I need info pre 1950 sheffield streets

flyer

at last i found Sheffield st map on-line i could read,the problem is one st seems to have vanished.The question is the highway that is or was Penistone rd an overpass with the old rd hiding under,or was all house's road side & some st's lost in construction I'm most interested in Bamforth conection

flyer, Regarding Bamforth Street, it still exists, take a look at the link below.. All the housing disappeared in the 70,s, just a few new factories now, lots of green which there never used to be but the street is still as steep as it always was.

Present day. http://photobucket.com/albums/v130/wharncliffe/?action=view&current=Bamforth.jpg Penistone Road is to the left.

Penistone road was converted to a dual carriageway, but I don't recall an overpass at any stage. Much of the outbbound section was driven through an area next to woodland that used to be known as Bamforth wood. This wood ran alongside what is now Langsett road from Hillfoot to about where Bamforth street is now.

What is the name of the street that seems to have vanished ?

Hi greybeard I'm thinking it could be bottom half of Cuthbert banks rd, The top looks good,the bottom use to finish about 50 yds in fm Penistone on Bamforth. A good chance I am completly screwed up.Is Bamforth the 1st st past what is or was MonFreddie's ice cream yard thatwas on Penistone ,my old house must be long gone

Just up from the junction of Penstone Road on the left hand side was High House Road, this ran behind Montys ice cream yard, the road is now gone, grassed over. This side of Penistone Road went ,when it was widened into a dual carriageway.

Flyer, - if he house was on Bamforth street or Penistone road it is long gone. Had a look for some pictures but all I could find was this one of the junction of Cuthbert Bank road and Bamforth street taken in the 1920s

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s14797

Archived