Would you buy a suspended coffee?

Thanks TJC1, I couldn't agree more.

As a small business owner I have found research can often be invaluable. Better to do something right once! And you know what they also say...proper planning prevents .... poor performance!

I'm not looking for approval, I am trying to include people in the idea. This isn't me saying "do as I say" , it's more about me saying "they are doing that and I think we could do something similar, what do you like about their idea and how could we make it even better?" and that is definitely what is happening!

Incidentally we DO have 2 coffee shops signed up! They are Piccolos on London Road and Honey Pie Tearoom. I am in negotiations with or have got appointments booked with several other coffee shops in Sheffield! All this has been done while I am hundreds of miles from home on a weak internet connection with patchy phone signal! Imagine how fast things will grow once I'm back in not so sunny Sheffield!!

Who knows, you might even find yourself buying a suspended coffee in your favourite Sheffield coffee shop very soon

Well, despite my misgivings I admire your industry and I wish you the best of luck. I'll be the first to pat you on the back if it goes well.

I think you have to expect some opposition once it gets out on a public domain like this. In a way it might be a good thing, people playing devils advocate. It forces you to look at the idea objectively and address it's weaknesses.

I look forward to hearing more of your success in future...Good luck.

---------- Post added 03-04-2013 at 17:12 ----------

And another thing least it got people debating the idea and talking about it, that's a good sign!

Are there really people who are walking about thinking...if only there was a scheme where I could buy a homeless person a coffee? Why not just buy a homeless person a coffee? Why not just say to the Big Issue man/woman – I’m going to get a coffee, do you want one?

Admire your enthusiasm though focusedhypno. Best of luck with it.

Everyone is so busy these days Kthebean. Many of us think it would be a great idea to buy someone a coffee and there really is nothing stopping anyone from doing that. The suspended coffee idea has seemed to strike a chord with many people and the option to be able to do some good while supporting a local (usually independent) coffee shop and for it not to take too much time or effort is appealing to many people.

It is a bit of a sorry state of affairs that many of us don't have 5 minutes to buy someone a coffee but it's true.

I walk past loads of homeless people and dont acknowledge them, same as I walk past hundreds of other people I dont know and dont acknowledge them. It doesnt mean im trying to pretend they dont all exist. Cant stand it when people suggest we all pretend the homeless dont exist just because we dont shower them all with charity. Fact is these guys may have nothing but 90% of people have less than nothing if they totted everything up.

I wasn't talking specifically about you lil minx, I was generalising. Sure you walk past hundreds of people and don't acknowledge them. But they don't acknowledge you. And they don't ask you for help. The difference is that many homeless people WILL ask for help and the truth is many people WILL ignore them.

I'm not sure what you mean by "less than nothing". Surely if you don't have a home, job, food and just about have the clothes on your back it is pretty hard to have less than that. I am pretty sure most people, while not being flush, do have enough to spare some. I know I do. I am just looking for a way to seize upon an idea that has captured the public's attention and use it to help people who have very little.

---------- Post added 03-04-2013 at 19:16 ----------

Well, despite my misgivings I admire your industry and I wish you the best of luck. I'll be the first to pat you on the back if it goes well.

I think you have to expect some opposition once it gets out on a public domain like this. In a way it might be a good thing, people playing devils advocate. It forces you to look at the idea objectively and address it's weaknesses.

I look forward to hearing more of your success in future...Good luck.

---------- Post added 03-04-2013 at 17:12 ----------

And another thing least it got people debating the idea and talking about it, that's a good sign!

Thanks a lot TJC1. You're right, having a chat about this kind of stuff, if nothing else, could help so why not!?

Thanks for your good wishes too.

You're right, having a chat about this kind of stuff, if nothing else, could help so why not!?

The next time I see a homeless person, I'm going to look at the surrounding food outlets and ask them what they would like to eat, then I'll go in, buy it for them and be on my way. Obviously I can't do anything for nothing so I'll make them hold a sign for the rest of the day advertising my company name.

Actually, there you go, a great idea. Homeless people for the most part sit in high footfall areas all day long. So the homeless person gets 3 meals paid for every day for a week and all he has to do is wear a T-shirt or sandwich board outside the sponsors shop that says "My meals this week are being sponsored by... said shop, Go inside for an amazing tasty experience."

I mean if you're going to encourage homeless people to loiter outside shops, might as well use them effectively. They could hold one of those big sponge arrows, go inside here!!!

Edited by FACEBOOK

I gave a homeless my free 12oz hot drink McDonalds monopoly coupon other day.

That would be an idea. Instead of buying a suspended coffee, buy a...suspended coffee coupon or something, then you can judge who looks homeless enough to deserve it.

I'd never heard of this til yesterday but it's something I'd consider. I have bought food in the past for a homeless chap, he was very grateful, even more so as I bought a few tins of food for his dog who was obviously this guys world.

The next time I see a homeless person, I'm going to look at the surrounding food outlets and ask them what they would like to eat, then I'll go in, buy it for them and be on my way. Obviously I can't do anything for nothing so I'll make them hold a sign for the rest of the day advertising my company name.

Actually, there you go, a great idea. Homeless people for the most part sit in high footfall areas all day long. So the homeless person gets 3 meals paid for every day for a week and all he has to do is wear a T-shirt or sandwich board outside the sponsors shop that says "My meals this week are being sponsored by... said shop, Go inside for an amazing tasty experience."

I mean if you're going to encourage homeless people to loiter outside shops, might as well use them effectively. They could hold one of those big sponge arrows, go inside here!!!

You nasty piece of work, hope you never get ill, lose your job and your house, no where to go........... But there we go, some talk absolute drivel without knowing the ins and outs. Get back on your high horse!!! Maybe a homeless person could hold your charger for you.... God im bloody mad

You nasty piece of work, hope you never get ill, lose your job and your house, no where to go........... But there we go, some talk absolute drivel without knowing the ins and outs. Get back on your high horse!!! Maybe a homeless person could hold your charger for you.... God im bloody mad

I'm not being nasty. I genuinely think that's a win win. What's wrong with it. If I was hungry I'd expect to do something to get fed for free. What's wrong with you.