Would you buy a suspended coffee?

Listen, anybody with any sense recognises that it's a stupid idea, even Starbucks themselves have admitted this with their half arsed attempt to appease people such as yourself and introduce their own version of 'suspended coffee'.

No doubt you'll still not be happy with this and wont be content until you have a genuine tramp sat next to you in Starbucks with a coffee you have just paid for, but it's not going to happen unless you bring him off the streets yourself and buy him the coffee there and then.

It's a stupid idea, it's never going to happen, it's never going to work and Starbucks have brushed it under the rug because they don't want to entertain such a nonsense idea.

Thanks for your input Hans! I'm loving your take on life, the universe and everything! Your comments just make me more determined to do something...ANYTHING....that might put a smile on someone's face and do a bit of good. I'm sick of sitting at home bitching about the world saying that someone should do something so I'm doing something.

I'm not going to jack in my job and become a full time charity worker. I'm not going to give my spare room to someone on the streets to move into but I am going to try and connect the people who give a damn with the people who would like a bit of support. Even if the starting point for that support is just a a cup of coffee. I think there are more than a few coffee shops around Sheffield (and definitely around the world!) would would be more than happy to lose customers like you in return for getting more customers like Mr Bloom and Spats.

If you want to stand up in a coffee shop and announce "I think it is disgusting that this person who is down on their luck is allowed in here to get a free drink or bit of food" then you do that. I like to think that the majority of the other patrons in that shop will tell you to shut up or at a minimum ignore you. Time will tell I suppose.

I am in the process of arranging a suspended coffee meeting for coffee shop owners and anyone else interested in the idea to come along so we can see what we can do to make a bit of a difference. You would be more than welcome to come along and tell us where we are going wrong and what we could do instead to make things a bit better for other people ;)

They are trying it in that there london http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22267613.

Who would have thunk it!? Suspended coffee is truely global. I am aware of groups in Melbourne, Sydney, Canada, America, Romania, Bulgaria, China and even Huddersfield!

---------- Post added 01-05-2013 at 21:13 ----------

For anyone that is interested in suspended coffee in Sheffield there is going to be a meeting at Honey Pie Tearoom on Chesterfield Road on Thursday 9th May at 6pm.

If there s anyone who is willing to offer their skills (whatever they may be!) or time to help the project they are more than welcome. Anyone just curious about what suspended coffee is you are more than welcome to come along. There will be several coffee shop owners from around Sheffield coming but more are always welcome. Anyone who is opposed to the idea of suspended coffee is also more than welcome to come along as this feedback could be especially useful in helping us find solutions to challenges.

If you would like to come along please post a reply below just so I have some idea about numbers of people coming.

Who would have thunk it!? Suspended coffee is truely global. I am aware of groups in Melbourne, Sydney, Canada, America, Romania, Bulgaria, China and even Huddersfield!

---------- Post added 01-05-2013 at 21:13 ----------

For anyone that is interested in suspended coffee in Sheffield there is going to be a meeting at Honey Pie Tearoom on Chesterfield Road on Thursday 9th May at 6pm.

If there s anyone who is willing to offer their skills (whatever they may be!) or time to help the project they are more than welcome. Anyone just curious about what suspended coffee is you are more than welcome to come along. There will be several coffee shop owners from around Sheffield coming but more are always welcome. Anyone who is opposed to the idea of suspended coffee is also more than welcome to come along as this feedback could be especially useful in helping us find solutions to challenges.

If you would like to come along please post a reply below just so I have some idea about numbers of people coming.

Is the venue an accessible one, please? no steps etc?

Thanks for your input Hans! I'm loving your take on life, the universe and everything! Your comments just make me more determined to do something...ANYTHING....that might put a smile on someone's face and do a bit of good. I'm sick of sitting at home bitching about the world saying that someone should do something so I'm doing something.

I'm not going to jack in my job and become a full time charity worker. I'm not going to give my spare room to someone on the streets to move into but I am going to try and connect the people who give a damn with the people who would like a bit of support. Even if the starting point for that support is just a a cup of coffee. I think there are more than a few coffee shops around Sheffield (and definitely around the world!) would would be more than happy to lose customers like you in return for getting more customers like Mr Bloom and Spats.

If you want to stand up in a coffee shop and announce "I think it is disgusting that this person who is down on their luck is allowed in here to get a free drink or bit of food" then you do that. I like to think that the majority of the other patrons in that shop will tell you to shut up or at a minimum ignore you. Time will tell I suppose.

I am in the process of arranging a suspended coffee meeting for coffee shop owners and anyone else interested in the idea to come along so we can see what we can do to make a bit of a difference. You would be more than welcome to come along and tell us where we are going wrong and what we could do instead to make things a bit better for other people ;)

Ha! And they said good men no longer existed. Superb post and I take my hat off to you sir. Well, not hat, more chainsaw helmet these days but same basic principle. I'm happy to come along although my take would be more excess fresh produce distribution (fruit and veg) and if it could be tied into this so no problems if that would be a distraction in this nascent venture.

You're a fine fellow!

Andy

Is the venue an accessible one, please? no steps etc?

From what I remember the venue is fairly accessible but I think there may be one small step from street level into the shop.

---------- Post added 03-05-2013 at 15:23 ----------

Ha! And they said good men no longer existed. Superb post and I take my hat off to you sir. Well, not hat, more chainsaw helmet these days but same basic principle. I'm happy to come along although my take would be more excess fresh produce distribution (fruit and veg) and if it could be tied into this so no problems if that would be a distraction in this nascent venture.

You're a fine fellow!

Andy

Thanks Andy, very kind of you to say so!

Yes the idea does centre around coffee but I think it will be a VERY small step to add in other elements like fresh fruit and veg. I know that suspended coffee has been focused by some on people who are homeless. I think that by opening it up to anyone in need that even more good could be done.

The kind of people who give a damn enough to buy a coffee for someone are also the kind of people who would be interested in helping other people in need through other means. I think that by tying people in to the suspended coffee facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/suspendedcoffeesheffield) or the Twitter profile (http://www.twitter.com/suspendedsheff) it will be pretty easy to co-ordinate those who can with those who need.

Would be great to meet you at the meeting on the 9th if you can make it?

From what I remember the venue is fairly accessible but I think there may be one small step from street level into the shop.

---------- Post added 03-05-2013 at 15:23 ----------

Thanks Andy, very kind of you to say so!

Yes the idea does centre around coffee but I think it will be a VERY small step to add in other elements like fresh fruit and veg. I know that suspended coffee has been focused by some on people who are homeless. I think that by opening it up to anyone in need that even more good could be done.

The kind of people who give a damn enough to buy a coffee for someone are also the kind of people who would be interested in helping other people in need through other means. I think that by tying people in to the suspended coffee facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/suspendedcoffeesheffield) or the Twitter profile (http://www.twitter.com/suspendedsheff) it will be pretty easy to co-ordinate those who can with those who need.

Would be great to meet you at the meeting on the 9th if you can make it?

I don't think I shall be able to make this, as, looking a the streetview picture supplied by CKG, the step is quite high.