For those people who drive everywhere at 20mph

In America, each state has its own traffic laws. Many have 65 MPH as the upper limit, some have 70 or 75 MPH limits, especially in quiet highway zones, but the minimum limit on Interstates is usually arround 45 MPH, and you will get booked if you go below it. Where the road is only four lanes wide, it is illegal in some to drive in the passing lane below the upper limit if other cars want to get by. Where it is six lanes wide you can often pass in a slower lane as long as you signal the intent. I'm talking about roads with a dividing center line. The trick to making sure you don't get done for speeding in a state you're not familiar with is to note what the locals are doing. Just go with the flow, and you should be alright. The cops are out looking for lane jumpers, and teenagers.

I would make myself aware that the pedestrian could just walk out and prepare myself to slow down/brake but I'm referring to those who have already pressed the button and made it all the way across well before I even approach the crossing - causing my to stop for no reason, when they could have looked, seen 1 car approaching, wait for it to pass then simply walk across the road.

Sounds pretty basic common sense to me.

So your need to reach your destination is greater than the pedestrian's as you are unwilling to wait yet you expect a pedestrian to wait for you. Surely waiting for half a minute isn't going to eat into your journey time too much as before long you'll come across someone driving at 20 mph anyhow.

Why do they annoy you, because in your opinion they aren't doing anything wrong? I on the other-hand have said they annoy me because they impose themselves on me out of choice without any consideration for other road users.

They annoy me because they are driving slow and I would like them to drive faster. That doesn't impose any duty on them though, because they're not doing anything wrong.

It's a subjective point. At what speed does "slow" become "too slow"? At what speed does "careful" become "silly"?

Nobody here can give any better figures than my 5/6 mph messing around, because their answer would equally be silly. 24 is too slow but 25 is ok? 49 is too slow but 50 is okay? It's all subjective.

So we're back again, and we've got the same points of contention - again. Such is life.

The courts disagree. Failing to make adequate progress is considered to be driving without due care and consideration...

There were other factors in her driving that caused that offence, not just going slow. Driving erratically, driving slowly, causing other drivers to take evasive action.

The act of driving slow is still not an offence by and of itself. There is no minimum speed limit.

So your need to reach your destination is greater than the pedestrian's as you are unwilling to wait yet you expect a pedestrian to wait for you. Surely waiting for half a minute isn't going to eat into your journey time too much as before long you'll come across someone driving at 20 mph anyhow.

But half a minute of my average driving journey is a far greater percentage than the 10/20 seconds the pedestrian has to wait in their total journey on foot.

See who's the more selfish one now?

But half a minute of my average driving journey is a far greater percentage than the 10/20 seconds the pedestrian has to wait in their total journey on foot.

See who's the more selfish one now?

Without stopping and surveying the pedestrian about how long their walk is and comparing it to your own estimates we'll never really know will we?

Would people set a Required Speed Limit? If it says 30mph then maybe a RSL of 25?

Sensible debate back on track.

Would people suggest a Required Speed Limit?

It should be illegal to drive too slow?

No. Given your example of 25 mph, I would have been 'done' numerous times over the last few days.

I would have broken the law at 3:20 when I drove past Tapton School at 20 mph. I had a car right up my @*$* at the time - wonder if it was the OP. I was driving at this speed as there were numerous kids walking on the pavement as well as on the road. They were probably on the road not only because of the snow but because that's what kids do.

If we set a required speed limit then some people will try to aim for that speed when it simply isn't safe to do so.

The act of driving slow is still not an offence by and of itself. There is no minimum speed limit.

No one has said there is. However driving too slowly - ie failure to make adequate progress is both a reason for failing a driving test, and is also considered driving without due care and consideration, which is an offence.

Perhaps you would like the CPS's take on it..

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road_traffic_offences_guidance_on_prosecuting_cases_of_bad_driving/

I quote (snipped for brevity)

"Driving without reasonable consideration - Section 3 RTA 1988....

This offence is appropriate........ The following examples are typical of what we are likely to regard as inconsiderate driving:

flashing of lights to force other drivers in front to give way;

misuse of any lane to avoid queuing or gain some other advantage over other drivers;

unnecessarily remaining in an overtaking lane;

unnecessarily slow driving or braking without good cause"

Without stopping and surveying the pedestrian about how long their walk is and comparing it to your own estimates we'll never really know will we?

You obviously consider my opinion wrong so answer this (as I mentioned above):

Why do they press the button and cross before I've got anywhere near close to the crossing - thus causing me to stop for no reason? It hasn't saved them any time has it? It has caused me to lose time so why do it?

Archived