Comedy driving in the snow

just came back out of Derbyshire earlier this morning and the roads need a bit of respect/care for sure - it was amazing to watch some really thoughtless driving causing all sorts of chaos for others - we got nearly stuck because others didnt have a clue and where utterly unprepared for what was out there

Coming up past Fox House the hill was covered in drifting snow and down to one lane in places - not a lot of traffic but the folks coming down the hill decide to keep on coming anyhow! Giving those going up little choice but to stop in marginal conditions

Please give way to those coming up hill in these conditions! You can soon start rolling down but they might be so lucky

The problem was exacerbated by the chap at the front who had no clue how to get going again in the conditions, so just spun the wheels and went no where. We stopped (on a clear bit of road with no slush/ice) to help and 4 cars drove round us and got stuck behind the other fella - did you folks think I was stood there in a blizzard with a shovel for the fun of it!

Please look ahead and engage your brain! If a line of cars is sat there, maybe there is a good reason

And it was amazing that none of the folks (now stuck in front of us) were properly dressed for the conditions let alone equipped with a shovel or a sack of grit or anything to actually help themselves - I was all for leaving them there and going into Sheffield via Owler Bar but the chap in the VW Van behind thought we should at least try and help first . . .

As they say, no such thing as bad conditions only the wrong gear (and the wrong idea)

Rode past all that on my mountain bike yesterday :)..there were 2 gritting wagons there when I went through.

I used the road over Burbage to get out to the Peak early yesterday morning, there were some huge snow drifts blown across the road, 7 or 8 feet deep in places, will be a fair few days before that route is open for motor vehicles. There was a BMW out there buried in snow too, sideways across the road, nobody in it. Why you would drive that route in poor weather is beyond me...

You should have left them there.

If people are stupid enough to go on those roads in those conditions without proper equipment then they deserve to spend the night stranded by their own stupidity.

Stick to nice clear main roads and plan your journey in advance, it's pretty basic stuff.

Archived