For those people who drive everywhere at 20mph

Without wanting to have a go at you personally, can I just scream at yet another person writing THAT!

There are dozens of things that may cause someone to fail THAT test of minimum competence.

It is no "gold standard" of driving yet many drivers would fail THAT test very readily for everything but not making progress.

More drivers would fail for speeding than lack of speed.

More drivers would fail for ineffective observations than for lack of progress.

More would fail for lack of signals, poorly timed or inappropriate signals.

More would fail for making other road users slow down or change course.

More would fail for poor road positioning or lane choice.

More would not even get out on the test route with the examiner for lights being AWOL (or other vehicle defects) because they've not had a helping hand of the instructor to ensure they are not AWOL.

And so on.

From my standpoint, someone not making progress ahead of me is the least of my worries dealing with the rest of you.

While you may be correct for observing that many people would fail their test for many of the criteria mentioned above, it does not deter from the fact that failure to maintain good progress is a criteria of its own within the test.

If someone 'passes' all of the above criteria but fails to pass the criteria of maintaining good progress, it still remains a 'fail' under the criteria of maintaining good progress and no matter how good one 'scores' under the above criteria, failure to maintain good progress is still a relevant 'fail' as would be any failure to adhere to the above mentioned criteria.

The driving test standard requires a 'pass' in all of the required criteria as mentioned above. Just because somebody excels in one criteria does not permit them to fail in another.

The least of your concerns is not the issue but the issue of the driving standards agency. They deem what is acceptable and what is not. Failure to maintain good progress is a relevant issue and not one for you to dispute.

ta.

you can flash, toot and tell me to shift all you want. you can then sit and look at the back of my van until there's somewhere safe for you to pass.

you sitting behind me getting frustrated wont bother me one iota.

flash/toot/waste time

Sounds to me you do this sort of thing on purpose all the time, driving like this will cause an accident while your getting your kicks winding someone up behind you.:suspect:

Sounds to me you do this sort of thing on purpose all the time, driving like this will cause an accident while your getting your kicks winding someone up behind you.:suspect:

I still think you fail to understand that the person overtaking would cause the accident if there was one.....

I still think you fail to understand that the person overtaking would cause the accident if there was one.....

Haha! I would like to say both parties are to blame, but the initial culprit is the one going to slow, but I suppose in a court of law the overtaker would get the blame, but I still say keep up to speed to avoid any chancers taking silly risk.

ta.

you can flash, toot and tell me to shift all you want. you can then sit and look at the back of my van until there's somewhere safe for you to pass.

you sitting behind me getting frustrated wont bother me one iota.

flash/toot/waste time

So you are arrogant. You're quite happy to hold up other drivers, despite the highway code telling you to pull over if you're causing an obstruction.

So you are arrogant. You're quite happy to hold up other drivers, despite the highway code telling you to pull over if you're causing an obstruction.

Depends really.

If he's deliberately driving slowly at 20mph in a 30mph road, collecting Scozzie Points, then yes he's being arrogant. But I've still to meet such a person. The odd elderly person lacking confidence maybe, every now and again, but arrogant slow drivers not to my knowledge.

If he's driving at 28mph in a 30mph, and there are impatient drivers behind him that want to drive at 35mph, then I don't think he is.

The latter situation is much more common, and this is backed up repeatedly by the annual surveys into traffic speed. The average speed on 30mph roads is actually 30mph, and that's radar checked not the speedos that the drivers see. That's quite a majority of drivers over the speed limit to achieve that. In fact the surveys show that 65% of cars exceed the 30mph speed limit with 32% exceeding 35mph.

My opinion is that drivers moaning about "20mph drivers" as if they come across them "several times a day" are really underestimating their own speed, and exaggerating the slowness of others.

You might be right. I'm rarely held up by a single driver in 30 zones (more likely to be just lots of traffic). I do notice frequent slow drivers in NSL limits though, and when I note that they're doing 40mph, that's not me underestimating my own speed.

You might be right. I'm rarely held up by a single driver in 30 zones (more likely to be just lots of traffic). I do notice frequent slow drivers in NSL limits though, and when I note that they're doing 40mph, that's not me underestimating my own speed.

Yes, I notice plenty of those drivers too, but it was never really what the thread was set up to discuss.

The only reason I chipped in was because the suggestion that we are plagued by 20mph drivers is nonsense. It was a red rag to me because whenever I have heard people moan about such a species of driver, it has always come from somebody who I know drives too fast.

We went to skeggy few years ago via the old way back of Lincoln to the toll bridge. We were following a jaguar car and boy oh boy was that an experience. The road is 60mph up to Durham bridge when it drops to 30mph. Well he was going 30 all the way and at the corners doing 10mph. When the road said slow ( you know the painted SLOW on the road ) he put his brakes on full !!

So we gets up to Durham and we meet the 30mph sign , at this point I'd coast the car and gently slow to 30. Well this joker by this time was doing 50 and to the millimetre on the sign he braked and stopped then set off back off at 30 !!!

I nearly nearly rear ended him and swerved into the other lane to avoid an collision.

I got to the toll booth, threw the 60p at the man in the cab office and flawed the car past this idiot in the jag. Swear to god he was making me wanting to pull over and cry because it was such a scary drive behind him, so unpredictable.

Archived