What do non-smokers think of e-cigarettes?

I would not for one second, deny you your right to use nicotine, but that addiction sucks money out of wallets and purses that could often be better used elsewhere. It causes symptoms, not dissimilar to mental illness, when a withdrawal situation arises - mood swings, loss of temper, theft ... all to satisfy the craving.

I agree ... coffee addiction can do the same ... but it is a form of harm that could be avoided. It is a form of harm that some would consider insignificant ... but it does exist.

The success in stopping is usually assisted by finding an alternative stimulus, be it exercise, love, food etc.

Those also cause cravings "not dissimilar" to mental illness :P

But to address your point directly - taken correctly, like many drugs, nicotine can have an overwhelmingly positive effect, compared to the negative effects.

Tobacco cigarettes are inherently self limiting, drag too hard and fast and you "strain" it. It overheats as the burning tip extends too far, and burns up all the tobacco mixture up in seconds.

E-cigs have no such limiting factor, The instantaneous nature of the hit (unlike patches & gum) is an advantage, because it allows the user to self-titrate, and users quickly discover their optimum titration rates and frequencies in a way that cigarette smokers cannot.

I agree that addictions are in and of themselves undesireable, but if one has an addiction that is essentially physically harmless, and it bestows upon you advantages in, for example, brain function or protection against, for example, Parkinsons disease, then there might even be good reasons to take up a given habit. Like exercise, or nicotine and caffeine.

As in all these things, knowledge and moderation are important.

If the owners of a premises fail to prevent smoking (or take reasonable steps to prevent) in their establishment they become liable to a hefty fine.

Rather than waste time and money ascertaining that a punter is using an e-cigarette every time someone complains, it is much simpler to ban them all and avoid the hassle.

Mine is black metal ... looks like a marker pen ... :huh:

and it's a VAPOURISER, not a cigarette ...

So it's better to smoke 'proper' cigarettes? I can't imagine a non smoker, or anyone smoking e-cigs, not having smoked 'proper' cigs previously!

Personally, I would rather smoke the e-cigs, than the 'real' cigs.

No not saying that. Obviously e-cigs are much better for people but I don't think that is a licence for them to be used everywhere. It's best that they are treated as normal cigs in terms of where they are used in public places.

I'm sure it won't be long before kids start vaping. If it makes them feel grown up they will do it.

Good thread. Bottom line is that while nicotine as a pure drug is much less harmful than when contained in tobacco it is still a drug with powerful physiological effects (dangerous for people with cardiac conditions because it elevates BP and pulse) and highly addictive qualities. It is not something that should be positively reinforced as an acceptable social habit in any form. Even more so when it is delivered in a way that mimics real smoking.

No, the bottom line is why is there so many people rabidly against this totally harmless e-fag? And then consider the personality and character disorders that cause the anti-smoking nazi's to impose their unfounded beleifs? And answer what drives these nazis to go as for as they do?

As a non-smoker, I don't think anything of e-cigarettes. I was a cigarette smoker for about 50 years, moved over onto a pipe and then stopped. I gave up smoking [cigarettes] many times - the longest period without was about 18 months. Then I thought 'I'll just have one' - and went back to 20 a day. I moved to a pipe because it provided enough nicotine to sort out that problem, but because the nicotine absorption is through your mouth and you don't inhale a pipe I was reducing the possibility of damage to my lungs.

I also used nicotine patches (nicotine patches - the expensive alternative to cigarettes) but finally I just gave up smoking.

If people want to give up smoking and e-cigarettes help them to do so, then they're a good thing.

If the owners of a premises fail to prevent smoking (or take reasonable steps to prevent) in their establishment they become liable to a hefty fine.

Rather than waste time and money ascertaining that a punter is using an e-cigarette every time someone complains, it is much simpler to ban them all and avoid the hassle.

I'm sure Mrs Sainsbury has already factored in the potential loss of business and realised the ban is in their interests.

---------- Post added 24-03-2013 at 18:07 ----------

I guess that it is possible that you really are a bit thick.

Who knows?

If not, you are guilty of stirring.

I fail to see anywhere in this thread that anyone has said smoking is better.

I'm doing neither!...I'm a mod. Are you having a pop because of the green letters?

I'm slightly puzzled as to why a store might be subject to a 'hefty' fine?...For allowing smoking?...as someone else pointed out...it's called 'vaping'...not smoking

I'm doing neither!...I'm a mod. Are you having a pop because of the green letters?

I'm slightly puzzled as to why a store might be subject to a 'hefty' fine?...For allowing smoking?...as someone else pointed out...it's called 'vaping'...not smoking

Because, like a child you appear to question every answer that you are given ... without appearing to have read or understood what has been written.

You now appear to be "baiting". Your status is irrelevant.

Stores, Pubs, Dentists etc. can be fined if someone is smoking inside their premises.

Regardless of whether sucking nicotine is "smoking" or not, the owners of these premises have chosen to err on the safe side and ban e-cigarettes as well.

Their choice.

It is the same as their right to choose not to serve someone with alcohol, even when they are over 18. It is not illegal, but they make the call.

End of.

No, the bottom line is why is there so many people rabidly against this totally harmless e-fag? And then consider the personality and character disorders that cause the anti-smoking nazi's to impose their unfounded beleifs? And answer what drives these nazis to go as for as they do?

Because they contain a highly addictive drug that like it or not, when obtained from tobacco, blights millions of lives.

Nicotine addiction should not be encouraged.

Because, like a child you appear to question every answer that you are given ... without appearing to have read or understood what has been written.

You now appear to be "baiting". Your status is irrelevant.

Stores, Pubs, Dentists etc. can be fined if someone is smoking inside their premises.

Regardless of whether sucking nicotine is "smoking" or not, the owners of these premises have chosen to err on the safe side and ban e-cigarettes as well.

Their choice.

It is the same as their right to choose not to serve someone with alcohol, even when they are over 18. It is not illegal, but they make the call.

End of.

There is also the issue that from a distance it is hard to judge whether someone is smoking a cigarette or using an e-cigarette, which makes it difficult to police the smoking ban. I believe that this is the reason that many places ban the e-cigarette.

Archived