For those people who drive everywhere at 20mph

the only thing I'm saying is people dordling along below the given speed limit when there is no need can frustrate people driving behind and and temp them to take silly chances,

Yes, people are so incapable of resisting that temptation thing. If only those girls stopped wearing those short skirts then my wife might let me out on my own again. It's not my fault I tell'yer. :hihi:

You're being disingenuous now that Obelix has shown that driving inappropriately slowly is an offence.

That isn't a point that I contested. I said driving slow was, in and of itself, not a crime. My point was solely that there other factors to take into consideration. If driving slow was a crime, you'd arrest the slow car and all the people behind it doing the same speed. That would be silly.

I agree that some people who are driving slow should be punished. I don't think I've said otherwise. Maybe I'm being misunderstood.

But are they following the guidelines in the Highway Code driving everywhere at 20 just because they want to?

If the Highway Code says they shouldn't be travelling at 20mph on every road, then that rule is being broken. I've not said otherwise.

There is something else to consider here. Back to the people driving at 20 in a 30 zone - suppose that the persom committing that faux pas had turned off Derek Dooley Way, driven past Kwik Fit on Broad Lane and finished up in Broomhill. I would say that the difference in actual time that it took a car to travel that distance where one limited their top speed to 20 compared with the time it took for someone limiting their top speed to 30 would be roughly the same. Obviously this is time of day dependant but it is rare not to be in queues at the various traffic lights and roundabouts in between the start and end destination.

Regarding the people who drive at 40 in a 60, or 50 on the motorway - it could be that they are conserving fuel. Not sure whether driving at 40 returns more MPG than 60; I suppose in some cars driving at 60 could be more economical than 40.

Myself, I like to give my car a blast and open it up if I get the chance on the open road. I believe that it does actually do the car good and there is a certain feeling of satisfaction to be able to power (safely) through a long bend (waits for the 'dangerous driving' comments). However, for example, on a road like the A629 from Huddersfield to Grenoside - there won't be much difference in my journey time at a normal time of day drive between driving at a top speed of, say, 45 and a top speed of 80 (oops - did I say that speed aloud).

That isn't a point that I contested. I said driving slow was, in and of itself, not a crime. My point was solely that there other factors to take into consideration. If driving slow was a crime, you'd arrest the slow car and all the people behind it doing the same speed. That would be silly.

That's why you keep saying slow and other people keep saying inappropriately slow.

I agree that some people who are driving slow should be punished. I don't think I've said otherwise. Maybe I'm being misunderstood.

If the Highway Code says they shouldn't be travelling at 20mph on every road, then that rule is being broken. I've not said otherwise.

You appeared to say that people could travel at whatever speed they wished. In fact I think you said it several times.

Would you please do all us normal drivers a favour and every once a while, look in your rear view mirror, and if you see a mile long queue behind you, try and push toward 25mph or so as most of us don't have forever and a day to get from A to B.

Thank you in advance.

Obviously don't know the rules of the game...

Every person you have stuck behind you is worth 10 points, if you are doing 10 under the limit.

20 points if you are doing 20 under

30 points for 30 under etc.

These points accumulate for every mile you do and you get a bonus 50 if you get honked at.

BUT.....

You lose them ALL if you are overtaken and the overtaker claims them, so make sure you speed up at any location where someone may want to steal your points.

Obviously don't know the rules of the game...

Every person you have stuck behind you is worth 10 points, if you are doing 10 under the limit.

20 points if you are doing 20 under

30 points for 30 under etc.

These points accumulate for every mile you do and you get a bonus 50 if you get honked at.

BUT.....

You lose them ALL if you are overtaken and the overtaker claims them, so make sure you speed up at any location where someone may want to steal your points.

:hihi:

Old Skater stick to your SKATES.:hihi: Only FOOLS rush in where Angels fear to tread.:hihi: can you lot read properly, the only thing I'm saying is people dordling along below the given speed limit when there is no need can frustrate people driving behind and and temp them to take silly chances, if I was behind someone messing about driving at snail pace, I would flash them and give them a blast of the hooter and tell em to shift. there you go! advice from the oldest boy racer in town.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

ta.

you can flash, toot and tell me to shift all you want. you can then sit and look at the back of my van until there's somewhere safe for you to pass.

you sitting behind me getting frustrated wont bother me one iota.

flash/toot/waste time

You can fail your test for failing to make progress. Aka, going too slow.

Without wanting to have a go at you personally, can I just scream at yet another person writing THAT!

There are dozens of things that may cause someone to fail THAT test of minimum competence.

It is no "gold standard" of driving yet many drivers would fail THAT test very readily for everything but not making progress.

More drivers would fail for speeding than lack of speed.

More drivers would fail for ineffective observations than for lack of progress.

More would fail for lack of signals, poorly timed or inappropriate signals.

More would fail for making other road users slow down or change course.

More would fail for poor road positioning or lane choice.

More would not even get out on the test route with the examiner for lights being AWOL (or other vehicle defects) because they've not had a helping hand of the instructor to ensure they are not AWOL.

And so on.

From my standpoint, someone not making progress ahead of me is the least of my worries dealing with the rest of you.

Archived