Would you buy a suspended coffee?

I cant help but think an important element of this idea is being missed. That is, no one is actually talking to the people for whom this idea is being developed!

It's all very well to have an idea, get it onto social media, get lots of 'likes' & encourage like minded folk to support & grow the idea. But, has anyone actually been into the Sheffield's support organizations & spoken to the homeless people about what they think or want? Do they really want this? How would they want it run? How can participating businesses facilitate this idea for their benefit in a way that is easily accessible & not demeaning in any way to the poor & homeless?

The advancing of this idea is great, but I think so far it has been a bit too one sided. Maybe a visit to Cathedral Archer Project, St Wilfreds etc should be next on the agenda. Talk to the people you are trying to help. In the end you can have as many Businesses as you like signing up, but if you haven't engaged your target audience it will not fly.

Thanks for your input Spats. I have spoken to various organisations, both recently and over the years and the one thing that has been common to them all is a shortfall in funding. I am looking at ways that suspended coffee can be about helping local organisations that need support getting it while at the same time helping to boost their own fundraising and exposure.

---------- Post added 13-04-2013 at 20:31 ----------

I don't think you need an accountant for that, there is nothing different unless the offering is under cost. If a coffee costs 30p and sells at £2.50 and the retailer takes over 30p from a customer to lay another away they are liable on the difference between the cost and the amount they take as profit. If they charge under cost they would need to get into a quasi charitable arrangement which would probably cost more than it saved. Obviously if they charge the customer face value with no discount then they simply double their turnover on that customer and pay the tax on that same as they would if it were two regular customers.

Thanks Andy. I am seriously considering that the price of a suspended coffee should not be the "standard" cost of a coffee as this would mean that many people wouldn't donate. By making it £1 and that £1 being used either as a straight donation or being used to generate random acts of kindness through various things that are in the pipeline I think there will be many more people donating.

---------- Post added 13-04-2013 at 20:33 ----------

Me!

Me!

Me!

THANKS CGKSHEFF!!!!!

Please tell me you are a printer! *fingers AND toes crossed* If not you are STILL more than welcome to help. Drop me a DM with your email and I'll be in touch

Thanks for your input Spats. I have spoken to various organisations, both recently and over the years and the one thing that has been common to them all is a shortfall in funding. I am looking at ways that suspended coffee can be about helping local organisations that need support getting it while at the same time helping to boost their own fundraising and exposure.

Now this confuses me. Are you wanting to set up an easy to access system for the poor & homeless to get a free coffee or are you wanting to assist homelessness support organisations with their shortfall in funding?

Thanks Andy. I am seriously considering that the price of a suspended coffee should not be the "standard" cost of a coffee as this would mean that many people wouldn't donate. By making it £1 and that £1 being used either as a straight donation or being used to generate random acts of kindness through various things that are in the pipeline I think there will be many more people donating.

Once again I feel I have to point out that this sounds like a mixed message. Do you want people to contribute to the suspended coffee idea or are you asking them to give their money to the organisations that support the homeless?

I am only supposing here, but I would imagine that if these organisations had the option, they would prefer to have money donations directly sent to them so they can utilize the funds where they are most needed (which isn't necessarily going to be on money diverted into free coffees). They may have more pressing issues ie rent, staff wages, vital equipment etc.

Does that make any sense? What I'm trying to say (I think) is that you are mixing one objective up with the other.

I think it would maybe be better to focus on one or the other, ie is it the suspended coffee system that is your main aim or is it to draw attention to the fact that more money needs to be generated into supporting the organisations that help the homeless?

Hope I don't sound too pedantic...but you have confused me a little with your replies.

ps You forgot to say if you have at any point asked the poor or homeless what they think or want.

Edited by spats
forgot a bit!

Now this confuses me. Are you wanting to set up an easy to access system for the poor & homeless to get a free coffee or are you wanting to assist homelessness support organisations with their shortfall in funding?

Once again I feel I have to point out that this sounds like a mixed message. Do you want people to contribute to the suspended coffee idea or are you asking them to give their money to the organisations that support the homeless?

