Would you buy a suspended coffee?

What do Shelter run in sheffield, or anywhere? Other than advertising campaigns?

CAP are pretty much it in Sheffield and as far as I'm aware M&S refuse to release food to them. The indys do, bless em. If I'm wrong on M & S then appologies to them and I'll ask CAP tomorrow for clarification.

I'm surprised M&S refuse food to CAP they are such a needed charity,and need all the help they can get.

I'm surprised M&S refuse food to CAP they are such a needed charity,and need all the help they can get.

I could be wrong though I do recall a conversation with one of the ladies at CAP about it and I think the reason given from M&S is that it would degrade their brand. I'll ring CAP first thing and report back on the current situation.

If the idiots who think this is a good idea would maybe consider taking two minutes out of their lives to wander down to Cathedral Archer Project and drop them a few quid, the homeless would be much more appreciative of a donation to that charity than you getting them a mocha-latte double espresso from Starbucks.

What would the project be able to provide to a homeless with a couple of quid? A Coffee, a shower, wash their clothes, maybe a meal. Instead this stupid craze drempt up by idiots who want to feel like they're making a difference but actually just end up funding Starbucks when no homeless comes to claim the drink.

I'll say it again Hans as you seem to have missed it the previous times I have said it ... This is about people doing something that might make a bit of a difference in someone's life. The suspended coffee is just a starting point. Yes people COULD go to the Archer Project. How many people even know it exists? Of those who know of it how many people ACTUALLY go out of their way to drop in some money/food/clothes? Not many!

This project will do something good for people in need in the moment and will, in the long term, raise awareness of causes like The Archer Project. By making this a local movement, tied together via social media it will be possible to co-ordinate local action to help local people most in need.

This is not a "craze", it is a well established idea that has now made it to the UK from Italy, via the USA, Australia, Bulgaria and Romania, all through the power of social media and through people showing a bit of kindness to their fellow human beings.

By the way there is no such thing as a "mocha-latte double espresso". A mocha is made with latte milk and espresso. A latte does not have chocolate in it but does have espresso. There is a drink called a double espresso but this does not have milk or chocolate in it. What I am proposing is that people in need can get a basic hot drink at no cost to them and the shop making very little profit (if any).

It is possible that the big brand coffee chains will want to be involved in the idea but I would imagine more from a PR point of view after the non-payment of tax was revealed. I will be approaching Sheffield Starbucks & Costa shops but I would imagine independent shops will be more predisposed to the idea as they have a greater degree of flexibility in what they do and tend to have stronger and more genuine links with the community.

If you don't want to buy a suspended coffee that is fine, no-one is forcing you to do so. I am sure your work with the Archer Project will be very valuable to the people they help. I commend you on your charitable nature and compassion for your fellow Sheffielders.

Having anything available for people in need is great, there's no denying that, but I personally feel that are issues with the concept.

For me they're mainly around two areas.

The most obvious is use of resources - if I've got £3 to give to someone in need then is buying a suspended coffee the best use for that money? I doubt it. However, if your idea attracts people who would never give, then that's a good thing. You've encouraged generosity in someone who didn't give before.

The second and more important potential pitfall is that rather than highlighting the problem of poverty it could simply make people feel good and feel like they're "doing their bit" and then forget about it. I think that's a real danger. We need to remember that this is *just a coffee*. If you're in poverty then a coffee fixes nothing.

For those reasons, personally, I wouldn't buy a suspended coffee. I'd encourage people to financially support the excellent homeless charities we hav ein Sheffield like Roundabout, CAP or HARC.

But if people aren't aware of these projects and want to buy suspended coffees with a generous heart then that's great.

I'll say it again Hans as you seem to have missed it the previous times I have said it ... This is about people doing something that might make a bit of a difference in someone's life. The suspended coffee is just a starting point. Yes people COULD go to the Archer Project. How many people even know it exists? Of those who know of it how many people ACTUALLY go out of their way to drop in some money/food/clothes? Not many!

This project will do something good for people in need in the moment and will, in the long term, raise awareness of causes like The Archer Project. By making this a local movement, tied together via social media it will be possible to co-ordinate local action to help local people most in need.

This is not a "craze", it is a well established idea that has now made it to the UK from Italy, via the USA, Australia, Bulgaria and Romania, all through the power of social media and through people showing a bit of kindness to their fellow human beings.

By the way there is no such thing as a "mocha-latte double espresso". A mocha is made with latte milk and espresso. A latte does not have chocolate in it but does have espresso. There is a drink called a double espresso but this does not have milk or chocolate in it. What I am proposing is that people in need can get a basic hot drink at no cost to them and the shop making very little profit (if any).

