For those people who drive everywhere at 20mph

Would you please do all us normal drivers a favour and every once a while, look in your rear view mirror, and if you see a mile long queue behind you, try and push toward 25mph or so as most of us don't have forever and a day to get from A to B.

Thank you in advance.

And to those who drive at 30 in a 40 zone, speeding up to 40 in a 30 zone, just pull-over, switch the engine off, get out and step away from your Yaris! :hihi:

so even though the bloke was unpredictable you where still driving too close?

Eh driving too close ?

How , how could you give a guy enough room when he simply kept stopping. The distance I kept giving him was quickly gobbled back up on the very next corner !! Other than stopping in a lay by and giving him a good hour or so to wee off what would you have done ?

You anticipate a gradual slow down yeah around corner and at speed limits common sense really, when someone for whatever reason dead stops to zero then I'm sorry how can anyone avoid situations like that without getting too close without trying !

Eh driving too close ?

How , how could you give a guy enough room when he simply kept stopping. The distance I kept giving him was quickly gobbled back up on the very next corner !! Other than stopping in a lay by and giving him a good hour or so to wee off what would you have done ?

You anticipate a gradual slow down yeah around corner and at speed limits common sense really, when someone for whatever reason dead stops to zero then I'm sorry how can anyone avoid situations like that without getting too close without trying !

yawn. another one.

if you cant keep a safe distance, no matter what the driver in front of you is doing then you need to resit your test.

jeeeez there are a LOT of crap drivers on this forum, and they all seem to find ways of blaming others for their bad driving.

He was driving too slow, so i HAD to overtake on a blind corner

He was driving in an unpredictable way so i had to almost crash when overtaking him

It was the other blokes fault your honour, Yes that one that was not in the accident at all

he made me do it. i was so frustrated i had to overtake on the brow of the hill

she was wearing a short skirt! she was asking for it.

notice a pattern? people unable to take responsibility for their own actions?

If im doing 30 and someone is 2ft off my arse and i have to brake suddenly, then hes going to hit me and more importantly my kids may get hurt.

If im only doing 10 or 11mph and hes 2ft off my bumper, should i slam my brakes on he will A, possibly stop in time or B,Wont cause much damage to car and kids if he cant stop in time.

As soon as the driver is a proper and safe distance from my bumper will i then resume a higher speed and hell get where hes going a lot faster.

Hit the nail on the head!! Better to drive slowly with someone up your back side than at the speed limit.

---------- Post added 01-04-2013 at 01:31 ----------

When did driving slowly lead to someone failing their test? I sat mine nearly 15 years ago, but I distinctly remember being told that if I'm nearing the speed limit then I'm going too fast.

I only passed 2 years ago. I was always told to 'get up to speed'. Obviously things have changed since you passed your test.

---------- Post added 01-04-2013 at 01:39 ----------

Maybe you're one of them if you don't notice it?

I know loads of people that say the same. One of my staff drives down the M1 to work every morning and often says they see people driving at 50mph during normal conditions.

Nothing wrong with driving at 50mph on the motorway. There's 2 other lanes to over take them on. The problem is when it's a single carriage way and people can't get past.

Nothing wrong with driving at 50mph on the motorway. There's 2 other lanes to over take them on. The problem is when it's a single carriage way and people can't get past.

I disagree.

At 50 you are forcing HGVs to use the 2nd lane to over take you, and to do so quite slowly. So you are contributing a large amount to congestion and forcing lane changes (which are more dangerous than not changing lane).

If you wish to drive at 55, that doesn't affect anyone, but slower than that and it starts to have an impact on everyone else.

(Assuming flowing traffic, sometimes the entire motorway is slower than that, but that's not 'choosing' to drive at 50 mph or less).

I disagree.

At 50 you are forcing HGVs to use the 2nd lane to over take you, and to do so quite slowly. So you are contributing a large amount to congestion and forcing lane changes (which are more dangerous than not changing lane).

If you wish to drive at 55, that doesn't affect anyone, but slower than that and it starts to have an impact on everyone else.

(Assuming flowing traffic, sometimes the entire motorway is slower than that, but that's not 'choosing' to drive at 50 mph or less).

Nice to see someone talk sense.:thumbsup:

how am I putting myself in danger?

Inconsiderate driving puts other people in danger.

That isn't a point that I contested. I said driving slow was, in and of itself, not a crime. My point was solely that there other factors to take into consideration. If driving slow was a crime, you'd arrest the slow car and all the people behind it doing the same speed. That would be silly.

I agree that some people who are driving slow should be punished. I don't think I've said otherwise. Maybe I'm being misunderstood.

If the Highway Code says they shouldn't be travelling at 20mph on every road, then that rule is being broken. I've not said otherwise.

You've said that you were told not to drive up the speed limit.

ta.

you can flash, toot and tell me to shift all you want. you can then sit and look at the back of my van until there's somewhere safe for you to pass.

you sitting behind me getting frustrated wont bother me one iota.

flash/toot/waste time

Again, how inconsiderate.

We all have to share the available road space, and to do so safely requires co-operation, courtesy & consideration for other road users.

Driving slow when it isn't appropriate to do so is inconsiderate and dangerous as it causes tailbacks and frustration. This can lead to dangerous overtaking manoeuvres.

Yes it may be their fault for making such a manoeuvre, but they wouldn't have made it if the slowcoach was driving at the appropriate speed in the first place.

Transport Department figures show 143 accidents a year are caused directly by slow drivers. In 2011 the government introduced a scheme which allows for £100 on-the-spot fine for careless driving-including those that drive too slow.

http://www.confused.com/press/releases/slowly-driving-us-car-azy

If you really don't feel comfortable at a higher speed, allow drivers to overtake you, as The Highway Code states.

Highway code rule 169

Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.

Better still, have a few lessons & retake your test, or leave your car at home.

If you still insist on driving inappropriately slowly I just hope you get fined & points on your license.

I disagree.

HGV's overtake each other all the time anyway. You're right though, 55mph is more like it. The point I was trying to make is that it's safer to drive well under the limit on the motorway than a normal road. I think drivers need to drive as close to the speed limit as possible on 'normal' roads with 30/40mph limits.

HGV's overtake each other all the time anyway. You're right though, 55mph is more like it. The point I was trying to make is that it's safer to drive well under the limit on the motorway than a normal road. I think drivers need to drive as close to the speed limit as possible on 'normal' roads with 30/40mph limits.

They do, more's the pity.

yawn. another one.

if you cant keep a safe distance, no matter what the driver in front of you is doing then you need to resit your test.

jeeeez there are a LOT of crap drivers on this forum, and they all seem to find ways of blaming others for their bad driving.

He was driving too slow, so i HAD to overtake on a blind corner

He was driving in an unpredictable way so i had to almost crash when overtaking him

It was the other blokes fault your honour, Yes that one that was not in the accident at all

he made me do it. i was so frustrated i had to overtake on the brow of the hill

she was wearing a short skirt! she was asking for it.

notice a pattern? people unable to take responsibility for their own actions?

I'd sooner have a bad driver in front of me than behind me. In front they can do least harm.

Archived