Pc world returns help

Need some advice on where a family member stands on a laptop bought at Xmas.

Ill keep it as short as I can.

Asus laptop bought 20th dec as an Xmas present for nearly £500.00 from pc world

Late January it starts freezing, so it was took back to shop and sent off for repair.

It returned mid February and then did the same only a few weeks later, took back to shop and sent off again, returned to us last Friday.

Today it has just cut out, screen has blanked/blacked out and from the look of the repair notes its had a new hard drive already.

Iv spoken on behalf of family member to pc world and pcw want to send it off for repair again, it's been repaired twice already, this would make it a third, they will not replace the laptop.

Now in the sale of goods act it states that a repair or replacement should be offered, we have already exercised the repaire option twice and feel a replacement is now easier.

It's been owned for 70 odd days and been in repair for nearly 40 and now they want it back again.

If anyone knows what rights we have, it would be of great help.

Thanks in advance.

Mac

They won't replace it, just keep saying its under guarantee with asus, not them.

Are we expected to return it, have it repaired several times, until the guarantee runs out then left with a faulty laptop that keeps breaking.

This is PCworld and sidestepping responsibility is par for the course for them.

Your guarantee is with them, not with ASUS - you have no contract with ASUS at all.

Normally after 70 days you would not have the right to a refund, however with the repeated faults and the length of time you are perfectly within your rights to require a refund. Was it paid for by credit card? If so the card company are jointly liable - get in touch with them, explain that PCW are being difficult and that you are rejecting the laptop and wish to claim the amount back from them.

Oherwise it's time to insist that PCW carry out their obligations, which will probably mean suing them in court.

Out of curiosity, is the laptop being used on a soft surface?

A common cause of freezing is overheating and using on a soft surface can restrict airflow. I've known people use them on a duvet before blocking off all airflow.

Incidentally, section 14 of the Sale of Goods act might help you, but if it is misuse that is causing the problem, the same will happen with a replacement.

Obelix, that's good advice, I called know-how head office in Sheffield funnily enough and they tried to direct me to asus, I told them that anything to do with asus is between asus and pc world and we bought the laptop from pc world, not asus.

They just fobbed us off again, with the repair. It was paid for by cash.

It's my mother who struggled like hell to buy this and now they are being like this instead of just replacing it.

Who do I go to next/where do I take the problem, surely it's not just a case of seeing them, trading standards ?

They won't replace it, just keep saying its under guarantee with asus, not them.

Are we expected to return it, have it repaired several times, until the guarantee runs out then left with a faulty laptop that keeps breaking.

Just explain to them that you bought the laptop there, so your contract is with them if inside 6 months & still not right, it inherently faulty. They have to replace not Asus, they are passing the buck, kick up a proper stink.

Archived