It is possible that the big brand coffee chains will want to be involved in the idea but I would imagine more from a PR point of view after the non-payment of tax was revealed. I will be approaching Sheffield Starbucks & Costa shops but I would imagine independent shops will be more predisposed to the idea as they have a greater degree of flexibility in what they do and tend to have stronger and more genuine links with the community.

If you don't want to buy a suspended coffee that is fine, no-one is forcing you to do so. I am sure your work with the Archer Project will be very valuable to the people they help. I commend you on your charitable nature and compassion for your fellow Sheffielders.

So it's on the barista to decide who looks sufficiently poor enough? What are the rules? Can I get a suspended coffee if I'm on benefits and my dole hasn't come through? If I'm a teenager and I've got no pocket money left? What if I lost my bank card in Harrods and I'm really cold but I don't have any change? Do I have to be homeless? What if I'm homeless and I have no money but my clothes don't look dirty enough? Do I literally have to walk in to Starbucks with a bin bag over my head and bluebottles flying round me? Is there a board outside the shop detailing the types of people who are allowed a suspended coffee for people who don't know if they're entitled to one?

If you think it's such a good idea you really should be listing the rules because people need to know if they're entitled to one. Or is there a leaflet people can find?

I didn't know anything about the suspended coffee project before I saw this thread.

I do share a few of the reservations that have been mentioned, and all pros and cons have to be examined in detail, but the response to the thoughtful ideas the OP has seem on the whole to be positive.

Any support and anything that draws attention to the needs of the homeless can only be a good thing.

Having anything available for people in need is great, there's no denying that, but I personally feel that are issues with the concept.

For me they're mainly around two areas.

The most obvious is use of resources - if I've got £3 to give to someone in need then is buying a suspended coffee the best use for that money? I doubt it. However, if your idea attracts people who would never give, then that's a good thing. You've encouraged generosity in someone who didn't give before.

The second and more important potential pitfall is that rather than highlighting the problem of poverty it could simply make people feel good and feel like they're "doing their bit" and then forget about it. I think that's a real danger. We need to remember that this is *just a coffee*. If you're in poverty then a coffee fixes nothing.

For those reasons, personally, I wouldn't buy a suspended coffee. I'd encourage people to financially support the excellent homeless charities we hav ein Sheffield like Roundabout, CAP or HARC.

But if people aren't aware of these projects and want to buy suspended coffees with a generous heart then that's great.

Thanks for engaging with the idea Daylen. Questions phrased in the way you did shed light on the idea from different angles and helps the idea evolve. that is so much more constructive than calling someone an idiot!

OK, answers....

1) I think that many people would like to support people who ask for money on the street but don't want to support a potential drug problem so end up either ignoring people in need or saying things like "sorry, I've not got any change". People like the idea of giving but in the world we live in unless it is very easy and no hassle many won't bother at all.

Suspended coffee is mainly focused at these people who would like to donate and do something but don't go so far as tracking down organisations like CAP.

The threshold for participation in Suspended Coffee is £1. This is easy for the vast majority to find. For someone living on the streets the potential of a hot drink and/or a bite of food is going to be great in the short term.

Hopefully, through Suspended Coffee, these people who are donating can be engaged in the wider debate and become more aware of the issues and, more importantly, what individuals can do to make a further difference.

2) This is sort of addressed at the end of the previous point. Don't underestimate the good that can be done from getting a bit warmer and having a bite to eat. Of course a coffee does nothing to end that person's poverty in the moment. If the scheme becomes a part of the wider issues and helps to direct more awareness and resources to the people and organizations who do help people get out of poverty then surely this is a good thing?

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 18:02 ----------

So it's on the barista to decide who looks sufficiently poor enough? What are the rules? Can I get a suspended coffee if I'm on benefits and my dole hasn't come through? If I'm a teenager and I've got no pocket money left? What if I lost my bank card in Harrods and I'm really cold but I don't have any change? Do I have to be homeless? What if I'm homeless and I have no money but my clothes don't look dirty enough? Do I literally have to walk in to Starbucks with a bin bag over my head and bluebottles flying round me? Is there a board outside the shop detailing the types of people who are allowed a suspended coffee for people who don't know if they're entitled to one?

If you think it's such a good idea you really should be listing the rules because people need to know if they're entitled to one. Or is there a leaflet people can find?

There aren't any "rules" Hans. This idea is developing. In as short a time as possible there will be something that the coffee shops can agree with which can then be communicated to the donors and done-ees. With each day that passes more progress is made. More people offer constructive feedback, more people offer their support and encouragement, more coffee shops become aware of it and more media cover it which feeds back into the whole idea.

