Newborn baby locked in a car

do you know that children are allowed to play in the street in some countries?

I know it's an archaic concept in this country, and we all know better now...

I was also under the impression that people moved to New Zealand from here as it's more like it used to be here. Was the child safer in a locked car, or sat in a pram?

.......... its also illegal...........

Just because you keep saying it, does not make it true.

It is only illegal (in NZ) IF it is deemed to be for an unreasonable length of time, or under unreasonable conditions having regard to all the circumstances.

It is only illegal (in NZ) IF it is deemed to be for an unreasonable length of time, or under unreasonable conditions having regard to all the circumstances.

the child was a newborn, is that not unreasonable then, i think it is

---------- Post added 27-03-2013 at 01:37 ----------

I was also under the impression that people moved to New Zealand from here as it's more like it used to be here. Was the child safer in a locked car, or sat in a pram?

sat in a pram i would say, at least it would have been where the mother could see and hear it and not a passer by who happens to notice it in the locked car, if there was an immediate emergency with the child do they wait till they reach the mother on her mobile? or smash a window covering the child with glass to help him, decisions decisions

---------- Post added 27-03-2013 at 01:39 ----------

the next line that you didnt quote said the police WOULD have taken action if it had been reported

---------- Post added 27-03-2013 at 01:41 ----------

even playin in the street they would be supervised and not left to the mercy of strangers with a note attached to them

the child was a newborn, is that not unreasonable then, i think it is

No one found it serious enough to write down the number plate or ring 999/112

And the wording of the law, means it might NOT be illegal in NZ; and its not illegal in this country.

Its not a good thing, but if you work and have children, the best time to not be there is when they are sleeping. Smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, two way baby monitors, where do you stop?

Of course when they get older, leaving them on their own allows them to learn. When I was 2-16, my dad worked over 40 hours per week; I am sure that we were left on our own, no mum around.

Mum should be home looking after the kids...........

---------- Post added 27-03-2013 at 06:38 ----------

i think at a family wedding theres a good chance everyone knows each other and would all look out for the child, although they shouldnt have to but left in a car park is in public and you just dont know who might see the child there alone, it might well be a small community where a lot know each other, but the article says passers by stopped and stayed with the baby as they were concerned for him being left, we have all read papers where a paedophile was known as 'the nice man that lived next door' etc, you just dont know people these days and certainly not enough to trust your childs wellbeing to the fact a stranger may just pass by and see there was a problem, what if the child had chocked and no one saw him therefore she wasnt alerted and its too late, i just think this is wrong on so many levels, regardless of her circumstances her child should come before her shopping surely

Do you recall the incident last year when the Camerons left their child in the pub?

the child was a newborn, is that not unreasonable then, i think it is..........

the next line that you didnt quote said the police WOULD have taken action if it had been reported.........

Newborn?

Who says?

This whole thing is based on a posting on Facebook. No facts to speak of.

What you think is unreasonable is irrelevant. That is down to the police and the courts.

Something I didn't quote?

The only thing that I was quoting was the Summary Offences Act 1981.

The only possible action that the police MIGHT have taken would be a warning. They say that this sort of thing happens all the time and nothing has ever gone wrong.

coping or not all she had to do was take the child into the shop with her and there wouldnt be an issue, she left a note which shows she expected someone passing to take some kind of responsibility for the child :ie alert her if there was a problem, its wrong no matter what the circumstances were, she is responsible for the childs welfare and safety, both of which i feel were neglected by leaving him unattended in a public place, or unattended full stop

are you suggesting it would have been better to leave no note?In the end all parents will have left children unattended upstairs while watching TV-some not even having baby alarms installed.This woman erred by doing so in public.

Newborn?

Who says?

This whole thing is based on a posting on Facebook. No facts to speak of.

What you think is unreasonable is irrelevant. That is down to the police and the courts.

Something I didn't quote?

The only thing that I was quoting was the Summary Offences Act 1981.

The only possible action that the police MIGHT have taken would be a warning. They say that this sort of thing happens all the time and nothing has ever gone wrong.

i didnt get this from facebook, i read it on a news forum the news report said the child was a newborn not me

---------- Post added 27-03-2013 at 09:06 ----------

are you suggesting it would have been better to leave no note?In the end all parents will have left children unattended upstairs while watching TV-some not even having baby alarms installed.This woman erred by doing so in public.

hardly the same thing, they in the same house where she would have been there should there be a problem, your'e being pedantic here because i obviously didnt sit watching my children sleep all night and was downstairs when they were in bed, iv made myself clear i think its wrong that she left a baby in the car and was away from the car, not in sight of it or hearing distance, the note is irrelevant too, she shouldnt have left the child at all

It does not matter how you sourced the story-you have embellished the account by adding your own judgements.

no, i quoted the news story in the OP, the rest is my opinion, which i stick by, are you saying you see nothing wrong with leaving a very young child locked in a car unattended while you go off shopping for whatever reason?

Archived