a ban on the things. I have no opinion one way or another. But if these devices are made to try to wean folk off tobacco, I see no reason why they shouldn't be subject to the same restrictions of where they can be used.

Because the restrictions on smoking tobacco in public were put in place to prevent harm to non-smokers. e-cigarettes are tiny fog machines, the upscale versions of which are everywhere, regulated by the eu, and ratified as low to no risk. With the exception of nicotine they're exactly the same. The only other difference is that the British association of electronic cigarette retailers stipulate that the propylene glycol and glyverine used must be pharmaceutical grade in purity.

And the few micrograms of nicotine in the inhaled fog are not present in the exhaled fog in detectable amounts.

Medical opinion in the EU seems to be advising that unless a manufacturer can provide compelling evidence of the safety of the device they manufacture then they should not be marketed within the EU.

Which medics have this opinion? I know the BMA wanted to ban pointy kitchen knives some years ago, if that counts as medical opinion.

It certainly seems to be the direction in which events are heading

Any events in particular, or just generically "events".

In the meantime it seems the number of places where they are allowed to be used is diminishing. But outside should always remain an option until they are banned from sale. And for those who are prepared to take a risk with their families health I am happy for them to smoke them at home. Infact anywhere where they won't affect me.

Just don't ever go to any theatrical productions, nightclubs or mobile discos if you value your health, the fog might kill you.

You've not exhibited any yet, but I'm prepared to have the scales lifted from my eyes

That's a battery issue though, isn't it? Would you consider restrictions on the sale and use of laptops because the batteries sometimes explode? Or any other device powered by high drain rechargeable lithium batteries.

Also, you don't put the battery in your mouth when you use an ecig.

Because the restrictions on smoking tobacco in public were put in place to prevent harm to non-smokers. e-cigarettes are tiny fog machines, the upscale versions of which are everywhere, regulated by the eu, and ratified as low to no risk. With the exception of nicotine they're exactly the same. The only other difference is that the British association of electronic cigarette retailers stipulate that the propylene glycol and glyverine used must be pharmaceutical grade in purity.

And the few micrograms of nicotine in the inhaled fog are not present in the exhaled fog in detectable amounts.

Which medics have this opinion? I know the BMA wanted to ban pointy kitchen knives some years ago, if that counts as medical opinion.

Any events in particular, or just generically "events".

Just don't ever go to any theatrical productions, nightclubs or mobile discos if you value your health, the fog might kill you.

You seem to have a very low ability at constructive debate. I do hope that you have something else in your life and didn't spend to long constructing this tripe.

You seem to have a very low ability at constructive debate. I do hope that you have something else in your life and didn't spend to long constructing this tripe.

Good counter-argument. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 25-03-2013 at 19:35 ----------

Although I will take this opportunity to correct myself: the call to ban pointy kitchen knives was an article published in The British Medical Journal, rather than being a declaration of intent by the British Medical Association. My mistake.

That might happen in the UK, but hopefully it won't happen in the EU.

Are unicycles safe? Could you be injured if you fell off one? How about bicycles? cars? skis? roller skates?

Fatty meat is bad for you. - Could cause heart disease. Let's ban it!

Beer (along with wine and spirits) can be unsafe. Unless the manufacturers can prove their products are safe, they should be banned.

Flowers should be banned. (Some people are allergic to the pollens ... why should they be subjected to them?)

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-12-1005_en.htm

I'll say only one thing, if those worthless little eurocrats succeed in banning ecigs, which are helping countless people quit a much more dangerous habit then I will make an exception to my usual law abiding rule and be vaping all over. The EU are scum with no concern for anyone but themselves and their empire building, time to take a stand against this anti-democratic set of freeloading rats.

Archived