Newborn baby locked in a car

I do not think it is acceptable to leave a tiny baby alone in the car to do some shopping. Babies are very prone to being sick etc which could cause massive problems.

I will leave my children (youngest is nearly 3 now) in the car on garage forecourt while I pay for fuel, I won't leave them in house while I go to corner shop even though it is perfectly legal for me to do so.

Yes, maybe she was a tired new mum but a lot of us have been there and not left our children unattended. Maybe mum needs some help coping.

If the people there were so horrified though they should have alerted the authorities and shop staff.

I think I seem to contradict myself in my post but there could be issues that we are not aware of so passing judgement is a little unfair.

coping or not all she had to do was take the child into the shop with her and there wouldnt be an issue, she left a note which shows she expected someone passing to take some kind of responsibility for the child :ie alert her if there was a problem, its wrong no matter what the circumstances were, she is responsible for the childs welfare and safety, both of which i feel were neglected by leaving him unattended in a public place, or unattended full stop

coping or not all she had to do was take the child into the shop with her and there wouldnt be an issue, she left a note which shows she expected someone passing to take some kind of responsibility for the child :ie alert her if there was a problem, its wrong no matter what the circumstances were, she is responsible for the childs welfare and safety, both of which i feel were neglected by leaving him unattended in a public place, or unattended full stop

I do agree, it's an easy job to pick up the car seat and take it in the shop with baby blissfully sleeping on.

It's obviously shown some forethought to write the note, I just feel we're not quite getting the full story.

answer me this......honestly....if you had a very young child and someone was babysitting for you, how would you feel to know they had left your child locked in a car while they went shopping, attaching a note so that a complete stranger might just let them know if there was a problem of some sort, would you honestly think its ok because in this instance the child was unharmed and find no problem with it or would you say something to the person babysitting your child? would you not mind that they had done it?, this is a question to anyone who cares to answer it

Just out of interest, I can remember when Butlins used to offer a 'challet service.' You left your little ones in the challet while you went out, and 'nurses' used to patrol them.

If they heard a baby crying they would flag the challet number up on a board in all the entertainment venues in the camp so the Mums could go and see to them.

Hard to believe nowadays...

Just out of interest, I can remember when Butlins used to offer a 'challet service.' You left your little ones in the challet while you went out, and 'nurses' used to patrol them.

If they heard a baby crying they would flag the challet number up on a board in all the entertainment venues in the camp so the Mums could go and see to them.

Hard to believe nowadays...

yes i remember this lol how times have changed

Don't judge other people's lives by your own, especially when they live somewhere you don't

I'm still angry that people in Sheffield judged the parents of April who disappeared in Wales by circumstances in Sheffield. Sheffielders accused them of allowing her to play out in the dark. It wasn't dark there at that time. It gets dark AN HOUR LATER where April lived. She was abducted by the father of a classmate, not a stranger

'shopping' is an activity we can sneer at, but was this mum dashing out for food and nappies? The sneering that's going on you'd think she was prancing about windowshopping for a handbag

Don't judge other people's lives by your own, especially when they live somewhere you don't

I'm still angry that people in Sheffield judged the parents of April who disappeared in Wales by circumstances in Sheffield. Sheffielders accused them of allowing her to play out in the dark. It wasn't dark there at that time. It gets dark AN HOUR LATER where April lived. She was abducted by the father of a classmate, not a stranger

'shopping' is an activity we can sneer at, but was this mum dashing out for food and nappies? The sneering that's going on you'd think she was prancing about windowshopping for a handbag

if she dashed out to shop for an emergency item, why not take the child into the shop with her then, after all she had time to write a note didnt she, i didnt suggest she was shopping for a handbag nor have i compared her circumstances or morals to mine, i simply said the child shouldnt be left alone in the car, and i stick by that, its wrong and its illegal and this in no way is 'sneering' at anybody, the child shouldnt be left alone !

i wonder what your opinion would have been if the child had been abducted or harmed in some way, quite different im sure

---------- Post added 27-03-2013 at 00:52 ----------

and i had no part of the wales thread so its not really relevant to your animosity toward me on this thread

I don't have any animosity towards you, I just disagree with your opinion

The child wasn't harmed. Passers by decided to watch the child. Is this a reflection of the community this woman already knew she lived in?

Forums are full of people who know everything about everything, have never had to think outside the box to solve a problem, and know exactly how everybody else should behave

Tell me. If the child has spent the best part of a week screaming its head off, mum is dead on her feet. The kid has finally settled enough for her to restock the larder... should she run the risk of waking the child who desperately needs sleep if it isn't necessary to? She didn't park in Sheffield city centre

THIS is exactly why there should be an entry exam for juries

I don't have any animosity towards you, I just disagree with your opinion

The child wasn't harmed. Passers by decided to watch the child. Is this a reflection of the community this woman already knew she lived in?

Forums are full of people who know everything about everything, have never had to think outside the box to solve a problem, and know exactly how everybody else should behave

Tell me. If the child has spent the best part of a week screaming its head off, mum is dead on her feet. The kid has finally settled enough for her to restock the larder... should she run the risk of waking the child who desperately needs sleep if it isn't necessary to? She didn't park in Sheffield city centre

THIS is exactly why there should be an entry exam for juries

we should agree to disagree then, i feel the passers by didnt decide to watch the child, they felt they had to because the mother wasnt, we,ve all had times where we are dead on our feet but dont leave our children alone in a parked car, its also illegal, thankfully the child was ok but thats not because the mother was being as attentive as she should have been, she took a silly chance with a childs wellbeing, i hope we dont read another story of a dead or hurt child the next time she does it

Archived