University destroyed disabled student Phd data

What if the data was interviews with victims of sexual abuse?

What if it was analysis of tissue samples looking at probability of future diseases?

If you had participated in this research and personal data of this nature existed about you, would you want the researcher having a copy on usb stick in their pocket, or on a CD in their kitchen?

Data storage in research is a very ethical issue.

I would expect the data to be stored in a secure manner with adequate secure backups. I would NOT be happy if the data was only in a single location prone to loss, as it appears in this case. Will you be happy enough to give the same data/samples again because someone was carless enough to lose the only copy?

I would expect the data to be stored in a secure manner with adequate secure backups. I would NOT be happy if the data was only in a single location prone to loss, as it appears in this case. Will you be happy enough to give the same data/samples again because someone was carless enough to lose the only copy?

I thought from the OP that the thesis and backup was stored in a locked data cabinet in the manner prescribed for this type of data. i.e. not a location prone to loss. The university subsequently disposed of the cabinet, seemingly without checking the contents.

To put it in perspective, that's not a lot different to the lady who lost her jewellery recently when the bank lost her safety deposit box.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-21638048

Regarding the reference to her disability; it would seem that this was the reason she moved offices citing "office politics" and having lodged a complaint about those politics relating to her disability.

That's my reading of post 18 anyway.

I thought from the OP that the thesis and backup was stored in a locked data cabinet in the manner prescribed for this type of data. i.e. not a location prone to loss. The university subsequently disposed of the cabinet, seemingly without checking the contents.

I feel you missed out the most important point I was making and that was the SINGLE location

I feel you missed out the most important point I was making and that was the SINGLE location

I do understand exactly where you are coming from; I try and keep personal backups separate myself. :)

In my work environment, I'm required to keep a single backup in a locked drawer, which by definition is likely to be in broadly the same location as the laptop.

The implication from Post 20 was that there is a restriction on the number of backups permitted and that they were stored as required by the guidelines.

It may be that the guidelines are short sighted, or that the student didn't read them correctly. I guess we will never know.

• 4 months later...
will this accommodation resurrect the destroyed data?

no, didn't think so.

Not sure why you felt it necessary to resurrect an old thread just to spam your company. (which is against Forum Terms and Conditions ANYWAY!)

And all the other threads mentioning students. I suspect the ban hammer will be waved about shortly.

Archived