Decorating with a baby in the house

I need to paint the wood in my lounge and would previously have just used gloss without a second thought but we have a baby now so i'm concerned about the effects the fumes might have on him.

can anyone recommend a suitable alternative to gloss? needs to be pretty much the same quality coverage / durability / finish but that won't be harmful to my little dude

he'll be out of the house during the day when i'm actually painting and despite this horrid weather i'll be having the window open to provide ventilation and hopefully remove a lot of the fumes, but will be home in the evening (not in the lounge tho!)

I don't think that will do any harm. Long as you have some ventilation in there, which clearly you've already thought about.

If you're set on painting the wood, rather than staining or waxing it, you don't really have much alternative. You used to be able to buy "eggshell" paint, which was also oil based like gloss, but I'm not sure if that reeks any less and of course you don't get a shiny finish.

Woodstains could be an alternative, but they also give off fumes.

I've got very old stripped pine doors in my house and I treated them with wax - which doesn't give off fumes of course. But it's not to everyone's taste I suppose.

Water based woodwork finishes have been available for years. I prefer them as it makes brush cleaning much easier, and they tend to smell less. Check the back of the tin. If is says water for brush cleaning, buy it

Don't know which they are as I've never used them, but I've heard about some paints that are advertised as having virtually no smell. Like I said I don't know what they are like but B&Q or somewhere similar might sell them.

We use no odour gloss from B & Q & it's brilliant, does what it says on the tin.

I need to paint the wood in my lounge and would previously have just used gloss without a second thought but we have a baby now so i'm concerned about the effects the fumes might have on him.

can anyone recommend a suitable alternative to gloss? needs to be pretty much the same quality coverage / durability / finish but that won't be harmful to my little dude

he'll be out of the house during the day when i'm actually painting and despite this horrid weather i'll be having the window open to provide ventilation and hopefully remove a lot of the fumes, but will be home in the evening (not in the lounge tho!)

What's the problem just go and buy some gloss from the DIY shop, people have been painting in their houses for hundreds of years. Have you got anything else to worry about?

I use oil based trade gloss and not retail paint all the time the smell is not as bad as it use to be years ago and it's a lot tougher then water based paints and does not yellow as quick as water based paints.

If you want any more help or advice please give me a call or email me.

Archived