For those people who drive everywhere at 20mph

They don't exist?!? I can only assume you don't drive?

Yes, that must be it.

My failure to concede your basic point that there are numerous 20mph drivers causing mile long tailbacks must be because I am one or I don't drive.

Your statement that you "encounter people driving at 20mph several times every day, obviously mostly in 30/40mph speed zones" cannot possibly be that you are exaggerating a problem that doesn't really exist.

:hihi:

Your wrong! the slow driver has caused the accident as mentioned before, he is impeding traffic, just stick to the appropriate speed limits, it's not hard.

Im not wrong at all, for instance, he could have been driving at 29 but slowed down to 25. NO ONE made the person pull out in frustration without looking to crash did they! Your very silly.

I dont agree with driving stupidly slow either but between 25-30 i dont see a problem with. On a long stretch of road ideally it would be 29/30 (if the limit was 30).

Im not wrong at all, for instance, he could have been driving at 29 but slowed down to 25. NO ONE made the person pull out in frustration without looking to crash did they! Your very silly.

I dont agree with driving stupidly slow either but between 25-30 i dont see a problem with. On a long stretch of road ideally it would be 29/30 (if the limit was 30).

I'm not silly!! read your previous post, you said if someone is driving along at 25mph, you didn't say anything about someone slowing down, breaking ect, because the person behind would automatically follow suit, I repeat! if someone is driving too slow for no reason they are the cause of frustrating the driver behind and tempting him/her to over take. :huh:

When did driving slowly lead to someone failing their test? I sat mine nearly 15 years ago, but I distinctly remember being told that if I'm nearing the speed limit then I'm going too fast.

I did mine slightly longer ago than that, and I got a minor on my test for doing 60 in a 70 (NSL) zone.

---------- Post added 29-03-2013 at 16:18 ----------

Of course it's reasonable, and I trust you are not suggesting that I think otherwise.

But do you really think that 20 mph drivers on 30/40 mph roads is a problem that we have to contend with on a daily basis? I just don't think so.

I don't drive daily at the moment, but on the days that I do it's not unusual to see a car driving on an NSL road at a speed significantly below the limit for no apparent reason.

---------- Post added 29-03-2013 at 16:20 ----------

Not even a smiley? :suspect:

Well, if you now want to widen the discussion to 50mph slow drivers on the motorway, then I assume that you've conceded my point in your mind that 20mph slow drivers isn't worth discussing because they don't exist.

On 30/40mph roads driving inappropriately at 20mph is really painfully slow, and yes it would amount to bad driving, but it just doesn't happen.

What does happen is that some drivers thinks that everybody else is driving too slow, everybody else is in the wrong lane, etc

Did the OP specifically mention 20 mph, I agree that these aren't common, it's more often people doing 40 in a 60 (and then often 40 in a subsequent 30 zone) or 50 on a 70 stretch.

Edit - yes, the very title mentions it. Fair enough, I don't think 20 in a 30 zone is that common, on roads with higher limits people driving slowly is more common and obvious.

When did driving slowly lead to someone failing their test? I sat mine nearly 15 years ago, but I distinctly remember being told that if I'm nearing the speed limit then I'm going too fast.

I did mention this myself in post #88. Driving too slowly for no legitimate reason has always been part of the driving examiners report since before i passed my car 'L' test, subsequent HGV tests and DSA driving instructors examinations, well over 20 years ago. It is also a requirement for every category for vehicle practical driving test in the UK.

The driving examiners guidance and report sheet - See section 20 (progress)

http://www.a-class-driving.com/practical-driving-test.php

I don't come across too many drivers at 20 inappropriately in a 30 zone that often, either.

More frequent are the drivers closing in behind me when I have seen something to make me slow - I.e. the driver who is not looking beyond the car ahead (or his/her own bonnet) and the driver who relies far too heavily on his/her reaction speeds to brake lights ahead without a hint of proactivity of middle and far distance observations at the steering wheel, without any light and shade in the pace the car is moved at on approach to and through hazards.

Trying to convince this type of myopic driver (driving the road as it was yesterday or all last week and definitely not as it is today) to do something different is a challenge but well worth a try, I find.

Your wrong! the slow driver has caused the accident as mentioned before, he is impeding traffic, just stick to the appropriate speed limits, it's not hard.

If you really believe this, that the slower driver is at fault when its actually the inability of an impatient driver behind to just relax a little and wait for a safe moment to pass then your a fool Eastwood141

worse than that your a dangerous fool who should have to resit his driving test.

I'm not silly!! read your previous post, you said if someone is driving along at 25mph, you didn't say anything about someone slowing down, breaking ect, because the person behind would automatically follow suit, I repeat! if someone is driving too slow for no reason they are the cause of frustrating the driver behind and tempting him/her to over take. :huh:

Maybe in your weird little universe but somehow I don't think the Police or Insurance Companies would see it that way and unfortunately for you it's what they say that matters....

If you really believe this, that the slower driver is at fault when its actually the inability of an impatient driver behind to just relax a little and wait for a safe moment to pass then your a fool Eastwood141

worse than that your a dangerous fool who should have to resit his driving test.

This really is the classic Chicken/Egg scenario.

Would the 'impatient' driver overtake if the 'slow' driver wasnt driving so slowly in the first place?

The fact of the matter in such a scenario is that it is for the Police Collision investigation team to decide where the blame lie and not for members of the public to point fingers based upon assumptions. Its sad however that innocent people will undoubtedly get caught up in it all over a couple of ignorant and selfish drivers actions.

Sticking with 'facts'... Its a fact that one can fail a driving test for failure to make good progress. If one can fail a driving test for such an action, why is it deemed acceptable to do so after one has passed their test?

The answer is - It isnt acceptable.. If it was acceptable, then it wouldnt be an issue on the test to begin with.

There may be very much more legitimate reason than not, to be travelling at speeds below the maximum speed limit set for the road in question but that however does not excuse inappropriately low speeds without due reason as it impedes road safety rather than promoting it. That is why it is an 'assessable' characteristic of the candidates driving test and why one can be failed for it.

Archived