Would you buy a suspended coffee?

How little you know me. I don't blow smoke up people's arses.

Well you say that, but I saw Focused the other day and I can only imagine his pants must have been on fire shortly before because the amount of smoke that was bellowing out from behind him was insane. There are many people on this thread who are responsible for that smoke. Please be mindful folks, when you blow this much smoke up someones backside, it has to go somewhere. What goes in must come out.

I'm not being nasty to Focused, I am simply trying to get focused to focus on a plan that will really work. Doesn't that make me a champion of the homeless? I think it does. When it comes to charity people should leave their egos at the door.

---------- Post added 26-10-2013 at 10:45 ----------

If I was tasked with raising cash for the homeless by utilising local shops and businesses, I would put a few rules in place. The campaign must BENEFIT the businesses who agree to run with it. There must not be any potential risk that we could damage trade or reputation for the business. That running with our campaign does not effect the normal day to day operations of the business so they don't need to allocate extra manpower or staff time etc.

This means that under no circumstances are homeless people going to be encouraged to wait in or around a business in the hope of immediate freebies. This would have disastrous long term effects for any business and even more so on a food and beverage outlet. Jesus, if you feel so strongly about buying a homeless person a coffee, go into a coffee shop, buy a coffee and go take it to them. But you may want to ask them first, they may not want a bloody coffee. If I was homeless and you brought over a coffee for me, I'd say, thanks for the coffee but I'm more concerned with the fact that I may freeze to death this evening or get eaten by badgers whilst I sleep rough but if it makes you feel good about yourself I'll drink it eh. :roll:

So with that in mind, we now need to come up with a wonderful idea to raise cash for the homeless and help INCREASE trade for the business. That's right, to increase the profits of the business. Why do you think the owners went into business in the first place. It certainly wasn't so they could help good causes I can tell you that much. So if you want a business to help you, you better bring something to the table so that they will WANT to sign up, something that will benefit them and increasing trade is the best incentive for cooperation.

If I was tasked with raising cash for the homeless by utilising local shops and businesses, I would put a few rules in place. The campaign must BENEFIT the businesses who agree to run with it. There must not be any potential risk that we could damage trade or reputation for the business. That running with our campaign does not effect the normal day to day operations of the business so they don't need to allocate extra manpower or staff time etc.

This means that under no circumstances are homeless people going to be encouraged to wait in or around a business in the hope of immediate freebies. This would have disastrous long term effects for any business and even more so on a food and beverage outlet. Jesus, if you feel so strongly about buying a homeless person a coffee, go into a coffee shop, buy a coffee and go take it to them. But you may want to ask them first, they may not want a bloody coffee. If I was homeless and you brought over a coffee for me, I'd say, thanks for the coffee but I'm more concerned with the fact that I may freeze to death this evening or get eaten by badgers whilst I sleep rough but if it makes you feel good about yourself I'll drink it eh. :roll:

So with that in mind, we now need to come up with a wonderful idea to raise cash for the homeless and help INCREASE trade for the business. That's right, to increase the profits of the business. Why do you think the owners went into business in the first place. It certainly wasn't so they could help good causes I can tell you that much. So if you want a business to help you, you better bring something to the table so that they will WANT to sign up, something that will benefit them and increasing trade is the best incentive for cooperation.

I think this sums up the situation perfectly, but the lack of people coming forward to support you indicates to me that many people agree with the suspended coffee idea without any regard or knowledge of the practicalities involved.

Maybe they don't want to be seen as knocking a charitable idea?

Maybe it's your style of posting that makes people not take your ideas seriously, and see them only as knocking someone who is trying to do their bit?

I agree it's unlikely to be as successful in Sheffield as it probably is elsewhere, but if someone is prepared to put their time and effort into giving it a go then why not let them?

I also agree about the ego thing, but we all know that the way people come across on a forum may not be the way they are in real life.

I think this sums up the situation perfectly, but the lack of people coming forward to support you indicates to me that many people agree with the suspended coffee idea without any regard or knowledge of the practicalities involved.

