Tb and immigrants

We should start a fund raising group to help fight TB instead of just do nothing but talk about it as we normal do

I read somewhere that it costs the NHS in excess of £50,000 to treat each case of TB, this cost will increase dramatically as more drug resistant strains evolve.

Changes in government policy is the way forward in reducing this problem, not funding for more medical research.

It's always been a problem, but I don't see it deterring too many people from flying off abroad on their holidays and bringing it back to the UK.

Is there a big demand for package tours to Romania? I think the OP's point was that a fair few Romainians may arrive here with it and expect to be treated by and already overstretched NHS..whether it's going to happen or not I don't know...

I read somewhere that it costs the NHS in excess of £50,000 to treat each case of TB, this cost will increase dramatically as more drug resistant strains evolve.

Changes in government policy is the way forward in reducing this problem, not funding for more medical research.

"The cost of treating an uncomplicated case of TB can be as low as £2,000 but can exceed £50,000 for complex or drug resistant cases. More than 12% of the cases in London are considered complex – almost 400 people."

http://www.londonhp.nhs.uk/services/tuberculosis/

"The cost of treating an uncomplicated case of TB can be as low as £2,000 but can exceed £50,000 for complex or drug resistant cases. More than 12% of the cases in London are considered complex – almost 400 people."

http://www.londonhp.nhs.uk/services/tuberculosis/

I guess 400 a year is not too high a figure for a city the size of London. I wonder what the figures are across the whole country..

I guess 400 a year is not too high a figure for a city the size of London. I wonder what the figures are across the whole country..

The 400 are the more serious cases,

Published on Wednesday 27 March 2013 15:37

London is “the TB capital of Europe”, The Daily Telegraph has reported. The newspaper says that Britain is now the only nation in Western Europe with rising levels of tuberculosis, with more than 9,000 cases diagnosed annually. In London, where 40% of UK cases are reportedly diagnosed, the number of cases has risen by almost 50% since 1999, up from 2,309 in 1999 to 3,450 in 2009.

The 400 are the more serious cases,

Published on Wednesday 27 March 2013 15:37

London is “the TB capital of Europe”, The Daily Telegraph has reported. The newspaper says that Britain is now the only nation in Western Europe with rising levels of tuberculosis, with more than 9,000 cases diagnosed annually. In London, where 40% of UK cases are reportedly diagnosed, the number of cases has risen by almost 50% since 1999, up from 2,309 in 1999 to 3,450 in 2009.

If someone with TB leaves Romania or another country, that countries figures go down, they will likely turn up here because of the free NHS which increases our figures.

Archived