Would you buy a suspended coffee?

I might buy one from an independent cafe, but not from a chain. Yes, you might be giving a homeless person a free coffee but you're also handing more profit to the likes of Starbucks, who care so much about our society's safety net that they pay naff all corporation tax.

Absolutely!

If Starbucks et al paid their fair share of tax there wouldn't be so many needy people in the first place.

Buying from an independent cafe helps both the needy person and helps the independent shopkeeper stay in business.

I applaud the people trying to get this off the ground. It restores my faith in people power.

Good luck!

It is with a very heavy heart that I am forcing myself to step back from the suspended coffee plan for Sheffield. This is not because of any inherent flaw in the idea as it is going great guns in places like Melbourne, but because of my personal circumstances are preventing me from doing everything needed to progress the idea.

I am currently running my own business and website, helping my wife go self employed and setting up her websites, home educating child #1 and looking after baby #2 while also doing all those other things to try and mean that I have some kind of work/life balance in order to be physically and mentally capable of getting up the next day and doing it all over again.

If there is anyone out there who is interested in taking up the idea, or perhaps a group of people, I would be more than happy to pass the idea on to them rather than just unplugging the idea and letting the progress made be for naught.

At the moment there is a Facebook group with a good few hundred local people following and supporting the idea, a number of coffee shops signed up in principal, a website waiting to be added to, a strong international community looking to support and encourage, a great sponsor in the form of Sho-ping, a printer willing to donate resources to promoting the scheme. I simply don't have the time to do what is needed.

I know certain forumers (I'll refrain from naming names!) will take this as their cue to say "I told you so" but frankly I couldn't give a monkey's and comments like that will be like water off a duck's back! :mrgreen:

I heard about an idea, I ran with it and I tried to make it work but couldn't. I am very proud of myself for giving it a go and will continue to practise random acts of kindness where ever I can, not just those in need, and hope that the people who liked the idea of suspended coffee will either take up the mantle and do what they can to progress the idea or will also do random acts of kindness themselves and put some smiles on people's faces :hihi:

The one thing that will make a difference is supporting local coffee shops, whether they do suspended coffee or not, because more of the money spent in these places as opposed to the coffee chain stores will stay in the local community and end up benefiting us, the people of this forum and this city.

It is with a very heavy heart that I am forcing myself to step back from the suspended coffee plan for Sheffield. This is not because of any inherent flaw in the idea as it is going great guns in places like Melbourne, but because of my personal circumstances are preventing me from doing everything needed to progress the idea.

I am currently running my own business and website, helping my wife go self employed and setting up her websites, home educating child #1 and looking after baby #2 while also doing all those other things to try and mean that I have some kind of work/life balance in order to be physically and mentally capable of getting up the next day and doing it all over again.

If there is anyone out there who is interested in taking up the idea, or perhaps a group of people, I would be more than happy to pass the idea on to them rather than just unplugging the idea and letting the progress made be for naught.

At the moment there is a Facebook group with a good few hundred local people following and supporting the idea, a number of coffee shops signed up in principal, a website waiting to be added to, a strong international community looking to support and encourage, a great sponsor in the form of Sho-ping, a printer willing to donate resources to promoting the scheme. I simply don't have the time to do what is needed.

I know certain forumers (I'll refrain from naming names!) will take this as their cue to say "I told you so" but frankly I couldn't give a monkey's and comments like that will be like water off a duck's back! :mrgreen:

I heard about an idea, I ran with it and I tried to make it work but couldn't. I am very proud of myself for giving it a go and will continue to practise random acts of kindness where ever I can, not just those in need, and hope that the people who liked the idea of suspended coffee will either take up the mantle and do what they can to progress the idea or will also do random acts of kindness themselves and put some smiles on people's faces :hihi:

The one thing that will make a difference is supporting local coffee shops, whether they do suspended coffee or not, because more of the money spent in these places as opposed to the coffee chain stores will stay in the local community and end up benefiting us, the people of this forum and this city.

Don't worry about the pleb element of S.F. There are some very unhappy people around on this forum, and the only way they deal with their sadness is to spread it around. I pity them.

You've done a wonderful job bringing it this far. I know that you're a very busy man - and the fact that you've worked hard to try and make this happen is a testament to who you are as a person.

Catch you Wednesday fella. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I heard about an idea, I ran with it and I tried to make it work but couldn't.

Well well well. What do we have here. :D

If only someone with a little foresight had given you some exceptional advice, they could have probably saved you a lot of silly bother.

You can PM me your apology if you like, or on this thread, either is fine.

---------- Post added 17-10-2013 at 13:09 ----------

You've done a wonderful job bringing it this far. I know that you're a very busy man - and the fact that you've worked hard to try and make this happen is a testament to who you are as a person. Catch you Wednesday fella. ;)

It's friends like you who tell their tone deaf best mate they really can sing and should definitely audition for the X factor. :hihi:

Man this is a shame because I went out last night a blew a lot of money on booze and taxis so a suspended coffee right now would not only go some way in relieving some of the financial burden of sobering up but would also mean I can use the money I would have spent on the coffee on an extra beer on Friday night.

That's a nasty, selfish thing to say. As someone said before it could be done on a takeaway basis.

I read the post on facebook earlier this morning and I came on here planning on starting a thread to mention it. However I found this one already on the go. But why are there so many knockers on here. If this can work in a country like America where the facebook post came from I am sure it can work here.

I would be willing to buy an extra cup of coffee if I was in a participating coffee shop. When in the City Centre I will always buy a Big Issue and if I see someone sat begging I won't give them money but I will pop into McDonalds and buy them a burger and a coffee, or Greggs and buy hot soup and a sausage roll in there. But if there was no one around or I just happened to pop in the coffee shop before encountering anyone I would just buy the coffee.

By far the biggest coffee chain in America is Dunkin' Donuts. I don't know how charitable they are in the inner Cities because, like me, most people go for coffee in their cars out on the highway, where you won't find many homeless. But City people tend to be charitable to others a little less fortunate than themselves, and will buy you a cup of coffee if you can't afford one. As for DD they lower the price for any Senior Citizen who comes in.