For those people who drive everywhere at 20mph

Any reason why this should apply only to Sheffield roads?

Furthermore, is there any reason why somebody driving 'well below' the speed limit for no justifiable reason as to not maintain good progress, should be excused for their behaviour?

You're asking me for a "reason" why somebody with "no justifiable reason" should be excused for their behaviour? Err, well ... no ... obviously.

---------- Post added 27-03-2013 at 19:57 ----------

Any reason why this should apply only to Sheffield roads?

Furthermore, is there any reason why somebody driving 'well below' the speed limit for no justifiable reason as to not maintain good progress, should be excused for their behaviour?

Anyway, it shouldn't just apply to Sheffield roads, but since this is Sheffield Forum it might be useful to give some local examples of where this might be a problem.

I'm sceptical of the suggestion that 20 mph drivers are a problem. Speeding drivers are a problem, of which there are many, not 20 mph ones, of which I see hardly any. Is the OP exaggerating 25 mph drivers for 20 mph ones?

If I was to come up behind a 20 mph driver on a 30 mph road, is that excessively slow? Maybe, but I don't see any. If I was to come up behind a 20 mph driver on a 40 mph road I'd overtake them, the slower they are the better.

So, if you weren't exaggerating, care to give an example of a road in Sheffield where somebody driving at 20 mph is likely to cause a "mile long queue behind"?

:huh:

The A61 going through Greno woods as it did this morning

The A61 going through Greno woods as it did this morning

It might be quite annoying there, but somebody doing 25 mph would be more annoying imho, just too fast to overtake between the no-overtaking bits, and slow enough to irritate.

If conditions etc allow, you should always aim to be around speed limit. One thing I refuse to do though is pull over to let someone who wants to break the speed limit past (unless it's a dual carriage way)!

I'm not referring to people with a genuine reason for going slow, I'm on about people who are more interested in the discussion they are having with their passenger and those that are obviously oblivious to how their poor driving skills affect others.

The same goes to those who stick on their brakes 3 miles before they arrive at a junction.

And those who pull up at a junction THEN start looking if it's clear to pull out. Why on earth can't you have a glance while still moving and if obviously clear and safe KEEP MOVING.

Don't even get me started on pedestrians who press the button on the crossing when you're the only car to be seen for miles - WHY?!?!?!?

IMO, many of the "sorry mate I didn't see you" collisions with two wheelers are down to drivers who decided that a glance was adequate at a junction, in their desire to keep moving.

Also, mention has been made in another post about the view on the approach to roundabouts being obstructed by panels. This is done on purpose to force drivers to slow down and to make them look properly. The TRL have done research regarding the design of roundabout approaches. Historically, we have gone in for fast sweeping approaches to allow vehicles to enter at speed. However, this leads to vehhicles already on the roundabout being less likely to be seen, especially if a two wheeler, as the driver entering the roundabout rushes his quick glance behind in his eagerness to look ahead, where he is intending to go. Restricting his view on the approach forces him to slow down, and ultimately gives him more opportunity to take a proper look. Better still, is to make the entry onto a roundabout at 90 degrees, so the motorist entering the roundabout is less likely to treat it like a sliproad.

---------- Post added 27-03-2013 at 23:36 ----------

If conditions etc allow, you should always aim to be around speed limit. One thing I refuse to do though is pull over to let someone who wants to break the speed limit past (unless it's a dual carriage way)!

I'm always happy to pull over and let the impatient, aggressive driver overtake me, if there is opportunity to do so. I want the bad drivers in front of me where they can do least harm.

Although on quite a few occasions I note that once he has overtaken and has to start judging the road for himself instead of being led, some drivers suddenly slow down.

You're asking me for a "reason" why somebody with "no justifiable reason" should be excused for their behaviour? Err, well ... no ... obviously.

Apologies. In my haste to get ready for work, i think i misread your earlier post of....

Whilst I agree with Chris_Sleeps fundamental point that "Driving slowly is not a crime in and of itself. There are other factors to consider."

I think i read that as "There are NO other factors to consider. :)

I'm sceptical of the suggestion that 20 mph drivers are a problem. Speeding drivers are a problem, of which there are many, not 20 mph ones, of which I see hardly any. Is the OP exaggerating 25 mph drivers for 20 mph ones?

Speeding drivers is a different discussion entirely. In the case of the OP, while not defending the 'exaggeration'.. i suspect that the figure of 20mph is merely a quick way of describing the kind of people who seem to just plod around everywhere oblivious to whats going on around them. I think we can all empathise with that.

IMO, many of the "sorry mate I didn't see you" collisions with two wheelers are down to drivers who decided that a glance was adequate at a junction, in their desire to keep moving.

Also, mention has been made in another post about the view on the approach to roundabouts being obstructed by panels. This is done on purpose to force drivers to slow down and to make them look properly. The TRL have done research regarding the design of roundabout approaches. Historically, we have gone in for fast sweeping approaches to allow vehicles to enter at speed. However, this leads to vehhicles already on the roundabout being less likely to be seen, especially if a two wheeler, as the driver entering the roundabout rushes his quick glance behind in his eagerness to look ahead, where he is intending to go. Restricting his view on the approach forces him to slow down, and ultimately gives him more opportunity to take a proper look. Better still, is to make the entry onto a roundabout at 90 degrees, so the motorist entering the roundabout is less likely to treat it like a sliproad.

---------- Post added 27-03-2013 at 23:36 ----------

Can't argue with any of that! Spot on!

So you stop whatever - even if the junction is wide open and you can see clearly for say half a mile in all directions that it's perfectly clear? How ridiculous.

I'm not for one minute advocating speeding up to a junction and taking a risky chance but on a lot of occasions there's just no need to stop and THEN start looking.

I probably stop from a minor to a major road pretty much every time. I rarely do from a major to a minor road. It's much better to stop and be safe than save a fraction of a second because you can't be bothered to stop. As a cyclist who has nearly been hit by many idiots pulling out I would always advocate stopping and looking properly.

Also, mention has been made in another post about the view on the approach to roundabouts being obstructed by panels. This is done on purpose to force drivers to slow down and to make them look properly. The TRL have done research regarding the design of roundabout approaches. Historically, we have gone in for fast sweeping approaches to allow vehicles to enter at speed. However, this leads to vehhicles already on the roundabout being less likely to be seen, especially if a two wheeler, as the driver entering the roundabout rushes his quick glance behind in his eagerness to look ahead, where he is intending to go. Restricting his view on the approach forces him to slow down, and ultimately gives him more opportunity to take a proper look. Better still, is to make the entry onto a roundabout at 90 degrees, so the motorist entering the roundabout is less likely to treat it like a sliproad

If the TRL have researched roundabout design do you know why they allow huge trees/bushes etc to be planted on them so you are only able to see a quater,at most,of the roundabout? You stop,look to the right,see nothing approaching,enter the round about only to just be missed by a vehicle that was "just around the corner" of the r/a..out of your view...wouldn't it be better to have a complete view of approaching traffic?

If the TRL have researched roundabout design do you know why they allow huge trees/bushes etc to be planted on them so you are only able to see a quater,at most,of the roundabout? You stop,look to the right,see nothing approaching,enter the round about only to just be missed by a vehicle that was "just around the corner" of the r/a..out of your view...wouldn't it be better to have a complete view of approaching traffic?

Just out of your view should be plently of time unless the vehicle is speeding.

Archived