Is life ever going to get any better for young people?

I get fed up with people whining about not being able to afford property... and in the same breath mentioning their car

We saved for the deposit for our house with us both working, plus overtime, and no family handouts. We didn't have expensive gadgets, and nights out were on a budget. It was a couple of years after we bought the house that we got the car

It's all about priorities

I get fed up with people whining about not being able to afford property... and in the same breath mentioning their car

We saved for the deposit for our house with us both working, plus overtime, and no family handouts. We didn't have expensive gadgets, and nights out were on a budget. It was a couple of years after we bought the house that we got the car

As highlighted above, it's called sacrifice.

Freedom is doing what you want WHEN you want to do it. That luxury only comes with wealth. If you know some unhappy rich people, they're just doing it wrong.

It also comes with retirement! As long as what someone wants isn't all about spending money, retirement is the freedom I wish I'd had as a young person.

However, when I was young I didn't have enough life experience to appreciate it. ;) But its been well worth waiting for.

As highlighted above, it's called sacrifice.

I don't know of a generation where the majority of ordinary folk haven't had to make some sacrifice if they want to exercise choice. We ran an old car, our holidays were mainly visiting rellies, and we rarely had any spare cash (depite both of us working) when our children were young because we prioritised living near a decent school. That was our choice, but it meant making sacrifices.

Both of our children have established decent careers, but neither had a mortgage or any children til they were in their thirties. Neither did most of their friends. They've used freedom from responsibility to travel and have fun.

These are sacrifices we didn’t have to make, we bought our first house at age 21, a 3 bed detached for £20K, we both had a car which was needed it to get to work. We were just an average couple on below average wages, today’s average couples on average wages couldn’t dream of buying the house we bought and I can understand why they are angry about it.

The OP is typical of todays youth,they have managed to get their own house,which means they must have a reliable decent income otherwise would'nt be given a mortgage in the first place,they also run their own car and no doubt spend money on other unnecessaries.

How do you think people of the elder generation,like your parents, have managed to get ahead in life:confused: by hard work and saving.

Good on ya for buying your own home,its a step in the right direction and cheaper than renting:thumbsup:

---------- Post added 25-03-2013 at 08:18 ----------

These are sacrifices we didn’t have to make, we bought our first house at age 21, a 3 bed detached for £20K, we both had a car which was needed it to get to work. We were just an average couple on below average wages, today’s average couples on average wages couldn’t dream of buying the house we bought and I can understand why they are angry about it.

todays average wage is around £500pw,which give a couple the chance of a mortgage for around £90000 once the deposit is saved,also interest rate is as low as it gets at the moment,so its a good time to buy

Problem with todays society is that theirs more stuff to spend your money on,average wages are not much lower than in recent years by comparison,its just that peolple want more stuff which they dont actually need:help:

I feel sorry for kids these days .

When we left school we could walk into any job we wanted to try.

Then the Industrialists and Financiers decided to take their factories abroad so as to take advantage of cheap labour in India, China, and the far East.

Some times this involved child labour with children as young as eight working in the factories owned by our pillars of society.

So in Sheffield we get kids now who never work and turn to crime and drugs.

These kids grow up to be the underclass and get flack from both the well off and also people from their own community who have been fortunate enough to get a decent job.

I feel sorry for kids these days .

When we left school we could walk into any job we wanted to try.

Then the Industrialists and Financiers decided to take their factories abroad so as to take advantage of cheap labour in India, China, and the far East.

Some times this involved child labour with children as young as eight working in the factories owned by our pillars of society.

So in Sheffield we get kids now who never work and turn to crime and drugs.

These kids grow up to be the underclass and get flack from both the well off and also people from their own community who have been fortunate enough to get a decent job.

Rubbish:loopy:,you couldn't walk into any job you wanted otherwise we'd all be company bosses or astronauts,we took the first job that was given us,then moved jobs when they came up.

There are plenty of jobs knocking about these days,its just that people dont want to take em ,either cos it doesn't suit their lifestyle or their better off on benefits,or for most school leavers,they a encouraged to go to college and get further qualifications which are often useless when they come to find a job.:loopy:

Archived