Palace Union street

I have just read they are re-releasing 'The Servant' Sara Miles and Dirk Bogart.

I remember seeing this at a cinema on Union St,if I remember right it was across the road from the back of the Empire.

Completely forgot about this place .I had to go to Picture Sheffield to find it was The Palace .

It closed in 1964

I saw there Sodom and Gomorrah, with Stewart Granger, about 1962/3. I was 15ish. We went for a coffee after at the El Mambo and sitting in the widow seat I saw my aunt leaving the theatre with a bloke who was not my uncle.

Foolishly I told my Mother (my uncles sister), the battle that followed was better than that one in the film!

Visited the Palace, Union Street numerous times in the '50s and early '60s but the only film that I can definitely remember seeing there was Jules Verne's 'Journey to the Center of the Earth', starring James Mason and Pat Boone. That was in 1959.

In those days from what I recall, the cinema was quite small and had seen better days. There's no wonder, however, because records show that it was opened in 1910 as Sheffield's first purpose built cinema.

What a smashing area the palace was in at that time.

Coffee in the El Mambo, A gin and tonic at the Nelson, Then listening to Maurice Newton and his Orchestra at the Empire all within a hundred yards.

Upstairs in the Nelson of course and perhaps a pint in the Minerva or quick look at the characters in the Barleycorn. Ah! for the lost days of innocent pleasures.

Upstairs in the Nelson of course and perhaps a pint in the Minerva or quick look at the characters in the Barleycorn. Ah! for the lost days of innocent pleasures.

Oh yes, forgot to mention the Barleycorn, The lasses in there were very friendly and made us young lads appreciate older women.

Archived