Would you buy a suspended coffee?

I actually really respect the people who refused my drink & food in the past because it went against their beliefs. QUOTE]

Maybe if you had stopped & asked them in the first place if they would like a sarnie or drink & what sort they wanted this situation could of been avoided.

Much easier to ask rather than assume.

You have got my point exactly Spats. Until I had these experiences I had never even considered that someone on the street would refuse a hot drink or something to eat. My assumptions about what they needed were wrong. Incidentally I couldn't ask them if they wanted a drink/food as I had driven past them and walked back to them with my donation.

Well we had our first donation today .I told our lovely customer it hadn't started yet but he insisted .So we have our first Suspended coffee written up as Due .Here's to many more . Have there been any more advances in how we are going to do it Hypno ?

Well we had our first donation today .I told our lovely customer it hadn't started yet but he insisted .So we have our first Suspended coffee written up as Due .Here's to many more . Have there been any more advances in how we are going to do it Hypno ?

Brilliant stuff! SO pleased!!

I am on the last day of my holiday and will be heading back to a hopefully sunny Sheffield tomorrow. The plan is to meet with as many coffee shop owners as possible over the next week or so and to talk directly to them about the scheme and to gauge levels of interest and discover any concerns or misgivings.

Once there is a handful of shops participating I will be bringing all the shop owners together one evening to work together on how to implement the plan so that we all work to pretty much the same plan but with a bit of variation between shops (I would imagine) to accommodate all needs.

I am hoping by the time that meeting happens that I will have found a printer who will be willing to print vouchers/fliers/posters to promote the scheme.

The website domain and hosting has been acquired (BIG thanks to Joe Pritchard for donating that!) and I will be getting content on the site soon as I'm home.

I have today emailed a press release to about 30 local media outlets detailing what the group is and the direction it is going in. More press releases will be sent over the coming weeks to detail developments.

Things are moving along nicely!

I'll pop in and see you next week Autumn if that's OK? How are you fixed Monday afternoon?

I am normally only there Thursday and Friday but if you can give me a time I can pop down . We open at 9 and close at 2.30 .I will send you our home phone number on Fb ,still not got to grips with messaging on here haha.Look forward to meeting you Hypno :)

It's all gone very quiet about this proposal. Has there been any progress?

Hi Spats,

Thanks for the interest in the project! Yes things are happening....

There was an article in the Sheffield Telegraph t'other day about suspended coffee suspended coffee sheffield

I was interviewed on Radio Sheffield 2 days ago on the drive time show.

I have also had a meeting with Jo at Honey Pie Tearoom on Chesterfield Road (she has a great place and I highly recommend visiting!)

I have spoken with Piccolo on London Road and got a better idea of what they are looking for and today I met with Chris at Grounded Coffee in Meadowhall. He is keen to be involved and gave me some great ideas on how to nail down the idea.

The next stage is consulting with an accountant about some of the practicalities of businesses potentially taking in money for good causes.

If there are any accountants out there who would like to offer some free advice just drop me a line!

I have been speaking to the Pay It Forward Foundation who have been offering advice and support on how to set up the scheme and have put me in touch with several other people around the world who are involved in Suspended Coffee or have skills and ideas that could help.

All this on top of running my own business and website, getting back on top of the emails etc from while I was on holiday, redecorating the kitchen and kids room and moving my business to a new clinic in Sharrow! Oh, and my wife is about 6 weeks away from giving birth to #2 so I'm doing a fair bit of extra stuff round the house because she can't manage it!!

No wonder I'm tired!

If anyone out there likes the idea of suspended coffee and wants to help the project in any way you are MORE than welcome to! No offers of help will be refused!

Oh, and we are still looking for a printer who might be willing to offer a bit of free time & resources to help us get the word out. They would get a LOT of gratitude and would be thanked big time on the suspended coffee website that is in development.

The next stage is consulting with an accountant about some of the practicalities of businesses potentially taking in money for good causes.

If there are any accountants out there who would like to offer some free advice just drop me a line!

I don't think you need an accountant for that, there is nothing different unless the offering is under cost. If a coffee costs 30p and sells at £2.50 and the retailer takes over 30p from a customer to lay another away they are liable on the difference between the cost and the amount they take as profit. If they charge under cost they would need to get into a quasi charitable arrangement which would probably cost more than it saved. Obviously if they charge the customer face value with no discount then they simply double their turnover on that customer and pay the tax on that same as they would if it were two regular customers.

I cant help but think an important element of this idea is being missed. That is, no one is actually talking to the people for whom this idea is being developed!

It's all very well to have an idea, get it onto social media, get lots of 'likes' & encourage like minded folk to support & grow the idea. But, has anyone actually been into the Sheffield's support organizations & spoken to the homeless people about what they think or want? Do they really want this? How would they want it run? How can participating businesses facilitate this idea for their benefit in a way that is easily accessible & not demeaning in any way to the poor & homeless?

The advancing of this idea is great, but I think so far it has been a bit too one sided. Maybe a visit to Cathedral Archer Project, St Wilfreds etc should be next on the agenda. Talk to the people you are trying to help. In the end you can have as many Businesses as you like signing up, but if you haven't engaged your target audience it will not fly.

Edited by spats