University destroyed disabled student Phd data

It sounds like this is a pretty complicated situation all round. I don't think there is legal redress but I don't know for sure. Is she aware of all the avenues of support open to her in the complaint process? She could get in touch with the Welfare Officer if she hasn't already.

It sounds like this is a pretty complicated situation all round. I don't think there is legal redress but I don't know for sure. Is she aware of all the avenues of support open to her in the complaint process? She could get in touch with the Welfare Officer if she hasn't already.

She is under the university counselling service, not sure if this is the same as welfare, we'll pass it on - thanks

She is under the university counselling service, not sure if this is the same as welfare, we'll pass it on - thanks

No, different thing - the Welfare Officer is the Students' Union sabbatical officer whose remit covers support and representation. Details here.

The UCU might have some advice too if she's done any teaching etc.

No, different thing - the Welfare Officer is the Students' Union sabbatical officer whose remit covers support and representation. Details here.

The UCU might have some advice too if she's done any teaching etc.

Just checked - it was the SU Welfare officer who directed her to counselling but no further support - guess there is nothing more he could do. She did also approach UCU having done some lecturing and worked p/time for the university but UCU position is her primary status is a student and they do not undertake any casework with students despite actively canvassing for their membership. Looks like she really has tried every avenue but if you or anyone following this thread have any other ideas, we are willing to explore them. Thanks everyone

Just checked - it was the SU Welfare officer who directed her to counselling but no further support - guess there is nothing more he could do. She did also approach UCU having done some lecturing and worked p/time for the university but UCU position is her primary status is a student and they do not undertake any casework with students despite actively canvassing for their membership. Looks like she really has tried every avenue but if you or anyone following this thread have any other ideas, we are willing to explore them. Thanks everyone

Don't know which Uni the student is/was at, but there will be a formal complaints procedure, before which it will be necessary to meet up with someone from the Student Advice Centre or similar, e.g. https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/ssid/procedures/grid

Has this process been followed?

The only other thing I can think of is if she's funded by an external body, to approach someone there.

Otherwise as HJL says it's the formal complaints procedure - but if she's feeling that the procedure is unfair or difficult to access, I'd advise her to go back to the Union advice centre, the disability service or the counselling service and explicitly ask for them to advocate on her behalf - particularly if her disability is causing her problems with the procedure.

The head of postgraduate research in her department would be another avenue if she hasn't already made contact with them - but it sounds like she probably has by now.

Nobody has answered to my satisfaction why her disability makes any difference to this story.

Her disability might be linked to the problems she had with supervision, the office move, her ability to fully access support services - any number of things.

No one owes you an explanation.

Her disability might be linked to the problems she had with supervision, the office move, her ability to fully access support services - any number of things.

No one owes you an explanation.

No they dont, if no "explanation" is forthcoming I can only assume it has brought into it by the OP for no reason whatsoever and it actually isnt relevant in the slightest.

Funny how when someone is "gay", or "muslim" it gets mentioned, but never when they are straight or white. Same applies here.

No they dont, if no "explanation" is forthcoming I can only assume it has brought into it by the OP for no reason whatsoever and it actually isnt relevant in the slightest.

Funny how when someone is "gay", or "muslim" it gets mentioned, but never when they are straight or white. Same applies here.

Assume away! But just FYI - gay and Muslim are real 'things'.

Archived