Maybe they don't want to be seen as knocking a charitable idea?

Maybe it's your style of posting that makes people not take your ideas seriously, and see them only as knocking someone who is trying to do their bit?

I agree it's unlikely to be as successful in Sheffield as it probably is elsewhere, but if someone is prepared to put their time and effort into giving it a go then why not let them?

I also agree about the ego thing, but we all know that the way people come across on a forum may not be the way they are in real life.

It's nice to be nice isn't it. Unfortunately, up to now, all this niceness has achieved absolutely nothing for the homeless and it's been months since this thread started. That is the reality. That is the cold hard truth. That is the result of all this niceness and good intention. I couldn't care less how noble the intentions are of any man, I care about the result. Less talk, action and result. That's how things get done, that's how success occurs, that's how real change happens.

Just from a personal viewpoint, in my opinion, the best way to help the homeless and have more impact in one evening than suspended coffee has achieved in the last few months is to help them, ONE AT A TIME!

Imagine if just a tiny percent of all the 10,000,000 zombies switched off strictly and the xfactor this evening and instead went upstairs and got some blankets and a sleeping bag, picked up some mcdonalds or a home baked pie and took it to the poor bloke sleeping rough in the church graveyard and then sat with him and talked for an hour or so. Some instant food, warmth and company. Is that not something we would all want if caught in such a desperate position. And you don't need anything to work for that campaign, just kindness and a little action.

Edited by FACEBOOK

I still stand by the idea that doing anything that benefits someone else, no matter how small a gesture it is is still better than doing nothing (or bitching about others who want to do something.)

I don't know if you have all heard or not but The Cathedral Archer Project are getting involved with the Rucksack Project (rucksackproject.org) and they have a Facebook page for the Sheffield branch of the project.

You can see the group here https://www.facebook.com/events/507388126024282.

The idea is to fill a rucksack with stuff that would be useful to someone on the streets and for the Archer Project to distribute the rucksacks.

Though I would share the scheme with the majority of people on this thread who support that kind of idea

I still stand by the idea that doing anything that benefits someone else, no matter how small a gesture it is is still better than doing nothing (or bitching about others who want to do something.)

I don't know if you have all heard or not but The Cathedral Archer Project are getting involved with the Rucksack Project (rucksackproject.org) and they have a Facebook page for the Sheffield branch of the project.

You can see the group here https://www.facebook.com/events/507388126024282.

The idea is to fill a rucksack with stuff that would be useful to someone on the streets and for the Archer Project to distribute the rucksacks.

Though I would share the scheme with the majority of people on this thread who support that kind of idea

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Focussed, it sounds like a really worthwhile scheme - especially at this time of year. I've got a spare rucksack and have a scour around my place to see if I can get together a few things that someone on the streets may find useful :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...

I noticed a oldish street sitter , sleeper whatever in Barnsley today , he was sat on the pavement not harassing any one just hoping for a hand out .

Kids from Barnsley college were getting lunch from pound bakery as usual and two of them brought him drinks and snacks out side , he thanked them and the kids gave him time of the day , 

They then had a whip-round and bought him a packet of fags .

Now I do not know if the guy is a genuine home less or a addict , And to be honest I don't care because he is obviously down and out , But those kids brought tears to my eyes , I told em that they are a credit to themselves , They thanked me for showing interest , made my and the street sitters day they did .

8 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

I noticed a oldish street sitter , sleeper whatever in Barnsley today , he was sat on the pavement not harassing any one just hoping for a hand out .

Kids from Barnsley college were getting lunch from pound bakery as usual and two of them brought him drinks and snacks out side , he thanked them and the kids gave him time of the day , 

They then had a whip-round and bought him a packet of fags .

Now I do not know if the guy is a genuine home less or a addict , And to be honest I don't care because he is obviously down and out , But those kids brought tears to my eyes , I told em that they are a credit to themselves , They thanked me for showing interest , made my and the street sitters day they did .

Nice to hear cuttsie. 

I think young people are often tarnished unfairly by the activities of a minority; however as you say, the majority are a credit to themselves.