Costco membership

Makro was never particularly cheap unless you bought their ghastly own Charles House/Aro brands! Most things were cheaper in the supermarkets once you added vat. I have a feeling that Costco is of the same ilk?

no. I'm in both. Costco is the more serious trade warehouse of the two. I think Makro is more general public oriented. Makro focuses more on non-food where there are bigger margins to be had.

I think for both it's good to look at the special offers. To give one example, in our local co-op they are offering 400g of chopped tomatoes at HALF-PRICE - works out 64p a tin. I bought exactly the same from Costco the other day for 52p a tin. So, 12p a tin cheaper than co-op's half price offer.

Of course, you do have to buy in bulk mainly. The wash powder works out £'s cheaper than the supermarkets btw.

Costco also have some excellent wines - especially the fine wine range. To take another example, Wolf Blass President's selection is about £12 in the big supermarkets - it's £9 in Costco. I bought a case of cheap plonk - Hardy's Chardonnay from Costco - worked out at less than £4 a bottle. That's cheaper than the cheapest box wine out there.

As you say, you get 2% back at the end of the year on the Exec membership. I use mine for business so I buy computers, printers, stationery etc as well. It's worth me having the exec card. Might not be worth it though if you don't plan to purchase £1800 a year as the previous guy has said.

no. I'm in both. Costco is the more serious trade warehouse of the two. I think Makro is more general public oriented. Makro focuses more on non-food where there are bigger margins to be had.

I think for both it's good to look at the special offers. To give one example, in our local co-op they are offering 400g of chopped tomatoes at HALF-PRICE - works out 64p a tin. I bought exactly the same from Costco the other day for 52p a tin. So, 12p a tin cheaper than co-op's half price offer.

Of course, you do have to buy in bulk mainly. The wash powder works out £'s cheaper than the supermarkets btw.

Costco also have some excellent wines - especially the fine wine range. To take another example, Wolf Blass President's selection is about £12 in the big supermarkets - it's £9 in Costco. I bought a case of cheap plonk - Hardy's Chardonnay from Costco - worked out at less than £4 a bottle. That's cheaper than the cheapest box wine out there.

As you say, you get 2% back at the end of the year on the Exec membership. I use mine for business so I buy computers, printers, stationery etc as well. It's worth me having the exec card. Might not be worth it though if you don't plan to purchase £1800 a year as the previous guy has said.

I have to agree with you there. My only gripe was recently I went to buy a watch and the lady that showed it me had no interest in serving me at all, and was in fact quite rude to me. I complained to head office and to this day they never even acknowledged my complaint. I ended up buying the watch elsewhere. If it wasn't for the fact I save a fortune on some things compared to the supermarket I would have cancelled my membership. If you look on the web, they do not have a good reputation for customer service. Although I have always found the other members of staff helpful and pleasant.

If you look on the web, they do not have a good reputation for customer service. Although I have always found the other members of staff helpful and pleasant.

You're joking right?

Costco are legendary for good customer service; You can return anything you bought from there, no matter how long you've had it and without a receipt, no questions asked.

You're joking right?

Costco are legendary for good customer service; You can return anything you bought from there, no matter how long you've had it and without a receipt, no questions asked.

I'm not talking about returns, I mean the handling of customer complaints.

They were good enough on my 320bhp Sierra RS Cosworth thats for sure.

I got my dad to put some Falkens on his Saab 9-3 Aero. They're so much better than the Continentals that were on it and it handles so much nicer, and theyre a quieter tyre too.

You'd be surprised, they get called Budget / low end quite a bit. Same as Toyo's do, yet I never complained when I had them fitted either!

---------- Post added 21-04-2013 at 22:59 ----------

Think I might join Costco when I move. Give me another option for Makro, so I'll have the best of both worlds.

Does anyone know if Costco sell Desperado's or Amigo's :hihi:

They sell both :D Costco is awesome and you will save the £66 in 2-3 shops, depending on what you buy.

Archived