For those people who drive everywhere at 20mph

I disagree.

At 50 you are forcing HGVs to use the 2nd lane to over take you, and to do so quite slowly. So you are contributing a large amount to congestion and forcing lane changes (which are more dangerous than not changing lane).

If you wish to drive at 55, that doesn't affect anyone, but slower than that and it starts to have an impact on everyone else.

(Assuming flowing traffic, sometimes the entire motorway is slower than that, but that's not 'choosing' to drive at 50 mph or less).

While i agree entirely with the sentiment of this post, i have to point out a minor 'flaw'.

The speed limiter in HGV's are set to a maximum by law of 56mph (Some companies set it to lower) and a truck will not accelerate past 56mph under its own power.

As a HGV driver myself with our vehicles set at 56mph, the person i dread most is the 54/55 mph whaller because it takes an eternity to pass and usually, these people do not have the common sense to 'back off' a bit until we get past, whereas at 50, they present much less of a problem and we can pass by in a couple of seconds.

People should use their mirrors more. If they want to drive at 55mph on a motorway.. cool but for goodness sake, if you see the truck behind gradually catching up, either speed up a bit so he starts dropping behind again or when he pulls out to overtake, slow down a tad and let him back in sooner.

urrr because if you are going from a minor road to a major road you have to stop and look.

Its safer if you are going from a major to a minor road as well.

If there is a Stop sign - or solid lines across your side of the road - you have to stop.

If there is a 'Give Way' sign - or broken lines across your side of the road you do not have to stop.

If you are on a major road and you stop before you turn into a minor road you may see feel one or two accidents you would otherwise not have seen.:hihi:

Do you think people should stop and look before they change lanes on a motorway too?

While i agree entirely with the sentiment of this post, i have to point out a minor 'flaw'.

The speed limiter in HGV's are set to a maximum by law of 56mph (Some companies set it to lower) and a truck will not accelerate past 56mph under its own power.

As a HGV driver myself with our vehicles set at 56mph, the person i dread most is the 54/55 mph whaller because it takes an eternity to pass and usually, these people do not have the common sense to 'back off' a bit until we get past, whereas at 50, they present much less of a problem and we can pass by in a couple of seconds.

People should use their mirrors more. If they want to drive at 55mph on a motorway.. cool but for goodness sake, if you see the truck behind gradually catching up, either speed up a bit so he starts dropping behind again or when he pulls out to overtake, slow down a tad and let him back in sooner.

Many people, myself included, drive at 50mph, or just over, because it's the optimum speed for fuel consumption. I'm currently trying to exceed 1,000 miles before I refuel.....just to see if it can be done. I always let my foot off the gas when a HGV overtakes, then give them a flash when they are safely past.

With the rising fuel costs, you see more and more people driving around the 52mph mark.

Most people aren't aware of the dangers caused by driving at this speed though. You have to be extra careful driving at this speed. It's just common sense though, unfortunately, this seems to be lacking in many drivers. Don't know why, driving is incredibly easy, especially motorway driving.

Many people, myself included, drive at 50mph, or just over, because it's the optimum speed for fuel consumption. I'm currently trying to exceed 1,000 miles before I refuel.....just to see if it can be done. I always let my foot off the gas when a HGV overtakes, then give them a flash when they are safely past.

With the rising fuel costs, you see more and more people driving around the 52mph mark.

Most people aren't aware of the dangers caused by driving at this speed though. You have to be extra careful driving at this speed. It's just common sense though, unfortunately, this seems to be lacking in many drivers. Don't know why, driving is incredibly easy, especially motorway driving.

<REMOVED>

I was trained (and tested) as a high-speed pursuit driver (motorcycles and cars.) I'm pretty good up to about 190 mph.

The standard of driving and riding in the UK is so low that - If I could set the limits - I would set an National limit of 45 (that's about what they do in 30 limits anyway) and in built-up areas I'd reduce it to 15mph.

Brits are not very good at driving.

The standard of driving and riding in the UK is so low.

Possibly symptomatic of this is the fact that almost the only criterion of good/bad driving mentioned and discussed at length on here is speed.

It's as though we drive only on a track like Jeremy Buffoon.

Possibly symptomatic of this is the fact that almost the only criterion of good/bad driving mentioned and discussed at length on here is speed.

Agreed. If only more people realised that they were just average drivers, with average reactions. A great deal of risk on the roads derives from people who think they are good drivers, and can drive at high speed so much better than everybody else.

Thanks, DT, but you and I both know better.

I take pride in what I do every time I get into a car. (I don't like driving it, but if I've got to drive a tin can I may as well be the best tin can driver in the world that day.)

When I ride a motorcycle? - even worse.

Either way, I'm the best (most highly-skilled) person you will ever encounter on the road.

(That's a simple fact. I've got pieces of paper issued by God [or one of his very many representatives] which say I can ride or drive anything anywhere whenever I want to.

I have a 'word'* from one of God's which says I can jump off a mountain.

That's love. She (probably) doesn't want me to do it.

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 08:54 ----------

Sorry, but the standard of driving in the UK is indeed **** Poor.

We (both you and I) know [perhaps] more than a little about 'driver training' than is requir4ed.

Well, you do live on treasure Island.

That must be down to living here. It could not (Of course) have anything to do with the fact you can' t drive ....

Didi it?

<REMOVED>

I was trained (and tested) as a high-speed pursuit driver (motorcycles and cars.) I'm pretty good up to about 190 mph.

The standard of driving and riding in the UK is so low that - If I could set the limits - I would set an National limit of 45 (that's about what they do in 30 limits anyway) and in built-up areas I'd reduce it to 15mph.

Brits are not very good at driving.

I'm pretty good up 190 mph. How is life on Planet Silverstone.:hihi::hihi::hihi::loopy:

Agreed. If only more people realised that they were just average drivers, with average reactions. A great deal of risk on the roads derives from people who think they are good drivers, and can drive at high speed so much better than everybody else.

And there lies the problem a crap driver cant see how someone could be better than them so they combat it with bags of attitude and you can see it every day.

If it was up to me i would retest ALL drivers every ten years and grade them but not with the farce of a test we have now a proper test that actually tests more than 2 random excercises.Its a joke and thats why there is so many driving round at half the posted speeds,but at the same time making excuses for it name calling anyone else with some ability.

If you grade drivers at least that way the crap drivers would know they are crap and because they would be loaded on insurance,have some incentive to improve.No doubt they would still try and blame the examiners but some will never take responsibility.

I recon at least 20% would never attempt another test and another chunk would never pass a proper one never mind get anything but a low grade.

Archived