Jaffa cakes? Bun or Biscuit?

Ok, if they're cakes, how come they are meant for one person to eat? The difference between a cake and a bun, I think, is that a cake is made to share and a bun is for one person only.

Anyway, I think that they should be re-named Jaffa Marmalade Buns to clarify exactly what they are thus avoiding any more controversy.

Th jaffa cake debate not only centred on whether it was a cake but also how much choc was on it - thankfully it is thin enough to get away with and avoid the VAT. This could be why they only did the completely choc coated ones for a short while :P

Here is an extract from http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm199697/cmhansrd/vo970114/debtext/70114-22.htm

"A classic example of the difficulties was in the application of VAT to Jaffa cakes. Today, at a distance, that may sound like a ridiculous and trite example, but at the time it exercised minds. Should a Jaffa cake be zero or standard rated? It all depended on whether it was regarded as food, which would make it zero rated, or as a chocolate, sweet confection, which would make it a snack food and standard rated. There was a similar experience with peanuts, depending on whether they were salted, roasted or plain. Their VAT treatment depended on the category to which they belonged. "

The law is an ass as someone said :P

Originally posted by Sam Miguel

Ok, if they're cakes, how come they are meant for one person to eat? The difference between a cake and a bun, I think, is that a cake is made to share and a bun is for one person only.

Anyway, I think that they should be re-named Jaffa Marmalade Buns to clarify exactly what they are thus avoiding any more controversy.

But by definition a bun is a small cake! And who says a cake is made to share??? I dont think so!!! :P

*wipes the cream and jam from face*

Archived