Pnuematic Components, Eyre Street, Sheffield

crazybaby

My memory is a little faded on the people there in 1969. I remember Malcolm Wheatley was the buyer.

I can't recall the MD or General Managerna,names at that time or any of the others .

Anyone any recollections of the names in 1969 ?

Gary Marshman

I don't know. She worked on a capstan lathe.

Hi Roger, hope you're well even with the snow which is probably deeper than ours!

My mother was a "Foot Pump Painter" at Pneumatic Components in 1946.

I don't know what that consisted of apart from the obvious, I'll ask her tomorrow.

scousemouse

Malcolm was buyer at PCL, but also had a pub near Tideswell that I used to visit.

I went to school at CTS with Michael Wheatley, Malcolms son. Met up with him about 4 years ago at an OBA meet.

I knew Gillian in the 60/70 's she knocked around with us on drinking establishments in Derbyshire. She was at that stage seeing a friend of mine Big Howard, who in the 70's emigrated to Canada , along with Romick Zuess . Wonder where they are now ? I was in touch with her about 3 years ago in Australia, where she enjoys the Painting / artistry.

Gary Marshman

To the best of my memory from 1969, PCL manufactured Forecourt tyre inflation equipment, Foot Pumps,Chromium plated Tyre Pressure Gauges for the motorist, I think about 8000 per week, although 30.000 was expected, and Radiator Forecourt Fillers. There may have been others.

I was involved with the Electroplating Dept. which did all the finishing and anticorrosion coatings of the products.

Gary Marshman

My mother who's now 87 worked at Pneumatic Components during WW2. She was there about 1940-1946 and originally worked on the assembly of tyre pressure gauges, there were more than one type, the standard and the master ones being the ones she worked on.

She then went on to be a "foot pump painter" which was her occupation on her marriage certificate.

The company was started by brothers Henry and William Turner and then later Henry was joined by a Mr.Brown who were directors when mum was there.

Mum's sister who was a couple of years older than mum also worked at PCL during WW2 where she worked on a drilling machine, she made aircraft parts.

In the book "A Woman of Steel" there's a piece about my aunt working at PCL.