Tb and immigrants

Current UK procedures to screen new immigrants for tuberculosis (TB) fail to detect more than 70 per cent of cases of latent infection, according to a new study published in The Lancet Infectious Diseases.

I was just replying to someone who asked whether or not we screened..not judging the efficacy of it..just looking again and your link is older than mine..maybe they've improved? Dunno...

I was just replying to someone who asked whether or not we screened..not judging the efficacy of it..just looking again and your link is older than mine..maybe they've improved? Dunno...

Sorry, I wasn't implying anything with my post, the other thing I noticed was Rumania isn't on the list, it appears that EU members with TB are free to move around the EU.

Sorry, I wasn't implying anything with my post, the other thing I noticed was Rumania isn't on the list, it appears that EU members with TB are free to move around the EU.

Ok.. no probs ..got the wrong end..Yep, good old EU eh? :)

Its in The Sun, the lowest tabloid there is. That should give you the answer.

Theres plenty of posters and info about TB around the hospitals and doctors surgeries,so obviously somebody thinks it may be a problem.

---------- Post added 27-03-2013 at 17:53 ----------

It stands to reason that when people are coming here from countries that are not blessed with a health service like ours, that some diseases ,what we thought eradicated in this country,will likely re-appear.

1) This story IS being reported in the scum, that excuse for a newspaper...

2) It's not Immigrants that cause the spread of TB. It's crowded and poor living conditions.

It must be the overcrowding and poor living conditions they have caused then, because TB cases increased in the UK at a time when immigration to the UK increased. :)

It must be the overcrowding and poor living conditions they have caused then, because TB cases increased in the UK at a time when immigration to the UK increased. :)

I repeat:-

2) It's not Immigrants that cause the spread of TB. It's crowded and poor living conditions.

and, to corroborate my statement,THIS- as reported five years ago

TB is a disease of poverty, not of migration," asserts Tina Harrison, Awareness Officer for UK charity TB Alert. Historically and currently, TB is associated with poverty - overcrowded, unsanitary accommodation, which combined with poor nutrition and stress all contribute to its spread. A drop in vitamin D levels due to limited sunlight could also be significant. Immigrants to the UK are frequently faced with these conditions, coupled with hard work for low pay.

They form part of a large pool of people in London who are vulnerable to TB. For instance, extremely high rates of TB were found in the homeless, prisoners and drug users by Alistair Story of the Health Protection Ageny (HPA) in a study last year.

(Those facts from the article here (28th Jan 2008)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/jan/28/tb.london

I repeat:-

and, to corroborate my statement,THIS- as reported five years ago

TB is a disease of poverty, not of migration," asserts Tina Harrison, Awareness Officer for UK charity TB Alert. Historically and currently, TB is associated with poverty - overcrowded, unsanitary accommodation, which combined with poor nutrition and stress all contribute to its spread. A drop in vitamin D levels due to limited sunlight could also be significant. Immigrants to the UK are frequently faced with these conditions, coupled with hard work for low pay.

They form part of a large pool of people in London who are vulnerable to TB. For instance, extremely high rates of TB were found in the homeless, prisoners and drug users by Alistair Story of the Health Protection Ageny (HPA) in a study last year.

(Those facts from the article here (28th Jan 2008)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/jan/28/tb.london

I already agreed with you, the increase in UK TB rates are amongst the immigrants that arrive here, they arrive here from poor conditions and spread the TB in the overcrowded country they enter.

Very few people arrive with raging, contagious TB. Instead, latent infections are reactivated here in the UK, 80% after at least two years; 30% after 10.

TB is associated with poverty - overcrowded, unsanitary accommodation, which combined with poor nutrition and stress all contribute to its spread. A drop in vitamin D levels due to limited sunlight could also be significant. Immigrants to the UK are frequently faced with these conditions, coupled with hard work for low pay.

Looks like an imigration problem to me.

In 2011 there were 9,000 new cases of tuberculosis, with 70% occurring among recent migrants to Britain from countries where the disease remains prevalent.

The condition, which can affect the lung or any part of the body, was largely eradicated in the 1980s, but rates have been steadily increasing over the last 20 years.

Last year the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) recommended a co-ordinated screening programme to detect latent TB among the most at risk migrant groups.

Archived