There is the potential for any system to be exploited. I think the system that develops will be largely free of exploitation. I think the number of people who would willingly and deliberately take food or drink out of the mouth of a homeless person are incredibly small.

In Italy the Suspended Coffee idea is very simple. They don't seem to have people who need rules and regulations. People just donate and people in need collect. The people in need could be homeless or in poverty or just have forgotten their purse. You can bet the person who gets a free drink because they forgot their purse will be a regular donor to they system! I like the idea of this but think that it is too simplistic for here as this thread proves. People seem to want rules and regulations.

The more rules the more barriers there are to it working. This is why I am studying how the system is applied abroad as well as working with people here in the UK and Sheffield specifically to see what the potential sticking points might be and working out how to still do Suspended Coffee but avoid the pitfalls.

Hopefully there will be a leaflet and poster aimed at those in need. It will list the places that support the scheme so those in need have the info. There will be a second flier and poster aimed at potential donors to inform them what the system is and how they can help. It will also encourage people to engage with organisations like CAP so that more long term solutions can be found hopefully. I am talking to a couple of different local printers trying to get these kinds of things printed for free.

Thanks for engaging with the idea Daylen. Questions phrased in the way you did shed light on the idea from different angles and helps the idea evolve. that is so much more constructive than calling someone an idiot!

OK, answers....

1) I think that many people would like to support people who ask for money on the street but don't want to support a potential drug problem so end up either ignoring people in need or saying things like "sorry, I've not got any change". People like the idea of giving but in the world we live in unless it is very easy and no hassle many won't bother at all.

Suspended coffee is mainly focused at these people who would like to donate and do something but don't go so far as tracking down organisations like CAP.

The threshold for participation in Suspended Coffee is £1. This is easy for the vast majority to find. For someone living on the streets the potential of a hot drink and/or a bite of food is going to be great in the short term.

Hopefully, through Suspended Coffee, these people who are donating can be engaged in the wider debate and become more aware of the issues and, more importantly, what individuals can do to make a further difference.

2) This is sort of addressed at the end of the previous point. Don't underestimate the good that can be done from getting a bit warmer and having a bite to eat. Of course a coffee does nothing to end that person's poverty in the moment. If the scheme becomes a part of the wider issues and helps to direct more awareness and resources to the people and organizations who do help people get out of poverty then surely this is a good thing?

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 18:02 ----------

There aren't any "rules" Hans. This idea is developing. In as short a time as possible there will be something that the coffee shops can agree with which can then be communicated to the donors and done-ees. With each day that passes more progress is made. More people offer constructive feedback, more people offer their support and encouragement, more coffee shops become aware of it and more media cover it which feeds back into the whole idea.

There is the potential for any system to be exploited. I think the system that develops will be largely free of exploitation. I think the number of people who would willingly and deliberately take food or drink out of the mouth of a homeless person are incredibly small.

In Italy the Suspended Coffee idea is very simple. They don't seem to have people who need rules and regulations. People just donate and people in need collect. The people in need could be homeless or in poverty or just have forgotten their purse. You can bet the person who gets a free drink because they forgot their purse will be a regular donor to they system! I like the idea of this but think that it is too simplistic for here as this thread proves. People seem to want rules and regulations.

The more rules the more barriers there are to it working. This is why I am studying how the system is applied abroad as well as working with people here in the UK and Sheffield specifically to see what the potential sticking points might be and working out how to still do Suspended Coffee but avoid the pitfalls.

Hopefully there will be a leaflet and poster aimed at those in need. It will list the places that support the scheme so those in need have the info. There will be a second flier and poster aimed at potential donors to inform them what the system is and how they can help. It will also encourage people to engage with organisations like CAP so that more long term solutions can be found hopefully. I am talking to a couple of different local printers trying to get these kinds of things printed for free.

Can they take the coffee outside? tramps smell of wee or booze, are dirty and unhygienic. I don't wish to sit near one whilst relaxing and paying good money in a coffee shop.

Can they take the coffee outside? tramps smell of wee or booze, are dirty and unhygienic. I don't wish to sit near one whilst relaxing and paying good money in a coffee shop.

I understand your concern TJC1...I think!

The plan is to make the scheme as flexible as possible for everyone involved. This means that if the coffee shops are happy for the recipients of suspended coffee to stay then they will be told that and people, such as yourself, will have to deal with that as you are a guest in the coffee shop.

Try and see things from the homeless person's point of view. It would be difficult for someone on the receiving end of a suspended coffee to sit down in a crowded cafe knowing that they may not be at the best point in their life shall we say?

I would imagine some coffee shops will want to have a take out only rule, others may well welcome people to stay and warm up while they enjoy the donated drink or food.