For those people who drive everywhere at 20mph

I have driven in Holland, and here, as my family is over there. I disagree with the notion the driving over here is poor! In Holland people just do not look when changing lanes on the motorway! And because the roads are generally straight the number of people using their mobiles seems higher. That is just from what I have seen though. Learning to drive on roads like Snake Pass teach you a lot of respect for the lay of the road, and position on the road.

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 16:14 ----------

However... we do have the worst roads over here. The infrastructure is awful!

Its not that simple.Slower drivers tend to not hold a set speed which has the vehicles behind them all doing the same.That rules out the cruise control and ups stress levels and risk needlessly .

Faster drivers don't hold to a steady speed either. At least not from what I've observed whilst using cruise control.

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 20:17 ----------

Possibly symptomatic of this is the fact that almost the only criterion of good/bad driving mentioned and discussed at length on here is speed.

It's as though we drive only on a track like Jeremy Buffoon.

We've had threads about people who have poor lane discipline, don't look, use their phone, pull up on main roads to let people out of side roads, stop at roundabouts and junctions when it's clear, don't indicate, etc...

Faster drivers don't hold to a steady speed either. At least not from what I've observed whilst using cruise control.

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 20:17 ----------

We've had threads about people who have poor lane discipline, don't look, use their phone, pull up on main roads to let people out of side roads, stop at roundabouts and junctions when it's clear, don't indicate, etc...

I cant say ive come accross that problem,its definatly the slow drivers that seem unable to complete even the simplist tasks including driving in a straight line without braking at every lampost.

I cant say ive come accross that problem,its definatly the slow drivers that seem unable to complete even the simplist tasks including driving in a straight line without braking at every lampost.

Not true.... There are slow drivers who are perfectly capable of driving well.

The bottom line is, there are two types of drivers, good and bad. Speed has nothing to do with it what so ever.

It's always the fast drivers (usually in Audis') on the motorway that cause most problems, as far as I'm concerned. They can't decide which lane they want to be in, they tailgate, they cut you up!

Not true.... There are slow drivers who are perfectly capable of driving well.

The bottom line is, there are two types of drivers, good and bad. Speed has nothing to do with it what so ever.

It's always the fast drivers (usually in Audis') on the motorway that cause most problems, as far as I'm concerned. They can't decide which lane they want to be in, they tailgate, they cut you up!

There are actually three types of drivers, good drivers, bad drivers, and screwdrivers.:hihi:

I don't suppose you'd notice the inconsistencies of fast drivers speeds whilst driving a trunk 100k miles a year.

As I've said, I just don't buy the argument that 20mph drivers are a problem.

But with this thread in mind I brought up the subject with my brother-in-law at the weekend because he lives in a Cotswold village so needs to drive everywhere and he's always moaning about slow drivers.

He looked puzzled when I mentioned slow drivers though. It's not slow drivers that's the problem, it's fast drivers he said. Their village has one of those smiley face flashing signs thingys, and the average is closer to 40mph than the 30mph limit.

What annoys them is "slower" traffic, on the "A" roads like Fosse Way. Drivers doing 50mph when the limit is 70mph, or 40mph when it is 50mph, infuriate them. Lots of holiday traffic, caravans, agricultural vehicles are all part of the annoyance of living in a picturesque Cotswold village. But ...

There are no shops in their village any more, or the neighbouring ones. They all disappeared with the growth of the supermarkets and their nearest one is 15 miles away, and there is no bus service. Car ownership is vital. Some of their neighbours are elderly and get the car out of their garages once a week to get supplies, keep in touch with family. Many of them might be more confident driving at 40mph rather than 50mph, and therein lies the paradox of complaining about slower drivers.

It might be an easy throwaway remark for a young able-bodied person to spout demands about slow drivers being off the road, but who's to say that his/her 5 mins home earlier is more important than somebody else's shopping, or connection with family and friends? Will he/she be so quick to follow their own advice if/when they become less confident at speed? People might get slower as they get older, but they also might become more dependant on the car, so who are we to make demands about speed?

Archived