For those people who drive everywhere at 20mph

I've provided evidence that there is, which so far you have refused to deal with.

No you haven't. The law says "unnecessarily slow driving", which makes it subjective. There is no law that makes driving slow an offence, because it wouldn't be workable. It would be silly. There are other factors to consider. You even say so yourself here:

all other things being favourable, (ie no snow, traffic, parked vehicles)

If you fail to accept the obvious then neither of us have any point continuing a debate.

Easy.

I am driving on a road and I am travelling at the speed of 20mph. Am I breaking the law?

Option A: No. Driving slowly is not a crime in and of itself. There are other factors to consider.

Option B: Yes. Driving slowly is a crime and you are breaking the law.

I'll bow out at this point. I feel logic won't reach you. ;)

When I was driving police cars, the rule of thumb was that if you were doing half the speed limit, all other things being favourable, (ie no snow, traffic, parked vehicles) then that was a reasonable minima. A third of the speed limit was generally held to be too slow and you would almost certainly get tugged for it.

Whilst I agree with Chris_Sleeps fundamental point that "Driving slowly is not a crime in and of itself. There are other factors to consider.", I also accept your's here which is not in contradiction.

So, all things being favourable, if 20mph is too slow, then we must be talking about a road with a limit of at least 40 mph. I'm struggling to think of many 40 mph roads in Sheffield where you could get stuck behind a slow moving vehicle tbh.

I think most of the speed limits are about right in Sheffield, and most of the traffic seems to be travelling at or just below the limit. I rather suspect the OP is exaggerating the behaviour of others, and would simply like to drive faster than he can/should.

I rather suspect the OP is exaggerating the behaviour of others, and would simply like to drive faster than he can/should.

Absolutely not, I thought I'd try to make that quite clear.

I just want to be able to drive close to the speed limit and not be held back by people who lack basic driving skills and those that pay no attention to other drivers on the road. Like many have said - they should notice the tailback they are causing and either speed up a little or pull over for a few moments to let some cars past.

It's outright common courtesy.

The speed limit is a maximum not a recommendation,hence no-one will ever be prosecuted for driving within the limit.The impatient drivers need to address their own issues as they have the problem,and ought to leave a little earlier.If I drove I would decide my speed and would not be dictated to by others.

Absolutely not, I thought I'd try to make that quite clear.

I just want to be able to drive close to the speed limit and not be held back by people who lack basic driving skills and those that pay no attention to other drivers on the road. Like many have said - they should notice the tailback they are causing and either speed up a little or pull over for a few moments to let some cars past.

It's outright common courtesy.

So, if you weren't exaggerating, care to give an example of a road in Sheffield where somebody driving at 20 mph is likely to cause a "mile long queue behind"?

:huh:

So, if you weren't exaggerating, care to give an example of a road in Sheffield where somebody driving at 20 mph is likely to cause a "mile long queue behind"?

:huh:

Any reason why this should apply only to Sheffield roads?

Furthermore, is there any reason why somebody driving 'well below' the speed limit for no justifiable reason as to not maintain good progress, should be excused for their behaviour?

Archived