Forget 4x4s in this weather

Why buy a 4x4 and pay the extra fuel and tax not to mention the other running costs, the way forward is winter tyres, i've not been stuck once and they practically turn your car into a 4x4 anyway.

The amount of astonished faces that has seen me drive up steep snowy hills was great to see. :o

Do you have just the tyres or do you also have a spare set of rims?

I keep meaning to put some winter boots on the car but would probably get a spare set of rims too so I could swap over myself. We're getting a new car next year so will probably just manage next winter as we do now (not use the car in snow) - however, for my next car I will definitely get a set of winter tyres too.

so in what month would you change to winter tyres ? would think you would have to put them on in sept and take them off in june or do you swap them every time the weather changes. think i will stick with my 4x4 and drink my coffee whilst watching the cars struggle out of their drives in the snow befor i jump in my 4x4 and drive away waving to them

so in what month would you change to winter tyres ?

We were recently told that we could get new tyres(if the tread was getting low) on our commercial vehicles because they might do better in the snow, not sure if that would be true?

so in what month would you change to winter tyres ? would think you would have to put them on in sept and take them off in june or do you swap them every time the weather changes. think i will stick with my 4x4 and drink my coffee whilst watching the cars struggle out of their drives in the snow befor i jump in my 4x4 and drive away waving to them

As long as you remember if you start sliding down a hill 4x4 won't help.

I put mine on at the end of October last year, usually swap around in March! But this year might have to wait a bit. I'll give you a wave as I drive past when you've crashed into a lamp post at the bottom of the road.

I went for a set of 4 season tyres, so no chageover between winter and summer, going forward. I read up on a few tests on line (mostly in German magazines, but some in English language versions). The better 4 season tyres were close to winter tyres in winter, (and much better than summer tyres were), and nearly as good as summer tyres in summer. From memory, the best 4 season performers were Goodyear, Vredsteins and Hankook. I fitted Goodyears.

In the tests I read, the premium 4 season tyres were not as good as premium winter tyres, but they were better than the mid range and poorest winter tyres. In previous years I didn't need my car and could always leave it at home in the worse weather, but a change of job meant it became more important so I thought I'd change over (my tyres needed replacing anyway, so the timing was appropriate), and went for 4 season ones. There have the snowflake/mountain symbol, so are legally "winter" tyres, in terms of those countries that insist on winter tyres in certain conditions. They have been a revelation. Safer stopping and control on poor icy surfaces, and the ability to get to place I would never reach on the previous summer tyres.

There's an interesting comment about changing tyres within Continental's UK website

"There is a slight trade off with stopping distances as a winter tyre does not stop as quickly in the dry as a summer tyre, however, on balance if it is not possible to switch tyres in the winter, experts say you are better off with winter tyres all year round. This is because the difference in stopping distances of summer tyres in winter is far greater than for winter tyres in the summer."

So, if you're only going to use one set of tyres all year, then winter tyres are better than summer tyres.

The website is here:

http://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/www/tyres_uk_en/themes/car-tyres/winter-tyres/why-winter-tyres/why-winter-tyres.html

Also, for those sticking to summer only tyres, I found this interesting comment in the Goodyear website:

http://www.goodyear.eu/uk_en/tires/passenger/index.jsp

If you click on the "learn more" link about summer tyres, it includes:

"Limitations

•Reduced grip in cold weather

•Unsuitable for snow and ice"

Note, that's not just inferior on snow and ice, it says unsuitable.

I'm surprised that nobody has picked up on this. Does that mean that, for example, an insurance company could refuse a fully comp payout because a driver used his car when the tyres are stated to be unsuitable? Unlikely I think, but it might be an issue in certain circumstances.

I've got some economical tyres (something like that, they have flowers on the tyre walls lol) on a courtesy car that I'm currently driving, they're terrible in the snow, put on the breaks and there is no traction at all, even with ABS, however, I don't think it has been that bad, I've bin out and haven't bin stuck or anything close to stuck.

mytyres.co.uk do a good range of wheels/tyres for sensible prices - we nearly got a winter set from these folks for the wifes car when I sold my 4x4 last year. But given that every time we have got in to bother (so far) it was someone else on the road who caused the problem we havent got a set yet

for piece of mind next winter I think we will look again at getting some (maybe see if there are any good deals when the warm weather comes) - these lovely winters seem to be becoming a regular event!

As long as you remember if you start sliding down a hill 4x4 won't help.

I put mine on at the end of October last year, usually swap around in March! But this year might have to wait a bit. I'll give you a wave as I drive past when you've crashed into a lamp post at the bottom of the road.

A bit of an aside, but on the basis that this thread is likely to attract interested people who will have read up on the subject and/or have specific experience, here goes:

Some 4x4s have hill descent features, ie to crawl down muddy slopes. I presume these will work in a similar way when descending a steep icy/slushy/snowy hill. Is that correct? Does anyone know if different companies have been tested against each other to determine which, if any, have the best hill descent system?

---------- Post added 24-03-2013 at 16:32 ----------

I've got some economical tyres (something like that, they have flowers on the tyre walls lol) on a courtesy car that I'm currently driving, they're terrible in the snow, put on the breaks and there is no traction at all, even with ABS, however, I don't think it has been that bad, I've bin out and haven't bin stuck or anything close to stuck.

I've wondered whether the recent move towards "eco" tyres, as manufacturers (both car and tyre) chase better fuel consumption and lower CO2 figures, has resulted in tyres with reduced lateral grooves and harder compounds, even less suitable for winter use.

the other thing about 4x4 is the drivers seem to assume that going down hills they are invincible too - last year we saw 2 Range Rovers embedded in walls. One at the bottom of a hill where the driver clearly tried to brake and was going too fast, the other on a bend where they just slid / rolled off the road

4x4 = better NOT invulnerable

to be fair if the conditions are that bad the snow tyres wont trump 4x4 but for most winter "normal" stuff they are good

But how many 2 wheel drive vehicles have succumbed to the recent weather?

Yesterday I was out and about in my Landrover. I went down Gleadless rd, Roebuck rd up Chesterfield road and past buses, cars and HGV stuck in the snow.

Driving was a piece of cake. It was just a matter of selecting low ratio and letting the engine control the speed of the vehicle when going down hill.

The problem with modern 4 wheel drive vehicles is that they do not have high and low ratio.

My wife has a CRV and it is a very good vehicle in adverse weather but for yesterday's scenario we used my vehicle to get her to work as I would not have risked it down Gleadless rd.

Archived