Has the Earl gone downhill?

j_in_sheff

They do serve pints at the weekend - I should know I drank enough of them on Friday! And the football crowd were absent for a long time last year, they just re-emerged towards the end. But I have heard rumours of a stabbing quite recently...

The stabbing happened on my night (spannered) and it happened at the end of november/early december. The person involved didn't want to involve the police for some reason when the security, myself and owners wanted too. Video footage was made availible to them and they didn't want to know.

The only medical treatment they wanted was first aid when security and myself wanted them to go to A+E for a check up.

I have a good idea who did it as does the person who got stabbed and they want it left alone.

In my above post I said there had been one major incident and that was it.

to confirm what Carcrash posted, the aforementioned stabbing has been the only major incident that i am aware of to date for the last few months.

and carcrash is also correct is stating that video footage (including car registration number, clearly visible faces) and statements from staff & patrons were offered to the "victim" of the stabbing (a wound about 2cm wide by 0.75cm deep) but the "victim" decided not to proceed with any action.

we believe that the stabbing was the result of an ongoing fracas that been involving both parties that was unfortunately brought into our premises.

---

last sunday morning at 1am the police were called to the premises as the doors were already shut to new patrons but a group of (let's call them) "football-loving knobheads that follow owls in the dark" decided they had some magical right of entry and decided to kick down the door and try to barge into the premises. unfortunately, this would seriously disrupt the fun of everyone else already in there.

thanks to my rather hefty build, along with the assistance of some other folk, a concerted effort to hold them off at the entrance despite the broken door was undertaken. we held the line, until the finest from South Yorkshire arrived, at which time the aforementioned knobheads decided it was best to make a hasty exit from the area.

but once again, we have video footage. and yes, we do know who they are.

---

and now, as to the first issue Agent **** raised, the Earl has had a 2am licence since April 2005. nothing illegal in opening until that time.

we still have a 2am licence, but are specifically applying for 6am late opening on certain weekends that special events are on. for example, last saturday night future funk continued on until nearly 4am.

there is nothing illegal in our opening hours, contrary to what might seem to be implied.

as to the second issue regarding pints vs bottles, we tend to serve with glassware until around 2am-3am. at that time, we tend to run with reduced staff numbers which would make it very difficult to collect/wash/transport glasses around the premises.

i guess it's a small price to pay in order to be able to party on longer...

to confirm what Carcrash posted, the aforementioned stabbing has been the only major incident that i am aware of to date for the last few months.

and carcrash is also correct is stating that video footage (including car registration number, clearly visible faces) and statements from staff & patrons were offered to the "victim" of the stabbing (a wound about 2cm wide by 0.75cm deep) but the "victim" decided not to proceed with any action.

we believe that the stabbing was the result of an ongoing fracas that been involving both parties that was unfortunately brought into our premises.

---

last sunday morning at 1am the police were called to the premises as the doors were already shut to new patrons but a group of (let's call them) "football-loving knobheads that follow owls in the dark" decided they had some magical right of entry and decided to kick down the door and try to barge into the premises. unfortunately, this would seriously disrupt the fun of everyone else already in there.

thanks to my rather hefty build, along with the assistance of some other folk, a concerted effort to hold them off at the entrance despite the broken door was undertaken. we held the line, until the finest from South Yorkshire arrived, at which time the aforementioned knobheads decided it was best to make a hasty exit from the area.

but once again, we have video footage. and yes, we do know who they are.

---

and now, as to the first issue Agent **** raised, the Earl has had a 2am licence since April 2005. nothing illegal in opening until that time.

we still have a 2am licence, but are specifically applying for 6am late opening on certain weekends that special events are on. for example, last saturday night future funk continued on until nearly 4am.

there is nothing illegal in our opening hours, contrary to what might seem to be implied.

as to the second issue regarding pints vs bottles, we tend to serve with glassware until around 2am-3am. at that time, we tend to run with reduced staff numbers which would make it very difficult to collect/wash/transport glasses around the premises.

i guess it's a small price to pay in order to be able to party on longer...

As the owner and the one that really knows all the score, along with my other clubs in sheffield, the EARL BY FAR IS THE SAFEST VENUE I HAVE. In other places in town I am involved with, you can count the "incidents" in a week, not in YEARS as I have been able to with The Earl. One tiff between two lonesome lovers *sarcasm* that brought the trouble from outside to inside our toilets for a former trouble pub is well, acceptable in the industry?? I think you can call that a miracle, keeping in mind this place, where it's situated and its dark history. It used to be a rock solid old man's blades boozer for god's sake! The place now is a beckon of light in comparison to any other club or pub I know of, and I pretty much know them all. My staff down there, if I could clone them I would, they are the best I have, reliable, clean, hard working and put up with no nonsense. The promoters are all dedicated, hard working and loyal. The door staff are hand picked almost on a weekly basis! Pints are served until the manager has to send staff home as the night goes on to the wee hours and has less man power to pick up the glasses, where as bottles can be easily served. Since bar takings are too slim to warrant glassys after that, otherwise if it was a busy 5am, then pints would be happily served as staff would be still on! The Earl runs more like home lounge party and fits like a cosy comfortable pair of shoes, it's barely profit driven as it's size precludes a truly commerical operation, although I make less than any other venue there turnover wise, it's by far the most popular, comfortable and "hip" place outside of the city centre in my opinion, with a big variety of promoters and nights, all done off their hard work. **** has kindly retracted some of his comments because they maybe taken out of context, so I have therefore removed my comments as well.....

Those of us who have been going to the Earl for ages appreciate all efforts of everyone involved. I went last week and it was excellent as usual, I'd urge anyone who hasn't gone to go, its a top night.

From what I could tell it was better than it was before these 'rumours'..........ignore them, thats wat I say........make your own bloody mind up!!!! :hihi:

Archived