I am only supposing here, but I would imagine that if these organisations had the option, they would prefer to have money donations directly sent to them so they can utilize the funds where they are most needed (which isn't necessarily going to be on money diverted into free coffees). They may have more pressing issues ie rent, staff wages, vital equipment etc.

Does that make any sense? What I'm trying to say (I think) is that you are mixing one objective up with the other.

I think it would maybe be better to focus on one or the other, ie is it the suspended coffee system that is your main aim or is it to draw attention to the fact that more money needs to be generated into supporting the organisations that help the homeless?

Hope I don't sound too pedantic...but you have confused me a little with your replies.

ps You forgot to say if you have at any point asked the poor or homeless what they think or want.

Hi Spats, Sorry for the confusion ... Suspended coffee is not one single definable approach and in talking to various suspended coffee groups around the world, local coffee shop owners and potential donors and it seems that the way for things to be as straight forward as possible and have the most appeal to donors and shop owners and have the biggest potential to help people in and around Sheffield is to use the suspended coffee name to ask people to donate by suspending a coffee. This money is a nice round £1. All shops part of the scheme then pool the money and it is then given directly to those who can do some good with it around the city.

The plan is that the money is used to put smiles on faces on people you might see in the streets around you. I am currently waiting to hear back from my accountant about the potential of this scheme working from a financial(and legal) point of view as I have never done anything like this before. Early signs are looking good though!

Sorry for the confusion, that's the problem with an evolving idea and trying to co-ordinate it between various people and groups! Once the plan for Sheffield is nailed down it will make it MUCH easier for coffee shops to sign up to the scheme and then we can start doing some good.

When would be the right time for me to say I TOLD YOU SO? Are all the coffee shops nodding in righteous agreement at what a great cause it is but yet none of them actually signing up to a scheme which promotes homeless people into their stores? I genuinely get off on being right, so when you tell me I was right, I'm going to take the day off, lay back smugly in my chaise lounge, gaze dreamily at myself in my hand mirror, (I always carry one of those), and say to myself, you've outdone yourself this time facebook, you are so wonderfully insightful, how do you do it. You really are the best!

After reading FH last reply I was beginning to think that the free coffees for the homeless idea had morphed into a general sort of 'Barista Chugging at the paypoint' idea to raise money for homeless causes. May be we will get an update soon.

May be we will get an update soon.

When you update it Focus, can you please start it with "YOU WERE RIGHT FACEBOOK" so I can just get on with my "fabulous" routine instead of having to read through any excuses. Thanks.

I've definitely thought more about the homeless due to this thread and how I can personally make a difference so maybe that is as good a victory as any if more people are aware who previously were not. Hooray after all!

No, for the reason that you have no idea IF the coffee makes it to the people you intend it to go to.

If you are going to do this on a regular basis, set-up a standing order to a charity like Shelter who work to help the homeless in mush more effective ways.

OK, update time...

Fist up, Facebook prepare to weep into your cornflakes, you were NOT right (probably not for the first time I'm guessing!) There is nothing wrong with the many forms that suspended coffee around the world takes. It is a fantastic idea and it s up to individuals to take that idea and make it work for their shop, neighbourhood or city.

If Facebook you had said "Rich, you are taking on a big job on top of a lot of other responsibilities, you'll need some help mate" I would DEFINITELY be saying "you were right Facebook".

I have been trying to take on board the various ideas/suggestions/criticisms posted here and on other sites online and make the Sheffield scheme as good as possible. Trying to please all the people all the time is always going to be a challenge though!

As a result of posting here and on Facebook I have had many people offer their time and support to help the idea happen which is great as I really can't do it on my own.

If anyone would like to support the idea they are welcome to get in touch with me here. No specific skills are needed, just a willingness to help.

I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who has contributed ideas and support up to this point and would like to say a huge thank you to all the people who have committed to help the idea continue to move forward.

Focused, you can't possibly expect me to allow you to get away with that as an update.

What are the numbers? How many shops have signed up to date?

Where can homeless people right now get free coffees?

Come on now, tell me I was right and we can all get on with our day.